1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

IT contracting

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by RaZ, Jul 1, 2015.

1. RaZ

RaZ Member

Hi All,

Having been in IT all my working life - I have signed many contracts.
    I am about to sign another one for 3 months - however it has no noticed period.

I have always had one - be it a week or more.

What the general thoughts on a contract having one or not?

Cheers

2. fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

Factor it into your rate and your approach to the job. For a 3 month contract, its almost irrelevant.

3. OP
    OP
    RaZ

RaZ Member

Seems its not nego.

BTW - for ANY contract - it matters - if I take one on and then miss an offer - there must be some kinda of cover if they decide to change something and no longer need the contractor.

Used to be a week min - now it seems its getting less to none - meaning business can hire a contractor and then piss them off when ever for any reason and the poor contractor ends up back in the dole queue

It seems IT has gotten so bad - no respect for those that actually know things and being honest seems to be bad - seems like your better off to lie through your teeth now in IT and back stab everyone.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  4. wraith666

wraith666 Member

Welcome to the IT industry. You don't get ahead by being nice 90% of the time it's about how much you can bs and have people convinced your telling the truth.

5. hosh0

hosh0 Member

I don't see the problem? You just factor that risk into your rate.

6. OP
    OP
    RaZ

RaZ Member

because the stupid head hunters are setting the rate and not moving on it claiming their end has dropped. Other wise I'd factor that in and make it 800 a day.

Guess senior Citrix and Vmware guys just are not worth what we were or is the the sniping from the head hunters causing it :mad: :confused:

7. OP
    OP
    RaZ

RaZ Member

Welcome?!
    I been working in IT since 96! NT-TSE with metaframe 1.8 and on to current.
    When I started in IT I was taught it be 100% honest and to always own up to anything you stuffed up.

Seems now its the other way around. Better to lie and cheat your way in and back stab others.

Seriously - when did this become a thing?

8. NSanity

NSanity Member

My entire professional career in Canberra/Melbourne.

9. wraith666

wraith666 Member

I haven't done IT nearly as long as you and maybe I am jaded but it's been my experience my whole career. The people who are honest and work hard get ignored while the ones that can baffle people with bs get all the good work and bring in the money.

10. NSanity

NSanity Member

Nah, I've never had a problem when it mattered (money, work, etc) - its just being around that toxic bullshit that erks me.

11. leck

leck Member

interesting point. Plenty of people I know who are great at what they do don't advertise it, hence don't get recognized for it. The reverse also applies unfortunately.

12. Skitza

Skitza Member

Nothing new. Useless noobs win, real people lose. If you can lie and bend words you can go far, especially in IT.

13. wraith666

wraith666 Member

It's why I am trying to distance my self from it. Lying to get ahead or make sales never sits well with me.

14. joe_sixpack

joe_sixpack Member

It takes brass balls to sell shit technology

[​IMG]

15. Iceman

Iceman Member

Surely this works in both directions? No notice period means they can get rid of you at any time

But you're free to leave for a better offer - at any time - with the job half done.

They're already taking the piss by refusing to guarantee you 3 months wages, that means they're also taking the risk that you'll walk if a better offer comes along.

16. millsy

millsy Member

I thought half the point of having way higher rates as a consultant was you took on risks like this :confused:

17. OP
    OP
    RaZ

RaZ Member

yeah but the rates are not covering the risks anymore.
    Always used to be 2 weeks min notice so the company would think twice before making the contract which also meant they were serious about the employment.

Thank you all for the replies and I am sorry as it was a rant \ vent.

:leet:

But yeah - still doesn't make it right and I feel like the head hunters have seriously messed up it for us, like they \ the industry needs to be investigated big time.

18. OP
    OP
    RaZ

RaZ Member

Canberra I can understand as to what else is housed there :)

But thats bad... guessing you work for a MSP?

19. wazza

wazza Member

They can only get away with it when there are people that will accept it. If you don't feel that the risk vs reward is there in this case then reject the contract, and tell them it's due to the lack of a notice period. Do so respectfully and the recruiter/employer shouldn't have any hard feelings over it, and hell if they specifically want you they may be prepared to negotiate it if they know you won't work without either a notice period or a higher rate of pay.

20. adgnetworks

adgnetworks Member

Ive been contracting the last 3 years and its great. I do have a fair amount of broad experience though.

Pay is good and work is interesting plus i dont have to deal with politics.

Getting paid weekly/fortnightly is cool too.