Issues with DIGITAL Set top box - Cant get ALL channels.

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by li21, Jul 2, 2006.

1. li21

li21 Member

Hi all.

Im having trouble receiving all channels on by DSE Settop box 1568 mode i think its called. The latest offering from Dick Smith..

I usually use an antenna booster.. which is a little box that blugs into my antenna socket, powered by AC adaptor. I think plug the antenna cable into it. When I do this I receive all channels on analog.. Slight ghosting.

I find that when I have the booster UNplugged in I can only recieve 2,7,9,10 on Digital set top bo x
    No SBS or any other channels.

When I plug the booster back I get only ABC, SBS and the extra channels eg macq, rta, expo etc...

I just dont understand why I cant get ALL channels to work? They all work on analogue?

Any ideas? Could changing the STB to a different model make a difference?

thanks.

2. alistair_osborn

alistair_osborn Member

Remember that the digital signal does not have the same coverage as the analogue one. In general if you get a good analogue signal your digital coverage will be fine, but there are exceptions. I dont think that boosters help that much for the digital signal, and are not usually recommended. I would suggest that maybe tweaking of the direction of your aerial could help, or use better antenna cabling. Different STBs do utilise different tuner units, so a different unit may well have better luck picking up the channels, but that is not guaranteed. Have a read of the DBA FAQs and coverage maps for more info

http://www.dba.org.au/

Alistair

3. OP
    OP
    li21

li21 Member

Hmm thats really weird.. because I can get good reception when the booster is in on all channels on analogue.. I know nothing about how to tweak the antenna.. :(

I might try get a new box before foriking out more money on mr antenna :)

4. dantheman65

dantheman65 Member

It's very unlikely a new box will solve any problems.

The reason you're losing some channels when boosted and gaining others is because those amplifiers boost a certain frequency range. Turns out that the range they are boosting doesn't correspond to the channels that you lost.

5. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

I have the same problem here in Perth. For me it's antenna related: The commercial channels + ABC are on VHF, which I pick up fine (200-300 MHz), but SBS and the extra channels are UHF (500+ MHz).

So that means you have a UHF booster, where you need a VHF and UHF one.

6. OP
    OP
    li21

li21 Member

Hmm so you mean by boosting one band, you wont be able to pick up the other?

HOw much are UHF and VHF boosters?

7. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

No idea, I've never gotten off my arse to investigate.

edit: I finally got off my arse to investigate, and now I finally have SBS! My problem was my location was set to Europe, so it was scanning the wrong frequencies. Even a manual search wasn't working.

After reading the DBA forums, I found there was a hidden menu for my digicrystal PVR, so I set the country in there to AUS, did a search, and Bob is your mother's brother.

So it sounds like I was wrong about the whole UHF/VHF thing. Can you check your region settings? Maybe do a master reset and try again.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  8. OP
    OP
    li21

li21 Member

9. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

Looks like I've led you astray, see my post above for an update.

Sorry, but at least now I have SBS :D

10. OP
    OP
    li21

li21 Member

HAHAH bobs your mothers brother..

Wellwhat you said about only UHF being boosted sounds possible?
    Unfortuantely my box is already set to Australia with bandwith 7mhz.. so i guess theres nothing wrong there:(

DAMN!