Its time for Linux, yes its time

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Moarphine, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Moarphine

Moarphine Member

First off, I have read most of the Linux sticky (stopped reading after the program list).

What OS am I currently using, and what for

Windows XP SP3, reformatted Last Week. I use it for Microsoft Office (for uni), hotmail, windows live and general email, watching anime, browsing the net, updating ipod. I do not play many games anymore.

What do I already know about Linux?

Its a Windows alternative. It can't play games. It does not get many viruses. Chinese government uses it. Computer savvy people use it.

Why do I want to install Linux?

Today I discovered "DD1.exe" a trojan on my portable HDD's recycle bin, whilst I was using eraser to delete something from my main HDD. Since AVG Free has never found this I installed Malwarebytes and it discovered a Trojan in my system. I then proceeded to get the Windows update virus removal tool. This program discovered a Worm 'w32/rimecud' and removed it. I then installed Spybot Search and destroy, which found nothing, and immunized me. I am now installing ad-aware. They appear to be aided by my portable HDD and other internal HDD, infecting these, then hitting my PC again after reformat.

tl;dr

In the space of a week Ive been hit with trojans and worms, anti-virus software is not finding them definitively.

What I plan to do

I plan to reformat my main HDD, my secondary HDD, and my storage drive.
    To avoid them re-spreading any virus I plan to install Linux, giving me the opportunity to Reformat the other drives, without losing infomation and without the virus spreading.

What I would immensely appreciate

1. A link to any stickies I should read before doing this or asking questions.

2. Will my basic PC use be met without frustration?

3. Do I need to find special Linux related drivers for my GFX card, CPU, MOBO ect?

4. Should I be aware of anything else / flaws in my plan before setting out to replace XP with Linux?

I am super greatful for having the ocau community to help me in any way possible. :Pirate:

2. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Keep an open mind and remember that the software is free and has been developed by people like yourself (and software geniuses :lol:)... Items in bold are my suggestions for your apps...

I personally recommend Ubuntu 10.04 (64-bit) for someone like yourself starting out...

You were wrong with what you said before "Linux can't play games", you can play plenty of decent games in Linux. Warsow, OpenArena, Nexuiz, AlienArena, Wormux, etc

GFX - If you want to, ATI Catalyst 10.6 or nVidia 256.xx.
    CPU/Mobo - No, all should be part of the kernel.

It will be a steep learning curve for anything non-web or media based. Don't just follow random threads on forums - try to stick to programs and commands that you understand or try to understand what a command does before running it.

No worries. :thumbup:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  3. OP
    OP
    Moarphine

Moarphine Member

Awesome thankyou.

Is Ubunto (64bit) ok to run on my e8400? since windows is 32bit at the moment, thanks.

Do I need an anti virus?

4. IKT

IKT Member

use ubuntu, it's realllly easy.
    Depends what you're trying to do, there will probably be an initial period of frustration as you get to know linux but depending on how savy you are and how good your google-fu is this may be over quickly.

I would dual boot just in case, this is easy with ubuntu as it's an option in the installer.

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop
    +
    http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326
    = win
    :D

If your e8400 can run 64 bit software yes.

No, as there is no major malware active, however running clamav might be useful if you decide to dual boot.

5. rm -rp ./Matt*

rm -rp ./Matt* Member

People seem to love Linux Mint too; if you have any issues installing Ubuntu try that out, it's based on Ubuntu but seems to have more out of the box hardware work with it, plus I think the restrictive codecs (mp3 etc) are installed by default.

6. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

The previous posts have covered it pretty well.

One important note - Don't run as the root user or via sudo unless you REALLY need to and know what you are going to do.

I've been running Linux (CentOS) only at home for the last 12 years and the only thing that I've needed Windows for has been CAD. The latest version of VMware that I'm running wll now allow me to run the CAD package in XP at more than exceptable speeds.

7. OP
    OP
    Moarphine

Moarphine Member

I have no idea what you mean, but alrite.

8. Grant

Grant Member

Normally you run as a relatively unprivileged user (good for security), but when you need to do something that affects the system (download updates/install software etc), Ubuntu and most other Linux OSes will ask you to type in your password. In the background this uses "sudo" to make a command run as the "root" user (administrator account) - when people post guides on the net about how to quickly get stuff done with command-line commands, you'll often see "sudo <command>", which basically does the same thing.

9. Roj X Mugwump

Roj X Mugwump Member

Surely its far more intuitive as a learning process to do everything as root since if you fuck up bad and have to start over as punishment you'll think harder before you type...

