ITSM in 2013

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by styluspilot, May 27, 2013.

1. ewok85

ewok85 Member

I use RT - easy to setup and does the job. It required no training or extra work for end-users, they simply email in requests and problems to the appropriate mail queue, and all the heavy lifting is done by the IT staff.

2. GreenBeret

GreenBeret Member

Yep, exactly why in the good old days we used RT. Zero fuss for the end users, no swearing at complicated forms and processes for IT staff.

3. OP
    OP
    styluspilot

styluspilot Member

Added to First post

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  4. chip

chip Member

Have you had a look at OTRS? You should be able to use it handle incidents and requests without too much work.

5. thetron

thetron Member

I've used all them

BMC Remedy was used by public transport company. It was originally had been using ITSM 5/6 previously before

BMC has features where you can customer change the interface but that needs to be done before the system is setup. However the server are remotely hosted with another provider in the cloud much like servicenow

Service now was similar to BMC. I found Service now bonus feature was being able to use a mobile interface to be advantage from working field, Remedy had has that feature too. When I using it was turned off or add-on wasnt added

However BMC was just as good with a laptop or tablet with 8hr battery life (Full day charge). It was disappointing non of my colleagues did the same thing and forcing themselves to go back on a desk

Even of the day. I was able to really enjoy using RT because easy to be customize and did the job to my standard. Also for Internode uses it

At the end of the day. I would choose RT
    However if you customise remedy well then it be good

6. jcorney

jcorney Member

yep, truly rubbish, was crap when it was marketed by peregrine, still crap when marketed by HP

it made me long for the CA product

7. OP
    OP
    styluspilot

styluspilot Member

Also just found "Marval" ITSM product

can anyone share any thoughts on the product who has used it?

8. thetron

thetron Member

To be honest the only way your gonna find out. Get a sample/evaulation copy

Have 2 people test it. Someone logs a job > Takes the job until resolved

Find bugs or annoyances like would be a test drive

9. Diode

Diode Member

We use FrontRange ITSM and it runs like a dog! The console where you manage tickets is so slow and it doesn't seem to matter how much server resource you give it or how fast your desktop is. The business put it in about 2 years ago and it can't wait to replace it.

Though I've never used a ITSM system I actually liked. :lol:

10. OP
    OP
    styluspilot

styluspilot Member

getting a demo of SysAid sometime this week, the new interface looks a little easier to use than prior versions

Has anyone here used SysAid in production?

11. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I've used Sysaid before, we didn't really use it for anything other than a ticketing system though (which it was adequate for). The Project management and inventory side of it were a bit of a let down.

12. Oblique

Oblique Member

+1 for ServiceNow.

13. memnoch

memnoch Member

I use JIRA.

Jira, works reasonably well. The custom workflows mean it is pretty damn customizable (that can also be a pain if you want it up and running quickly).
    Our internal IT and service desk teams all use it for internal requests as well as our support team for customer support.

We don't follow ITIL workflows exactly to the letter, but we're reasonably close while not making the process a burden for ourselves.

The biggest downside I see right now with it is having to manually rase a change ticket & then manually linking it to a fault ticket. We're working on making this easier with custom plugins that I expect will be released at some point.

Previously I had used RT. Coming from RT I miss the email integration of RT and the ability to have multiple levels of nested tickets for mapping out tasks on projects.

There are 3rd party plugins that do make Jira a more compelling option than just plain Jira. http://blogs.atlassian.com/2012/05/jira-as-a-service-desk-application/

If your primary means of raising a ticket is via email, skip Jira. The email handling still doesn't compare to what RT can do for you.
    If you want to submit tickets via website or API, Jira can work well for you.

I work for Atlassian

14. MrvNDMrtN

MrvNDMrtN Member

15. OP
    OP
    styluspilot

styluspilot Member

Well, after looking at a ridiculous amount of products, it looks like the best fit for our environment is:

iSupport (http://www.isupport.com/)

Not the most full featured, and has some quirks (what ITSM tool doesn't) but simple and intuitive, and meets budgetary requirements.

If anyone has used iSupport before or feels they should warn me of it, please do so soon, or forever hold your peace ;)

16. The Watcher

The Watcher Member

for the size of team you have I'd got with Manage Engine Service Desk Plus, just cost wise some of the others are meant for much larger fully ITIL based environments, some of the others really really need skilled people to implement and tweak, upgrades can also be an issue if you customize

I ran Manage Engine Service Desk Plus for 7 Helpdesks with between 3 and 10 people and it was awesome.
    Started with just incident tracking, then introduced change, problem, self service, assets, etc, stage by stage not to frighten off some of the staff.

Almost went to the MSP version to consolidate them all, but the cost model just didn't work :(

good luck

17. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Member

I've administered and extensively customized it in the past (though I came in after the tool had been purchased).

Advantage is that you can modify most of it - substitute terms via a "translation dictionary", modify the templates, change the workflows etc. It's also reasonably cheap compared to some other options.

A few of the disadvantages that spring to mind:
    - Out of the box it is very poorly thought out.
    - Lots of terms are terrible (egall resolver/support staff are "admins", all tickets are "service records" or "SRs" which people confuse with service requests)
    - Lots of components appear to be hasty bolt-ons - eg incident is a modified service request form, problem is a modified change form.
    - They keep adding new half-created features instead of going back and properly polishing existing functions.
    - There is a large backlog of features requested on their forums which are not addressed

I've also used BMC Remedy, CA Unicentre, HP Service Manager and a few other lesser known ones. My favorite to use has been Unicentre as it seems to integrate all of the functions well with a nice logical interface. Some of the reporting tools had to be bolted on though and the email notifications were not correctly configured (not sure if this is a fault with the application or the administrator).

My recommendation is don't just buy a fancy tool and hope it will solve everything. Understand the business needs and the way processes work now; design processes that will work better with the business in the future and test as many scenarios as you can think against those processes; get buy-in from the business and the support staff on the new processes then find a tool that can support them.

A tool will support your processes rather than define them for you, and without good processes you will end up with staff working with or around the tool to maintain their bad habits.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  18. memnoch

memnoch Member

So we officially announced JIRA service desk today, so I can talk about it now.

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/service-desk

I've been using this internally for a while now for our ITSM. It is a big improvement over plain Jira for this use case.

Disclaimer: I work for Atlassian

19. scrantic

scrantic Member

Installed will have a play.

Note I did have an email advising just hadn't read it :)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  20. scrantic

scrantic Member

Ahhh got excited to find that no email creation :). Could still be useful but not a replacement. I will give it time.