Issue since moving to 2080 RTX

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by illdrag0n, Sep 30, 2018.

1. illdrag0n

illdrag0n Member

Drivers were updated yesterday to 411.70, but have only had the card in for about 4 days.

Today i have had 4 instances where i hear the windows sound that normally plays when a device has been unplugged, and both of my screens go black. The machine is still running and i can still hear sounds in through my headset.

2 instances this has happened in game, and 2 instances have been on the desktop. GPU has not gone above 68C.

Had no issues with the previous 1070 installed. PSU is a corsair HX850.

Anyone else had these issues? I had the previous driver installed for a day or two and had no issues, i might try rolling back.

2. OP
    OP
    illdrag0n

illdrag0n Member

Checked event viewer. Been getting THOUSANDS of events this afternoon from nvlddmkm

The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video9
    Graphics Exception: ESR 0x417870=0xffffffff - (this part is different for every event)

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

3. OP
    OP
    illdrag0n

illdrag0n Member

and then before my forced shutdown, these 2 events;

Display driver failed to start; using Microsoft Basic Display Driver instead. Check Windows Update for a newer display driver.

The Desktop Window Manager process has exited. (Process exit code: 0x000000ff, Restart count: 8, Primary display device ID: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080)

4. havabeer

havabeer Member

Dud drivers or dud card. Take your pick

Roll back the drivers and see how you go

5. Sledge

Sledge Member

ouch..
    if everything goes black, you may try to get it back up by pressing 'Win+Ctrl+Shift+B' to restart video driver...

but that won't fix the underlying problem

6. asho444

asho444 Member

Was just having a wierd issue with my 1080 Nao playing games and crashing, ended up running ddu and rolling back to the previous driver and that fixed it

7. OP
    OP
    illdrag0n

illdrag0n Member

DDU + previous driver didn't fix it
    Reseating the card + pcie pins didnt fix it

Ended up reinstalling win10 today. Been playing a majority of the arvo with no issue's, so hopefully thats the end of it

8. OP
    OP
    illdrag0n

illdrag0n Member

got through most the day, then boom. Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered..

Thinking of putting my 1070 back in at this point

9. havabeer

havabeer Member

Time for a refund

10. OP
    OP
    illdrag0n

illdrag0n Member

Unfortunately i think its either the PSU or card.

considering the 1070 was working fine before the 2080, i think its the card. The Corsair HX850 should be enough to run this PC

11. OP
    OP
    illdrag0n

illdrag0n Member

Replaced the PSU with a thermaltake 850w 70a single rail model, and updated the bios from f3 to f8 (which included some gfx combatibility issues apparently). Just ran 3dmark and got 400 more points (9474 to 9895) so hopefully that fixed something.

12. radeon_freak

radeon_freak Member

As others mentioned it sounds like a dud card. A faulty PSU would most likely cause other problems and would show with the 1070. If a fresh install and different drivers after using DDU didn't resolve it I'd be getting a replacement 2080. For the time being you could try down clocking it to get some stability and see how it goes, would probably help confirm it's the GPU also.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  13. asho444

asho444 Member

Not always true, boss upgraded from dual 6950 to 390 and would always crash at one particular cut scene in Witcher 3, replacing PSU fixed it

14. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

For the love of Pete, please say it was a Toughpower model.

These cards are pretty thirsty, also remembering this upgrade was from a mid-tier GTX 10xx to a high end RTX 20xx card.

15. OP
    OP
    illdrag0n

illdrag0n Member

16. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

2080 rated at nominal 215W ( recommended PSU 650W) vs 1070 rated at nominal 150W (recommended PSU 500W). I think his Gold 850W PSU is probably good enough.

17. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Biggest concern was seeing Thermaltake in the sentence, not the wattage.

18. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

My point was that the 2080 is not so dramatically more 'thirsty' when compared to the 1070 as you make it sound... although I personally would have saved my money and kept the 1070 in the first place :lol:

19. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Tendency for hyperbole, maybe...

Can't argue there, although BFV with RT turned on looks phenomenal, it'd take more than 1 desirable game for me to fork out that much cash.

20. OP
    OP
    illdrag0n

illdrag0n Member

I hate the argument around money. I spent it, im not leaching money of centrelink and my family doesn't live paycheck to paycheck.

Anyway, after updating the bios from version to F3 to F8 on my motherboard (which includes GPU compatibility fix, which probably fixed it to be fair) and the new PSU i have had a crash free afternoon consisting of 3dmark, furmark and Deus Ex Mankind Divded (Ultra/very high 1440p).

Hopefully thats the end of my issues (knock on wood)

holdennutta likes this.