Its 2007 - does a Ghetto Blaster solution exist?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Invader_Stu, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Invader_Stu

Invader_Stu Member

We've all been there. Summers around the corner and at the beach or the park you want some decent tunes, without bringing a backpack full of batteries.

Any portable stereo/sound solutions for this kind of thing? You'd want something like 3 hours playback I guess, with decent sound.

Can anyone help?

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Ipod with a ipod speaker pack?

3. _the_duke_

_the_duke_ (Taking a Break)

It's probably not loud enough, but my Logitech MM-50 has a built-in rechargeable battery:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. silenthunter

silenthunter Member

Don't think you'll be able to avoid the back pack of batteries. The Ipod Speaker thing from apple goes damn hard, also costs a damn lot and will chew through 8 D cell batteries.

Obviously this wouldn't work at the park with a bunch of people but I've got some Creative Popz speakers that i got from work for free, plug them into my Creative Zen and they go damn loud for what they are (unpowered speakers with drivers the size of a 50 cent piece) Good bass and clarity, if you are sitting around out the back having a few quiet beers with mates they are brilliant. I know they don't look like much but give them a go because they really surprised me.

5. MooGliSH

MooGliSH Member

Sonic Impact Class-T amp?
    I think it gets 2x8w off batteries.

6. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

This project pops into my head every summer... Team up a small chip amp with some effecient full range fostex drivers or something and i reckon could get a ghetto blaster solution that actually sounds pretty damn good.

I was thinking a sealed lead acid battery, but someone once mentioned on here they can be rather 'noisy'. Not sure how much of an issue it would be though in this situation. If you could base it on a 12V design too, it could be charged/run off the cigarette lighter too if the batteries are drained and the car is nearby.

When I was younger thought a car headunit teamed with a 12V battery could also do the job all-in-one too, now I'm not so sure. May not be terribly effecient.

7. mxxx

mxxx Member

check the PCDB for that insane ghetto blaster that an OCAUer made a couple of years back. put a touch-screen PDA in it with bluetooth and shit. seriously, seriously rad.

8. Arcadia

Arcadia Member

9. silenthunter

silenthunter Member

Got a link? I couldn't find it anywhere...

10. lewbar

lewbar Member

Yeh I've been thinking of going the t-amp route for a while now. Problem is I just can't find any cheap efficient speakers/drivers. Almost considering buying some car speakers just so I can get it built. Anyone know whether the t amp could power something like this? There are efficient enough, just have a feeling the little t amp might struggle a bit....

11. stevodude

stevodude Member

12. lewbar

lewbar Member

I know ;) , but I just wish we could get something similar to what is available on parts express. A $30-40 full range driver etc...options seem really limited here...

13. Arcadia

Arcadia Member

14. lewbar

lewbar Member

Been seriously contemplating the fosteks, but it has been said on diyaudio that they wouldn't be too durable in a portable speaker system. Would prefer to get something cheaper for my first system and perhaps upgrade to the nicer fosteks later.

What do people think of a jaycar woofer/pa tweeter combo? Or any recommended car speakers?

15. underskore

underskore Member

my old school grounds were just a big park, a few of us would bring our sets of battery powered pc speakers.
    it wasnt elegant but 3 or 4 sets of pc speakers would provide us with music while we played in the park.

16. cooks44

cooks44 Member

Heh! I remember years ago I made an LM380N amp and put it in a plastic take-away container. Ran off a 9V, ganged-pot for volume, sweet! Put that, some old Sanyo box car speakers I had and my CD walkman on my school bag...

It rocked! Battery would last about 4 hours, was plenty loud, and gave us something to do at those stupid school athletics carnivals...

17. stevodude

stevodude Member

yeah like this:

[​IMG]

hahaha

18. stevodude

stevodude Member

19. Oosh

Oosh Member

20. security

security Member

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007