It's a Beefy Miracle! (Fedora 17 Released...)

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by cleary, May 30, 2012.

1. cleary

cleary Mental in the Face

-- The Book of Sauerkraut, Chapter 12, Verse 529

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F17_release_announcement

ISOs:
    http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora
    Local mirror: http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/fedora/linux/releases/17/

Personal note: I don't mind the fact that this whole thing is pretty tongue in cheek. It stands out, and has already generated a bit of publicity and discussion, plus it's quite funny. Other people really don't like it though... - I have to appreciate the issue with resources being spent on IP/TM investigations into the names, but redhat have a team dedicated to doing that, so I can't imagine it's any sort of a drain on said resources

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  2. Swathe

Swathe (Banned or Deleted)

It's still better than any of the ubuntu names.

3. OP
    OP
    cleary

Them's fightin' words :D

4. houseofzeus

houseofzeus Member

The vote they referred to closed a while back and the consensus was to keep having release names. In an additional vote the release name chosen for F18 was Spherical Cow which I am sure the author of that post is equally enamored with.

Personally I don't see the fuss, the community obviously like having a bit of fun with the code names and then about a week after the release nobody refers to it using the release name anyway. No harm no foul.

Also I think the argument that it's wasting all this precious time is a bit of a furphy, people pushing this seriously over-estimate how much goes into it in my opinion.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  5. papelboyl1

papelboyl1 (Banned or Deleted)

almost anything is better than how ubuntu name their releases :D:p

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Any oVirt users playing with this?

7. houseofzeus

houseofzeus Member

I haven't really bothered, the bits that did make it are those which most people have already tried out on Fedora 16. There is a lot of change in Fedora 17, in particular with the switch to Java 7 and the inclusion of jbossas7, that will be better catered for in the second oVirt release coming up soon.

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Ah, that's good to know.

I had all sorts of problems with the first release. Hopefully the next one will be a bit more stable.

9. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

I just grabbed the default live iso and booted it on the netbook. This isn't half bad. It picked up all the hardware first go and it quite snappy, even running from an external dvd drive.

I am impressed, aside from the lack of configuration file editing. :lol:

10. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

So I've got this properly installed on the netbook now. Here's how it went down:

The good:
    Installed from full DVD, took ages but was easy enough It booted up and detected all the hardware straight away. Connecting to my hidden ssid wlan was a piece of cake. Even the Fn key shortcuts work. Gnome shell looks pretty and is intuitive, even for a hardened Win/ KDE user like myself. Synaptics touchpad works well and is easily configured, though some sort of palm-check would be nice. Suspend and hibernate seem ok.

The ordinary:
    Gnome makes very poor use of screen real estate. Everything is bigger and bulkier than in Win7 or KDE4, very annoying on a 1024x600 screen. Partially solved by installing gnome-tweak and fiddling with themes. However the lack of configurability out of the box is lame, not only that I had to search google to figure out what package to install to do it.

The bad:
    Battery life is shithouse. It's probably 1/3 of what it gets in 7 starter. This can be partially explained by the heavy OpenGL use by Gnome, but I suspect the cpu isn't throttling. Need to solve this.

11. OP
    OP
    cleary

I found this - you can rejig your font dpi using the dconf-editor (try setting it to 0.8 to shrink it)
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=260123

12. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

I tried that. The problem isn't so much the size of the fonts, it's the size of the title and menu bars. Lots of wasted space that isn't normally there.