1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Isometric (or other) RPG Recommendations?

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Deus_Ex_Machina, May 15, 2020.

1. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Hi All,
    So It's been a long time since I played any form of game like this and am looking for recommendations as to what I might like. Although Fallout eventually won me over despite my initial hatred of turn based combat. The world was just so cool and immersive that melted away. Diablo was fun and when really polished like that I didn't mind the hack n slash.

I never really got into Baldur's Gate or Planescape, I love the look and idea of that style of game so POE and Tyranny etc look really appealing then I watch videos of excruciating combat and spell management and out it goes form the cart.

I suppose I like RPG elements without ridiculous depth. Love The Witcher series, love fallouts series, loved KOTOR series (I could handle the semi freeze turn based nature much like modern fallout). Mass Effect were good but I have a hankering for some point and click lovingly rendered landscapes from up in the sky.

Any gems I should try?

2. power

power Member

Skyrim

Dragon Age games (original and Inquisition I would favour).

Outer Worlds.

Divinity Original Sin 2 belongs in your consideration too even though you specifically said no BG, etc.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    Deus_Ex_Machina likes this.
  3. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Underrail..

l_ QuadX_l likes this.
  4. power

power Member

also if you have a console or two lying around there are a few too.

PS4 has Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, FFVIIR and Nintendo consoles have ones like Zelda/Xenoblade, etc.

5. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

After all the hype at the time... I didn't find this appealing at all.

JSmith

6. power

power Member

I played it at launch, sunk a lot of hours into it and completed the main storyline plus faffng about. Had fun. Recently played it in VR - very cool, the combat transfers well.

7. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Have looked at Dragon Age before and never bitten the bullet, Bioware have a pretty good track record. Will add it to the wishlist and hopefully the whole pack comes on sale. I tried Skyrim, it never really grabbed me I don't know why, maybe I should try again.

Have a few on the Steam wishlist I'm keeping an eye on

Underrail (as suggested by demiurge3141)
    Atom RPG

Sussing out Tyranny mainly because of Obsidian. Hanging for Bloodlines 2. The original is a slightly unpolished gem of a game.

My son has a PS4 and has Horizon Zero Dawn power. I picked it for him and it looks nice. I'm a retard with a controller though lol, would be a learning curve. I'm 40 so been KB + Mouse since maybe Half Life?

8. power

power Member

All Dragon Age games are included in Origin Access basic if you want a cheap way to try them. If you think you can finish them in a month - $6.99.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  9. l_ QuadX_l

l_ QuadX_l Member

UFO: Enemy Unknown
    From the 90s (not the remake)

It's even got it's own official Wikipage :leet: I used to be obsessed with this game as a teenager. Base management and funding was a challenge at first, once you get the hang of it you'll love it. These days there are a million guides on YouTube anyway, although it was way more fun learning with 0 game manuals or any tutorials back in the day :D

10. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

I won;t finish them in a months but $40 p/a is VERY good value for the amount of stuff on there I haven't played. SOLD.

11. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Shit that's old skool I remember that game. Just been looking at random old shit now. Crusader: No Remorse, how good was that.

l_ QuadX_l likes this.
  12. rireland

rireland Member

rather enjoyed the modern ones and the just released chimera squad. gears tactics also seems good if you like the style.

13. havabeer

havabeer Member

i assume you don't mean iso hack and slash RPG's like diablo and path of exile?

14. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

I don't mind a bit of hack n slash, happy to give a go. I do like ones thought where there is a little story, breathers where you stop and chat to people, do side quests not just a dungeon crawl. Don't think I ever finished DIII actually.

15. gav1ski

gav1ski Member

I have a spare key for this if you want it. Just PM me.

16. havabeer

havabeer Member

Give path of exile ago. Pretty sure it's still free. Just get your mousing clicking finger ready for RSI

Deus_Ex_Machina likes this.
  17. simontifik

simontifik Member

Dragon’s Dogma is worth checking out. I’ve only just started playing, it’s made by Capcom so you could think of it as a Japanese take on Skyrim. Pretty combat focused, 3rd person a bit like Monster Hunter. It’s a few years old now so can be had pretty cheap on sale, think I paid $14.

The Divinty Original Sin games are definitely worth checking out if you want an isometric RPG. I found the character builds a bit complex but if you play on the easier difficulty it doesn’t really matter. Combat is real fun with loads of cool combos, drop an oil barrel on an enemies head then light it up with a fire arrow!

18. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

If you want old school Baldur's gate/ Dragon age 1 style crack.... Pathfinder kingmaker. It's literally crack in Baldurs gate format. Put 90 hours into the campaign.

19. Major Neb

Major Neb Member

The Ascent is looking pretty good for a Cyberpunk ISO RPG - bugger just noticed it is a coming soon.....

20. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, reckon I have bout a year of gameplay here at the rate I actually get to game nowadays lol.

Loving the seeming resurgence of cyberpunk games. Bring on the synthesizers and neons.

Also will someone please remake Quarantine for the modern age.