itsmydamnations CCIE study journal

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by itsmydamnation, Sep 1, 2008.

1. nimmers

nimmers Member

Nah man I was left to sweat it out for 48hrs. Did the exam Friday and got the result 6pm Sunday.

Its a really stressful day, I had so many problems and had no time to double check a lot of stuff. At the end I knew for sure I had lost 6 points, 2 tasks I couldn't work out and 1 not attempted. Left me with 9 points I could lose so I wasn't certain.

I was 100% sure I nailed the open ended questions though so there was no anxiety there about that.

2. Stasis

Stasis Member

If you leave the exam early, the sydney proctor will generally mark it on the spot "unofficially" of course :)

3. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

yeah books have been good, its a pain in the arse making up the topologies so i mainly do INE and then read narbiks labs and do anything that isn't already covered so normally there is 70%-80% over lap. that said i don't always do all the INE stuff because there is some really over the top stuff in there.

So you still subscribe to the horror that is GS. between vendor wars, retards and Darby there isn't much value in it.

4. nimmers

nimmers Member

Darby has got to be by far the biggest imbecile in the industry at the moment. His stupidity is only surpassed by his sense of self importance.

5. Stasis

Stasis Member

what? you mean Darby's not a crusader for all that is righteous in this world? wow... ;).
    Yeah I still subscribe to GS, not really sure why as very few high level technical questions pop up anymore. There seems to be a large failure in researching for yourself/googling first.

6. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

well thats it, with the take off of CCIE number 25k ( 20k active) and blogg etc just about everything has already been written about and google will find you the answer.

7. nimmers

nimmers Member

I can honestly say I got an answer to one thing on GS and (I assume Stasis is D**e S**w) is the guy that answered it...

Pretty much everything else I learned from workbooks, textbooks and the documentation.

8. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

i dont know if he is, unless he changed jobs or im getting people mixed up :p

9. dragokahn

dragokahn Member

Sorted out the routers ready for my CCIE home Lab today.

Lots of installing RAM/FLASH/BOOTROM and Modules as well as updating all the IOS.

[​IMG]

10. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

got some switches to back that up ? :p

11. dragokahn

dragokahn Member

Still waiting on a couple of 2950s got 2x 3550s :)
    42RU rack & Managed PDU won't be ready for 4 - 6weeks.
    So will have to use it in the stack for awhile.

12. fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

hey you're in perth dragokhan yeah?
    Let me know if you are looking for a ccie sparring partner. I'll probably get serious about my study toward the end of the year.

13. dragokahn

dragokahn Member

Will do and I am indeed in Perth :)

I'm planning on going on Narbiks Sydney boot camp in December and am trying to organise with a couple of other engineers from Perth i know to go at the same time. Narbik offers free re-sits of his bootcamp so you can always go again before you sit your lab.

14. nimmers

nimmers Member

What kind of 2600s are they? INE are talking about upping the spec a bit to support MPLS.

This is what I used, now to work out how to convert it to a SP lab:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  15. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

INE ipexpert etc all use the same hardware setup for there SP and R&S labs so i just becomes an issue of supported code and feature set.

when are you planing to start studying? my misses has informed me that if i dont pass R&S that she will leave me ( sick of me studying 24/7) so i dont think i could get way with SP straight away.

that said:

42 days 1 hour 9 mins and 40 seconds till lab

16. nimmers

nimmers Member

Its not exactly the same, there's A few ATM interfaces and an ATM switch to worry about. Dunno if its worth the hassle. Thinking this time Ill just go for a decent quadcore box and dynamips it all up with 3 4 port NICs to break off to my switches.

If I wanted to copy INE's topology with physical gear I'd need a LS1010 ATM switch, 3 ATM interfaces and probably another router or 2. I need to look into what Id be missing out on running 2811s instead of the 7200s INE recommend.

I wouldn't study in such a way that it impacted my private life the way preparing for the lab did for a long while, no constant labbing in the evenings and weekends till next year. I ordered a couple of MPLS books last week and I need to have a read of the IS-IS section in Doyle's Routing TCP/IPvol1 book. Should be able to pass the SP written and renew my R&S by around January - got 2 years so no hurry. Probably wouldn't get serious about a lab until Narbik announces his SP bootcamp - I would definitely go to that. At his R&S bootcamp he mentioned that he intended for his SP track to be totally on Dynamips so maybe I'll send him a mail this week and ask his advice on building a lab.

17. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

yeah I7 is very nice for Dynamips, at 4GHZ i have yet to hit a cpu limit with router instances i've had upto about 30 at once ov 15 dynamips instances. lots of ram is important.

the really nice thing about dynamips/gen is that you can very easily import and export configurations. I have a net file for every lab i have done, i just double click it and i have all the routers up and running with the correct base configs.

works really well with INE vol1 V5.

18. dragokahn

dragokahn Member

Routers1-6 2621xm 48/256
    BB1-3 2610xm (NM1-E) 48/128
    FRAME & CONSOLE 2611 16/64

The 2600xm routers are running ADV ENTERPRISE 12.4(15)T9 IOS. I can drop the routers back to a 12.3 IOS that supports MPLS for when I do that section. Also have Q6600 with 8GB RAM & 4xLAN for Dynamips.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  19. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

Do you have an outline of what you have setup?

What hardware, what OS, and issues that you encountered in doing it that way?

20. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

this was just straight XP, i looked at using VMware but workstation can only use 2 threads per host and i didn't want to do multi host hypervisor. just had normal stuff set sparce mem etc.

i was running 7200's doing mainly IGP/BGP environment with lost of distribution etc.

you can get much better peroformace out of linux/bsd or even either of those running on VMware but i just couldn't be arsed.

my actual proper lab at work is 3 2.1ghz dual core C2D's and it eats 10 routers easy.