[WIN10] Is using Win7 Key on HP Box legit??

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by KonMan, May 16, 2019.

1. KonMan

KonMan Member

Hi All,

I have a few old HP Z210 boxes that have Win 7 Pro sticker on the box.

I installed Windows 10 (Pro) and just for the hell of it, used the Win7 key *after* I installed Win10 and did 'Change product key'... and it worked!!

Is this legit?? - Did HP register all their Win7 Keys to be able to be used with Win 10?

If I use these Z210 boxes at a business, is this OK?
    I don't think I registered these keys for the 'free upgrade' that expired a few years back...

- Im sure it has been asked before but, I did look through as many previous threads as I could (even the Windows 10 megathread) but without any luck....

Thanks,
    Kon.

2. Hater

Hater Member

It's legit and it works.

you can even use old Win7 keys on totally different PC's then the one the key is on. Works fine.

3. OP
    OP
    KonMan

KonMan Member

So, that's what I thought - once the activation server says "You are legit" - it means, you are actually legit ...

Is there any Microsoft documentation that says "If the key passes the Authentication, its ok to use that key?" or "Check your key here to see if you are ok"?

Cheers,
    Kon.

4. Hater

Hater Member

if you click on the activation screen, there is a speil about "by possessing this digital license you are hereby entitled to blah blah blah"

they don't care how you got the digital license

these days, they care more about people using up to date, genuine windows rather than old days where scalpers were making money selling dodgy licenses.

people who would have always bought windows will do it anyway, people who in the old days would figure out ways to not pay for windows would not end up paying for it anyway, so they made getting new legit licenses way easier to put the licence scammers out on their arse.

5. samus

samus Member

Hey Kon,

The stickers on the boxes are OEM keys, if you want to be pedantic, and are technically tied to the hardware that they are stuck on.

Hater is right they will work, but it's technically outside the license terms of the sticker.

I personally woudn't worry.

6. OP
    OP
    KonMan

KonMan Member

Hey Samus,

So Im actually using the Key for the Box that is on the Box - its not that Im trying to re-use it on another Motherboard or multiple times etc.

Im just curious why Microsoft is just not saying "If you have a valid Windows 7 Key for a machine, you can upgrade to Windows 10 on that machine using the Win 7 key"

K.

7. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

They'd expect you to happen to get an upgrade key, to still make a sale.