1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

It's 2015 - Why so few decent mATX cases?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by the3coopers, Feb 24, 2015.

1. broccoli

broccoli Member

But, what you're saying is that every case should address everybody's wants, regardless of the fact that people have different opinions and needs and regardless of the purpose for which a case might have been designed.

The Lian Li cube is intended to be a good-looking-stick-it-in-your lounge case. Having bloody great thumbscrews sticking out the sides would not look nearly as nice as the flush, aluminium sides with the teeny-tiny little screws that you can't see...

The ports on the side are for the same reason - so that the front looks nice, and you don't see the ports. Yes, it might not suit where somebody wants to put it, but on a shelf next to a tv, it might be somebody's preference. Sometimes, they put a cover over the ports, sometimes they stick them on the side. It's not as if EVERY case has it the same way. That's the point, they are trying to make them varied because some people may want it this way, another some different way.

The "flimsy" cases are much lighter. You can get a steel tower, built like a brick shithouse and it weighs a ton. Some people would rather have something lighter for their purpose.

What's the point in trying to make out that matters of opinion (opinions which can change if you change the use - port on the side is fine on an open shelf, not fine if you want to move it to a desk cubby-hole) are the same thing as poor design? Just because everything you might want isn't there doesn't make things not "decent".

The suggestions just highlight that there are lots of options and lots of ways of dealing with "flaws". One man's "flaw" is another's "desirable feature".

tl:dr, I disagree that there are no decent cases, you just have to pick what features suit you best and deal with anything "missing" that you want. I also think (from the unwelcome suggestions) that there are cases for what you want. If you're not left completely "out in the cold" what does it matter that you don't have zillions to choose from?

2. Sebstar

Sebstar Member

You seriously need to work on your communication skills if by page 3, reasonably intelligent posters still don't understand what your rant is about and what you're trying to accomplish

On topic: Maybe provide a picture of a case you think looks modern/to your taste? I feel the TJ08E looks great. I don't want fins and chrome and shit like that. I want something that sits quietly on the floor and is well built.

As for why there are so few decent mATX cases? Because nobody wants them. It's an awkward size and there are only so many things you can do with it before you're hitting some kind of copyright infringement.

Honestly, the only case I can think of that completely changed the look of a traditional case is the Level10. Is it something like that you want???

3. shane41

shane41 Member

I hate all mAtx case :thumbup: that more the spirit Mr Coops :tongue:

But I like my Full Aluminum Silverstone SG03.
    Later these went cheap to compete with other brands,
    then steel frame inside was the replacement.
    Cramped hard to work on with the psu in the guts.

4. Turbine

Turbine Member

Love my Silverstone SG03, got the chassis powdercoated.
    Ticked every box in my requirements, I only wish the little hinges on the side had a stronger snap lock or something.

5. akromatic

akromatic Member

i love my SG03 too but i dont like the PSU position and it does struggle with a 130w CPU

6. Turbine

Turbine Member

Watercooled?
    I've got mine setup with an old Corsair H50. It squeezed in but seems happy with the 12cm and 8cm fan combo.

7. OP
    OP
    the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Wot? I am saying nothing of the sort.

I'd like to learn what pissed YOU off about the cases that YOU have owned or considered. Or are they all perfect, are they?

Not really, it's not marketed as a HTPC case. But anyway, what has that got to do with anything? It has atrocious internal design, I am very qualified to comment about it because I own one... do you?

So, you haven't owned a Lian Li case before, huh? If you had, then you would know that they NEVER use screws on the sides of the ATX and the Towers to hold the panels on. In fact, I can't think of another brand of case that uses a series of small screws to hold the side panels on :rolleyes: Gawd

Because poor design is poor design. Clever design means the product is able to suit a wider application and client base.

For example, a tailgate on a hatchback car that doesn't open high enough... if it bonks average height people on the head, then that is poor design. The fact that their children can walk underneath it doesn't suddenly transform it into a good design.

Precisely - so what peeves YOU?

Well, duh. :lol:

8. IKT

IKT Member

lack of money, I don't believe the HTPC market is as big as it once was.

9. broccoli

broccoli Member

Yes, I do.

Good luck with your search.

10. akromatic

akromatic Member

apparently its not good enough, struggles with i7 920

11. miicah

miicah Member

You will never find the perfect case, it doesn't exist. Companies can't afford to make 500 variations of a mATX case because Joe doesn't like DVD drives but Jill does.

