Isobar On UPS?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by pinkfloydeffect, Mar 27, 2020.

1. pinkfloydeffect

pinkfloydeffect Member

For a long time I have used a Tripplite Isobar for my home workstation with no UPS. Now I do have a UPS and I am wondering if I should still be using the Isobar? Is it redundant or a source or problems? I am pretty sure the UPS surge protection is better than the Isobar's right? Am I gaining anything by combining the two? I assume all the battery outlets on the UPS run on the same power rail, so connecting my devices to the Isobar and then connecting the Isobar to a single outlet on the UPS shouldent cause any load balance issues.

[​IMG]

2. Recharge

Recharge Member

there is no load balance on a standard UPS so yea.
    having another layer of surge protection is probably a good thing if you've got power issues.
    I don't know of any possible problem you'd have with a 2 tired setup like this.
    every UPS I've see so far does NOT have all the outlets on the same circuit, some are just surge protection and some battery backup
    this will be covered int he manual that came with the unit.

3. OP
    OP
    pinkfloydeffect

pinkfloydeffect Member

My guess is just 2; one for battery+surge and one for just surge.

4. Recharge

Recharge Member

would depend on the model of the UPS.
    some come with up to 6 sockets.

5. OP
    OP
    pinkfloydeffect

pinkfloydeffect Member

Cyberpower CP1500AVRLCDa - Has 6 surge and 6 surge+battery.

I believe 6 are on one circuit and 6 are on the other is what I am saying. Two circuits with 6 plugs on each.

6. OP
    OP
    pinkfloydeffect

pinkfloydeffect Member

We lost power to our office and the only thing I did not have on the UPS were our modems...so we briefly lost all our VPN users on my part. I scrambled to get them on the UPS before I left the office for the weekend and the only thing I had laying around at the office was another Isobar...so I connected the modems to the Isobar and plugged that into the UPS. Not a simple standalone home office UPS like the one I have pictured above but one of our commercial grade 5000VA rack UPS units.

I then realized I just did the same thing I did at home and became concerned so I called Tripplite on my way home, they told me not only will this void my warranty but it also potentially renders the surge protection disabled on both the Isobar and UPS unit. Do not understand exactly why but something to do with it confusing the surge modules the same way it does when you daisy chain surge strips since the UPS is a surge protector in itself. I just thought the surge protection logic's in a UPS were superior to a strip or Isobar so it would recognize that signal change and deal with it accordingly but apparently I am wrong.

This brings up a new concern because at the office we had surge protectors installed on our main breaker panels (DITEK ZEUS D200s). This means technically there are two surge protection devices daisy chained between the source and our equipment, first at the panel then at the UPS itself. I am going to have to reach back out to them about this, and do some side research.

7. Recharge

Recharge Member

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  8. OP
    OP
    pinkfloydeffect

pinkfloydeffect Member

That link only describes the problem as overloading a surge protector with more devices or load than the surge protector is rated for. Does not explain the technical reason why one would cancel out the other.

As to being the same as a UPS and Isobar, that is the $64,000 question and according to Tripplite the answer is yes.