itsmydamnations CCIE study journal

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by itsmydamnation, Sep 1, 2008.

1. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

I figured this would be the best forum to place this in ( yes even over the Career, Education and Finance forum)

the goal of this thread is for me publish my CCIE study notes as well as labs and config journals so maybe someone else can get some benifit other then myself.

I am planning to devide my journals into 4 sections,
    1. theory
    2. configurations
    3. technology practise labs
    4. CCIE lab practice exams

because you have to pass the written exam first i will be focusing on section 1 for the first few months.

I am basing my study off CCIE Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide 3rd Edition in terms of what order i will be reading topics. at the start of each set of notes i list the study meterals that i have used during that topic.

my current list of material used:
    books:
    CCIE Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide 3rd Edition
    CCIE Professional Development Routing TCP-IP Volume I
    CCIE Professional Development Routing TCP-IP Volume II
    Cisco Press CCNP Self Study BCMSN Official Exam Certification Guide 4th Edition
    Cisco Press CCNP Self Study BSCI Official Exam Certification Guide 4th Edition
    Cisco Press CCNP Self Study BSCI Official Exam Certification Guide 3th Edition
    IP Telephony Self-Study - Cisco QoS Exam Certification Guide, Second Edition
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t13/feature/guide/frqosmqc.html
    Cisco press, CCIE Practical Studies, Volume I
    Cisco press, BCRAN Exam certification guide, Second edition
    Cisco press Deploying Multicast IP networks
    sybex - cisco ccip mpls study guide
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/11_1/feature/guide/CAR.html

Audio:
    IPExpert CCIE Routing & Switching Audio Bootcamp V3

Video:

this material is written for my own use so spelling will be shit, gammer non exsistant and it could jump around abit, so enjoy :D

Section 1 Theory
    CCIE chapter 1 -- Lan switching
    CCIE chapter 2 -- VLANS, VTP and trunking
    CCIE chapter 3 -- STP, RSTP, RPVST, MST, spanning tree protection and more spanning tree stuff
    CCIE chapter 4 -- IP addressing
    CCIE chapter 5 -- ip services , arp , proxy arp , DHCP , HSRP , GLBP
    CCIE chapter 6 -- ip routing , CEF , route maps
    CCIE chapter 7 -- RIP V2
    CCIE chapter 8 -- EIGRP
    CCIE chapter 9 -- OSPF
    CCIE chapter 10 -- PBR and other related stuff
    CCIE chapter 11 -- BGP
    CCIE chapter 12 -- QOS Classification and Marking
    CCIE chapter 13 -- QOS Congestion Management
    CCIE chapter 14 -- QOS policing and shaping
    CCIE chapter 15 -- Frame Relay
    CCIE chapter 16 -- Multicast, IGMP, CGMP, IGMP snooping, Multicast addressing
    CCIE chapter 17 -- Mutlicast, PIM-DM, PIM-SM, PIM-Bi
    CCIE chapter 18 -- secuirty, layer2 , layer 3
    CCIE chapter 19 -- MPLS, unicast, VPN
    CCIE chapter 20 -- IPv6, OSPFv3, EIGRPv6

Section 2 Configuration Guides
    Switching configurations
    Ip addressing configurations
    ip services configurations
    ip routing configurations
    BGP configurations
    PBR

Section 3 technology practise labs

RIP V2 base
    RIP V2 completed
    EIGRP base
    EIGRP completed

Section 4 technology labs
    technology labs - switching

usefull stuff for the LAB exam
    using scripting to ping all hosts

any comments or anything that people want to add ( if i think its worthy i will update me notes) then please contribute.

cheers

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  2. TrennaHowar

TrennaHowar Member

Awesome good job itsmydamnations!! I will be watching closely as i like you hope to achieve my CCIE someday! (just need to get into networking lol).

GL for your future studies!

How long (if everything goes to plan) are you expecting it should take you to finish off the final part of the CCIE and have your cert ?

3. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

im quite ambisious and have access to a lot of equipment plus i have 6 weeks of leave i need to take so im hoping for 6 months :wired:

4. Whisper

Whisper Member

Good Luck!

5. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

updated

chapter 2,

so far the CCIE S&R exam guide has been really really light on, so much so i got the BCMSN book for switching stuff.