You find the case that ticks the most boxes for you and buy it. My current case is a Thermaltake ITX and I already know how it could be improved. But Tt won't do it unless enough people find it an issue.

So you rant is really like asking why Ford never produced a turbo charged Ka.

12. OP
    OP
    the3coopers

the3coopers Member

There we go - there's THREE replies in a row that are what I wanted to discuss.

The fails, compromises and limitations when choosing a small form factor case! And the engineering mistakes that those cases might contain.

Many of these things are not inherent limitations (due to size), but poor decisions that were made during the design phase.

Like the 3.5" bay on the bottom right of the TJ08e. Designed in 2011, that bay must have been put there for some reason?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  13. Turbine

Turbine Member

As far as small no compromise cases go I think ultimately the crowdsourced community built NCASE M1 is amazing.

https://www.ncases.com/

Pretty much is the result of a similar rant to yours on another forum.

*edit: haven't recommended a case. Giving an example of enthusiasts getting together to build something better. ;D

14. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

The cheap little coolermaster N200 nearly does absolutely everything right but from the sales stuff seems to be lacking in the dust filter area.

Actually seems the cheaper you go almost the better. The silverstone PS09 claims removable dust filter in the front, but has the power switch on the side but the USB and MIC etc are on the front. I would say it is possibly under fanned but that said my nephew runs a case with only a 120mm intake on the front with a 3770K and a GTX 670 and it seems to run fine (has for almost 2 years now and I doubt it has been opened in that time).

15. OP
    OP
    the3coopers

the3coopers Member

AH HAAAAAaaaa!

So if they could design a case that can accommodate a DVD drive, AND ALSO will look good without one being installed, then they satisfy BOTH Joe and Jill and therefore they don't HAVE to make 2 different variations. This allows them to double their market of the product yet not add production cost (since it is a design and engineering decision made long beforehand).
    - That is PRECISELY what good engineering and design is all about.

Well if nobody talks about it, and nobody tells them, how will they know it's any issue? How will they know what clients want for the next design? How will they know what to improve?

Thanks - I completely forgot about the Ncase. And that's a perfect example of what talking about problems, challenges and requirements can do. Of course, on some forums they don't like to talk about bad designs and engineering in computer cases, let alone what improvements could be made.

I have an industrial design and engineering background (not in computers), and these kinds of things are important to me. I like well engineered stuff, where you can just tell that the person who designed it actually sat down and thought long and hard about what they were doing.

16. 5tumpy

5tumpy Member

Why doesn't this magical case exist?

[​IMG]

Ta-da:

Click to view full size!

CBF going through the rest of that list, but the case does tick all those boxes... Kinda rendudant making a rant thread saying the perfect case for you doesn't exist when it actually does...

17. BigDave

BigDave Member

Hey the3coopers do you need a hug? :lol:

TJO8-E fan boi here, My server below :thumbup:

You forgot the need to be Full Custom water cool able as well :D

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size!

18. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

There is something trying to procreate with your cases anus!

19. OP
    OP
    the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Thanks so much for your help, but there really wasn't any need for you to go to all that trouble. We've already discussed the TJ08e plenty of times already, so you're coming in a bit late.

In fact, I mentioned that EXACT model right back in the original THE OP, as being pretty much the only case I found that "ticked the boxes" for my build. It was immediately below where you copy/pasted from, actually ;)

However this thread's not about that, you know? It's about the various aspects of poor engineering, design and compromise that are present in most mATX cases, and how those could be improved. So let's not get distracted worrying about what case I might need, eh. ;)

Yeah, hugs all round in this thread. Certainly need plenty of patience to post here on OCAU, I tell ya :lol:

You TJ07e fanbois should look at the PS07, as it's got the exact same chassis but a slightly updated front panel and a bit more strength in the steel. And it's $30 cheaper.

All the real action happened some time ago, but they must be still locked together.

20. 5tumpy

5tumpy Member

Except that you didn't... You mentioned a different case the Silverstone PS07, which isn't actually an updated version, it's a dumbed-down, cheaper version with less features for a cheaper price...

The TJ-08E is the updated version of the TJ-08... There are several differences between the TJ08 and the PS07, not the least of which being the fact that the PS07 is made from cheaper materials and a different cooling layout on the front of the case... The TJ08 comes with 1x180mm fan that has a removable, high quality dust filter that slides inside the case... As I've illustrated, it also has a 3.5" bay for your memory card slots, the cheaper PS07 doesn't...