IT Tech toolkit

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by roger895, Sep 28, 2018.

1. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

what about scissors?
    you got scissors?

how about deodorant because you fucking stink sometimes?

headset so you can talk on jabber/skype/etc?

Asset labels.

2. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Consider:
    - modem,
    - router/switch,
    - PSU Tester,
    - magnifying headset,
    - needle nose and bent needle nose pliers (these are far more handy than just the long nose),
    - magnet on a stick,
    - white work surface (could be A4 pages 5-6),
    - spare cables (USB to USB, DVI, HDMI, VGA, DP, PSU, etc, etc.)

4. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

My tinsnips double as scissors, but if I needed actual paper cutting scissors to do something neatly there will be some in the office I'm at.
    We don't really do asset labels.
    Deodorant is in the glovebox of my car.
    And yes I do have a headset, logitech H800. Forgot that as well because it was on my head.. Also forgot to mention the magnet on a stick, but that's because I stuck to my shed wall the other day after fishing up a bolt I dropped into my quad.

5. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

console cable / rollover cable (various types - I remember reading something about how APC have specific ones and it made the ups go nuts or something)

USB-rs232
    USB-parallel
    usb-ethernet (or relevant vendor dongle) for the lightweight laptops without ethernet ports

6. ex4n

ex4n Member

one thing I didn't see mentioned, I have a Zalman 2.5" HDD enclosure (I put an SSD in it) which has the ability to mount any ISOs on the HDD like a virtual CD drive, I find this to be really quite handy if I ever need to boot anything

edit: link -> http://www.zalman.com/contents/products/view.html?no=20

7. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Yes, it is NOT a normal serial port and a "normal" pinout cable will cause it to power cycle. Fun times APC.

8. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

For some workstation set-ups this guy has a great set-up and the gear is linked below the video (some of it could be used for onsite work);

9. domsmith

domsmith Member

Flashlight or headband flashlight

10. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

cowboy boots with spurs

freaky_beeky and EvilGenius like this.
  11. koopz

koopz Member

dude..

every IT tech on my staff is an NBN Enabled qual'd IT tech.

I'm happy to send you to Mt Isa tomorrow ( btw - we need techs in this region ) though we can't risk our relationship with NBN if you are IT provider and encounter a situation where you need to fix a cabling problem on their network that you cannot correct.

( dear fucking god - why does this keep happening )

All IT peeps working in the field should be NBN Certed by now so that they *can* fix the problems they encounter... if at least keep the customer moving in a forward direction.

Telstra is dead/dying, and it's now just an NBN IT Comms issue if things aren't working. It's up to the customer to keep their network running.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  12. trevor68

trevor68 Member

Too true, this happens even when said "network" is telecom mdf, cabling and pits in my case.

More on topic since we no longer do anything network at work my toolkit has become a usb drive, and a phillips head screwdriver if I need to move a monitor.

13. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

I have a 128GB USB stick that does the same.

14. Pic0o

Pic0o Member

To go along with the USB drive suggestions, one or a few of them with a Linux Live image on them. Granted I'm more thinking if you need to recover some files or have an OS that will not boot properly.

15. person

person Member

As in a normal 128GB USB stick.... or one that has a Virtual ODD function built in?

16. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

17. olie

olie Member

I carry a whole bunch of stuff mentioned here plus:

5-6 of these in various flavours:
    https://www.fs.com/au/c/os2-9-125-single-mode-duplex-897

At $/Hr rate, its cheaper for me to just replace suspect fibres rather than cleaning.

A visual fibre tester for tracing unlabeled fibres.
    https://www.fs.com/au/products/35389.html
    Once again, its like $20, so I have a few.

Plus a range of one-click's in various flavours.

FWDM Filters for saving yo ass when you lose a link.

A hand full of various Optical attenuators for padding down 10Km and 40Km SFP's or just pissing people off.

18. koopz

koopz Member

I'm okay with teaching young IT enthusiasts how to pull apart the issues that come with UEFI PC customers, and correct it back so that we can help them better in the future for the likely data recovery

I'm okay with helping young IT enthusiasts diagnose NBN HFC faults for customers

I'm okay with helping young IT enthusiasts diagnose FTTN ( VDSL1 and 2 ) faults for customers

I'm okay with helping young IT enthusiasts diagnose FTTB faults for customers

I'm okay with helping young IT enthusiasts diagnose FTTP faults for customers

I'm okay with helping young IT enthusiasts diagnose ADSL1 and 2 faults for customers

I'll be okay with helping young IT enthusiasts to learn to learn to diagnose FTTC faults - I'm learning that tech as well atm myself.

What I am *not* okay with?

Being saddled with someone's kid by management, and losing good staff who I need to build the brand we're all working for as a result. This also includes having to stay quiet as bad hires occur during the hiring process.

I am tired of being asked to make rule exemptions for self-assured son/daughters/niece/nephew/friends that kill off an otherwise tranquil workplace environments be it there here in my state, others, or as a part of a national operation.

Some of us work tirelessly to provide a workplace for our good people - and this situation simply kills the brand and everything that we work for.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  19. zeeps

zeeps Member

How are you finding it now that you aren't doing the network side? What do you cover now trevor68?
    I'd like to carry less kit.

20. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member