ISP has gone dark?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by ausghostdog, Jun 29, 2013.

1. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Why do people even go with minor ISPs in the first place? I see no advantage at all in doing so, and it leaves you open to this kind of thing happening. The smallest ISP we were with was "Froggy" which we were told was based in Ipswich (now learned this is incorrect), that was back in the dialup days, old Froggy went belly-up either soon after we switched to iPrimus or when they went belly-up, I don't remember. That was the first (and last) time we went with a small player. Even as a kid I red flagged this ISP simply because it had a stupid name, but it wasn't my decision to go with them.

If an ISP like Netspace (my old one that was bought by iiNet) went down, or was going down the plughole, they'd probably have provisions in place (receivership, a buyer, someone to assume control etc), they wouldn't just leave you without service with no explanation as to why and then not answer the phone when you simply want to know what's going on.

Not to criticize the decision for going with small ISPs, I just don't see the point. If you're running a business, signing up for a small player is effectively signing your own death warrant. I also don't sign domains up with resellers for the same reason, all of my domains go through NetRegistry, I'm pretty sure they'll still be around in 12 months' time...

P.S: Just reading up on Froggy out of interest... seems that the entire ISP was apparently just a Ponzi scheme or something. Maybe another reason not to go with the small guys? :Paranoid:

The CEO of Froggy also died a couple of weeks ago. lol.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  2. OP
    OP
    ausghostdog

ausghostdog Member

They have always had issues with their site, and I've never been concerned with it to be honest. I got my monthly bill and that was that.

Only time I was worried, is when I tried to get a mate to sign up and their phone number didn't work and their support email went down. Last night getting the email from Paypal saying the payments have been stopped was the last major red flag for me.

I was with TFG for well over two years, during that time I never once had an issue with it, one time I had a drop out at 3 am, I called the tech (direct mobile) and he answered. Was a little tired as I woke him up but he answered.

I will agree I was a little worried when I first signed up to them, but they were amazing, so much so that the guy who basically dealt with everyone called me on his personal phone to tell me he was laid off and the isp is dieing.

I would have to say it would be a very hit and miss with smaller ISP and I got lucky for the duration of the process.

3. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

That should have been red flag number 1. If I was about to sign up for an ISP and their website was down (ironic since they're supposed to provide an internet service :thumbup:), I'd never give that ISP another thought again unless the outage was very well documented, not just because the website was actually hosted on a PC at home in lieu of a real datacenter and his cat hung itself on the ethernet cable simply because it wanted a feed but the owner was too busy managing an entire ISP by himself.

Red flag number 2 should have came when it was a company that nobody else has ever heard of.

Sorry, but did you try to sign a mate up with them knowing that they were unreliable? And paying with PayPal? Did it not occur to you that paying a bill for a utility via PayPal smacks of being just a tad dodgy? Why not a real bank account or BPay, like, say everyone else?

Barely the length of a contract...

All good ISPs should be like this. iiNet is.

Ahh, the story is becoming a bit clearer. Admittedly while it is nice to be able to put a personality to support, that can be a red flag in and of itself. Another major problem is the fact that your only tech support for the entire company was in bed. If this was a different situation and I was, say, a sysadmin for that company (this case it's probably the same person again), and something went wrong on company hardware, I'd expect this to happen. But not if I was a paying end-user customer just trying to figure out why the light on my modem is blinking yellow.

Nice fuzzy feeling, yes. Who wouldn't like this kind of support? But again, another red flag. I do not expect tech support on someone's personal phone, nor do I want it. They have a job to do and a life to live, the least they can do is have a business phone. I wouldn't even expect to call the sysadmin on a personal phone if I was working for that ISP (or is that commonplace in the industry?).

You've been with more than one small player? Just sign up with iiNet and enjoy internet that's always going to be at least just as reliable, and be confident in that the company is probably going to exist in two years time.

Good luck with finding a new ISP. Lets all hope the same thing won't happen again...