10. OP
    OP
    Moarphine

Moarphine Member

Oh I see. So setting up password and making sure your an unprivileged user is covered during the install?

Just making sure this is the link here
    http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
    Should I get the 64bit version as recommended here or the 32bit as they recommend?

Im going to burn my mobo/cpu/gfx drivers for once I install ubuntu. Anything else I should grab? My thinking is that, as long as I can access the internet (with the right drivers) I should be able to read up on how to do other things.

Also if Im clean wiping xp off, and not sharing the hdd with anything other than ubuntu should I bother defragmentating?

11. cs-cam

cs-cam Member

One thing people never mention that is a really different mentality is how software is managed. If you want to install OpenOffice in Windows you'd go download it right? Of course. Don't do that in linux.

Your distribution will come with a package manager that should have pretty much every major piece of software listed, install from that instead. Unless you know what you're doing, installing from third parties can introduce problems whereas installing it from the package manager means its been built specifically for your distribution and should work 100% first time.

12. Swathe

Swathe (Banned or Deleted)

Give a list of your hardware and we can probably tell if anything rings alarms bells. I just upgraded from an e8400 and can assure you it loves 64 bit linux :D

13. OP
    OP
    Moarphine

Moarphine Member

Interl(R) Core(TM)2 CPU
    E8400 @ 3.00Ghz
    3.00gb (Really 4gb but xp ect)
    GTX260 Nvidia GFX Card
    MSI p45 platinum mobo

Also, does the internal Unbuntu update program manager thing have most of the essential programs in it? Does it have a decent torrent program?

14. IKT

IKT Member

Yep, has everything you need 99.9% of the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Screenshot-Ubuntu-Software-Centre.png

Transmission is already installed by default.

If you're with internode or an isp with a mirror you can set it so that the ubuntu software centre downloads from them so you don't get charged usage.

There don't appear to be any issues with that hardware, so you shouldn't have to install any drivers beyond that which appears in the driver installer.

A quick guide to the driver installer:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/nvidia

Also of note is that once you boot up off the ubuntu cd/usb you are given the option to install or try ubuntu out in live cd mode, if you're interested select live cd mode and mess around a bit in it, it's basically ubuntu running off the cd :D

15. OP
    OP
    Moarphine

Moarphine Member

Ok thanks, just with the Firewall, how does it work, I was reading some stuff about iptables and it looks like you make the firewall yourself? Im a bit confused.

Also assuming I have 3 HDD (The names are an evangelion joke)

HDD 1 (Internal - codename Caspar) Wiping XP, INstalling Ubuntu

HDD 2 (Internal - codename Balthazer)

HDD 3 (External - codename Melchior)

The other HDD are safe to keep their content on. In case there might be virus on them still I am safe to move say Anime, music, pictures, lecture notes, word files ect to the Ubuntu HDD and then move them back over once I reformat the other HDD?

Also, will Ubuntu be able to read the HDD since the folders ect were named using XP, and HDD2 was formatted or w/e under xp

16. hdkhang

hdkhang Member

OT but... I also considered naming stuff at home after the three wise men but never got around to it since I couldn't pick three computers that had important enough jobs to do around the home. Now that I do have three central machines (media server, db server, general file server and download box) I can't be bothered changing since I got so used to my current naming scheme :) That, and I can't really decide on which of the names would go with which of the boxen.

17. OP
    OP
    Moarphine

Moarphine Member

haha :thumbup:

18. darknebula

darknebula Member

Slightly off-topic but why not just stick with what you know + a decent anti-virus instead of the trash that is AVG.

ps currently (slowly) teaching myself linux at the moment

19. infirmus

infirmus Member

sssh you we're converting someone to linux

Make the firewall? No. You have to tell it some rules though. Its not hard. Do you actually need a firewall though? Do you have a modem/router with an inbuilt firewall?

Ubuntu can read NTFS and FAT32 formatted partitions just fine. There is not really any risk copying stuff of the drives except if you are going to be opening executable files from there on another Windows machine in the future.

20. OP
    OP
    Moarphine

Moarphine Member

Fair Question. I'm not sure really. Ubuntu appears like a fresh change. Something entirely different. Instead of running I want to try swimming, and if it will do the same tasks I want it to without the stress of constantly finding viruses (wolves) then I am happy (wolves cant swim).

So I just burn ubuntu iso onto a cd under cd-data with Nero Express right?