6. stalin

stalin (Taking a Break)

good luck :)

Why not try and get another couple of ACT people at a similar level and make a study group. Its excellent for motivation, idea bouncing etc.

7. Assasinator_2

Assasinator_2 (Banned or Deleted)

Just a note - the wiki would be perfect for this, I'd imagine. Have a think about porting it over to that either as you go, or once you finish.

Either way, awesome for doing this. I'll keep an eye on it!

8. Pugs

Pugs Member

while you are doing some training , doing a Cert 2 in Data comms would help you aswell.... if even just getting the rescricted part done for now and then doig pen later on. wold help you in furture work places...

9. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

well chapter 3 in the R&S CCEI study guide is all STP, which in the BCMSN book is about a third of the book. So i did nothing else today other then chapter 3....... and some clothes washing :lol:

To Pugs: current CCIE's in australia: 522

my currently held certs,

Diploma in netwoek engineering
    CCNA
    CCDA
    CCNP
    CCSP
    CCDP

thax for the idea but im kind of ok on the cert font :p i dont know any CCIE who would do there own cabling unless a gun was held to there head :D

10. FiShy

FiShy Member

haha, his post made me rofl.

no offence pugs

11. fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

hehe i loled.

Mind you I work with a CCIE that has done his own cabling, but it was quite specific cabling, and noone else was approved to do it (so I guess you could call that 'holding a gun to his head').

12. Greystorm

Greystorm Member

I'll do my own cabling but it's pretty rare for me to rack and cable gear I guess. I seem to spend more time drawing and writing word docs now. :(

I would add the qos cert guide and Routing TCP/IP vol 2 (the Bgp bit) and a book on multicast to your reading list.

Good luck :)

13. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

thank you for the advice, i have most of the books already, i just update the list as i actally find a need for them. the one book i will need to pick up is the qos book.

how long ago did you do your exams? and how much MPLS was in the written exam? i notice that its not in the lab exam so if i dont have to get dirty with it i would prefer not to as i have enough to keep track of.....

cheers

14. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

updated the first post with chapters 5 and 6.

tomorrow the real work begins, routing protocols. i know all the layer 2 stuff like the back of my hand because i use quite complex configurations in that area day in day out, but routing protocol on the othre hand .........:wired:

15. fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

sounds like my workplace. Static routing is remarkably stable! I've gotta hand it to you, you are ripping through the basics damn quickly.

I may have a new role which may place the CCIE cert back in the crosshairs. I'll probably know the answer to that next week. :eek:

16. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

updated with RIP V2

17. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

updated with EIGRP, this is the routing protocol i know best because we use it at work. the older books ( TCP/IP VOL1) go into a much greater level of detail then i have seen on any other book that looks at EIGRP so that was good as i learnt a great deal more.

next i am going to place with dynagen, my goal is to try and make an SIA route ( i will probably adjust the timer to force an SIA early)

i also updated the first post will all the study material i have used so far.

cheers

18. Greystorm

Greystorm Member

I did the written before they added MPLS so I can't say. It's not in the lab so don't dive too deep on MPLS, I'd say what is covered in the cert guide should be enough.

Dynamips is great for doing routing labs. I would recommend running it on Linux over windows, the performance is much better.

19. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

added my eigrp playing around lab, while dicking around with summary routes i found a nasty event that can occour when you miss configure a summary route when the exact same route already exists within the network ( summary or not). because a summary route as a souce of null 0(only on the rouer that the summary is configured) and a local summary has an admin distance of 5 ( over 90 of eigrp) the null0 route will replace the learn't route in that routers local routing table ( it wont effect any other router). this is bad because traffic going by this router for those networks will get blackholed even though every router has enough information to get the packet to where it needs to go.

So, dont fuck up your summary routes!!!!

to Greystorm: except for RSTP, CST, RPVST , etc dynamips is also good enough for switching using a 3600 with the switching mod. that said i have 3750's, 3550, 3560's and 2960's at work that i have access to. but i cant use any of them in a dedicated CCIE study lab :upset:

20. Whisper

Whisper Member

EIGRP

K Values must match for routers to become neighbors

Know how to change the K values for a CCIE Lab exam (You never know)

Know the different ways bandwidth is calculated depending upon WAN network types.

Variance Command can be your friend. :)