4. OP
    OP
    ausghostdog

ausghostdog Member

I have tried some larger companies and they don't have the best track record as well. Tried dodo back in '08 nearly hung my self just trying to sign up with them.

Went with exetel for some time but changing the price of the service all the time was a pain in the arse.

That's when I found TFG.

The Paypal option was just one of many you could use. I choose Paypal as I use it for a lot of different things already it just made it easier.

The points you make are all very valid, The service was very laid back but the support provided was amazing. Sadly in the last 5-6 month it went to shit with the site going down and the rest following suit.

Well I signed up with clubtelco, $60 a month for unimited net no contract and all that good stuff. Now just to wait for the churn to happen.

5. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Well, yeah, don't do dodo, they're just rubbish. That should be common knowledge. :p

Different ISPs have different ways of doing things. Key here is shopping around and ask people for first-hand opinions, be it friends and family or forums. I'm going to be sacrilegious for a moment and say that Whirlpool should be one of the first ports of call. (Hey, they're a forum specifying in ISPs)

OK, fair enough, but BPay is easier, and so is direct debit. You don't have to shift funds around to pay a bill.

I'd feel pretty good with support like that, too. But the more logical, business-minded part of my mind is always going to be at least somewhat disquieted at the fact that tech support with my ISP is basically the same as asking the "tech guy" of the household. I wouldn't expect that from a company with many different customers spread out over a large geographical area.

ClubTelco is at least one that I've heard of, and there is a presence on Whirlpool.

In future, if you find yourself signing up for an ISP, ask, or at least just read Whirlpool. The amount of complains vs. compliments vs. general discussion in a given ISP's thread is actually a really good indicator of what you can expect.

6. power

power Member

I'd rather go with a small ISP than get bent over by some of the bigger players.

Whirlpool is a terrible gauge of what is and is not a good ISP, there is a reason it's called whingepool.

7. caspian

caspian Member

whirlpool contains a lot of good information. the problem is the poor signal to noise ratio.

price and sometimes non-mainstream features the larger players won't chase, because their core market is elsewhere. for instance, some of the smaller players were selling "top-up" data blocks years ago, and the mainstream providers still won't, because it doesn't suit them to do so.

8. kandrews

kandrews Member

So true, the greatest whinge fest ever created on an aussie server. Although it's funny as hell to read sometimes :lol:.

9. .Morphio

.Morphio Member

And generally half the people whinging have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. The other half are your normal "I want it done now and I want it done for free" type people.

Reading posts from either user base makes me sad.

10. OP
    OP
    ausghostdog

ausghostdog Member

Well I am connected now with my new telco.

11. OP
    OP
    ausghostdog

ausghostdog Member

Hey all,

quick update, I am with Clubtelco now, no issue. This morning checking my Email I had the monthly bill from TFG servers sitting there, always came in on the 8th saying they will charge my account of the 22nd of the month.

Now there is no way to contact them and they stopped all Paypal payments, should I be worried or do I need to contact the TIO at this point and say that I am no longer with them and there is no way of contacting them but I got a bill for the coming months access?

12. mwd

mwd Member

Why?

Just checking out their network. Looks like a dodo reseller, I would stay clear of them.

13. iSTELTHYi

iSTELTHYi Member

Could be worse, he could have chosen Telstra.

14. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

Nothing wrong with Telstra.. especially if you can claim it back on tax like I can. :thumbup: Never goes down, and speed is consistent always..

15. Grvm

Grvm (Banned or Deleted)

Only because your on a business plan.

16. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Telstra's fine. :confused:

17. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

From a residential address. I doubt I get plugged into different equipment all the way out here in suburbia.

18. iSTELTHYi

iSTELTHYi Member

Unfortunately, my experiences personally, and buisness(ly) are the opposite.

No, Telstra is a joke.

19. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Or if you have to work at any time remotely from home, as part of your job. That % is claimable. :thumbup:

20. OP
    OP
    ausghostdog

ausghostdog Member

As they were the cheapest for what I was after and one with a decent name in my area. I live in a rural area. It's hard enough getting net here for a decent price.