Issues with Canon Printer Drivers in Cluster Environment

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Sinical, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Sinical

Sinical Member

Hi All,

Since the new Cluster environment (4 x Terminal Servers) which is running in Hyper-V we have been having no problems with our big copiers.

But since the new Canon copiers have been installed.

We been have problems with the cluster failing on us and crashing. As in everything just freezes and I would have to turn off the VMs and turn them back on again.

Checking event logs it shows the following errors.

CanonPrinterDriver3 Event ID 1

Each entry below is always different each time sometimes they will be the same but most of the time it will be one of the following below.

Entry Function: DrvPrinterEvent, Base Address: 000000005DD80000, Exception Address: 000000005DEFE6C3, Exception Code: INT_DIVIDE_BY_ZERO
    Entry Function: DrvDocumentEvent, Base Address: 00000000678E0000, Exception Address: 0000000067B5315E, Exception Code: INT_DIVIDE_BY_ZERO
    Entry Function: DrvDocumentPropertySheets, Base Address: 000000005DD80000, Exception Address: 000000005DEFE6C3, Exception Code: INT_DIVIDE_BY_ZERO
    Entry Function: DrvDocumentPropertySheets, Base Address: 00000000678E0000, Exception Address: 0000000067B5315E, Exception Code: INT_DIVIDE_BY_ZERO

So it seems after some more testing that the print jobs are printed and some of them stay in the print queue and takes up a lot of memory instead of releasing the print job it stays in memory until a point where there is no resources left so it crashes the Terminal Servers (in the cluster).

It happens at random times too. No persistent pattern that I can see so far. I've had to create a script that allows the printer spooler to restart at certain times during after hours to clear any print jobs that haven't been released by the spooler.

Things I've tried so far.

Replaced printer drivers on DC which is used for the Printer Server.

Have tried PCL6, PCL5, PCL5e, UFR from Canon (printer model is Image Runner C5035)

Have just tried to install it locally on each Terminal Server just before and it just crashed straight away. So not sure what else to do here.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what it could be causing this or if there is a way to stop this from happening?

We just got them and its under a maintenance contract with CSG Print Services.

We had Xerox Copiers before and had no issues at all.

Anything else in that's in the Environment that is not in the Cluster e.g. DC, DC2 and another Terminal Server are fine.

2. b00n

b00n Member

just deployed 10 devices with uniflow and had to install UFR driver on print server and let it find the device then add PS drivers instead of manually creating ports and choosing my PS driver

3. therazza

therazza Member

Would be worth trialling this, though I haven't used in over a year..

http://www.thinprint.com/Products/Overview/RDPEngine.aspx

Your benefits

Install ThinPrint RDP Engine in a flash with just a few clicks
    Perfect the print management in your Microsoft Remote Desktop Services environment – also when accessing with Remote Web Workplace
    Users always access the right printer, even from their home workstation
    Extensive hardware support makes your staff even more flexible
    DRIVER FREE PRINTING avoids the administration of native printer drivers on the server

4. Herballizard

Herballizard Member

That looks interesting. ^^^^

We had something kind of similar with a recent deployment we we found the image runners to be really chatty on the network. Broadcast ahoy

Updated the firmware in the unit and it went away

5. OP
    OP
    Sinical

Sinical Member

Update the firmware hey? I'll get in touch with CSG and see if there is a firmware update.

Thanks again Herballizard! :thumbup:

6. Gunna

Gunna Member

Thin print is very expensive.

Possible to map the printer locally on the workstation and have it redirect to see if that resolves the issue.

Connect local office via VPN an install printer locally to server

Use older drivers

CSG said to user UFR drivers as the Pcl require a license file on the printer for PCL and PS for our client running a c5035. Try removing all evidence of the drivers and reinstall

Create a separate local print server for each site??

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  7. Gecko

Gecko Member

Definitely look at firmware updates - we had no end of problems with a couple of Canons we installed, invoked support, they had a guy come out and install new firmware (I suspect it was beta from the way the on-site tech was talking to me, I didn't care as long as it worked!) and everything was good.

8. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

9. OP
    OP
    Sinical

Sinical Member

Yeah updated firmware and still getting these errors.. :upset:

So far the cluster / Terminal Servers haven't crashed yet. But I will try and remove all drivers of all servers and start from scratch again.

Something is wrong here..

Using the latest drivers too Canon 20.70 x64bit

Already tried the generic ones too. But will try them again. At some point this will be resolved.

Looks like even the smaller Canon iR1024IF are giving these errors too. :mad:

10. chewbucca

chewbucca Member

Have you asked Canon?

11. OP
    OP
    Sinical

Sinical Member

Canon says to talk to CSG. Which I'm doing but wondering what else could be causing this.