itsmydamnations CCIE study journal

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by itsmydamnation, Sep 1, 2008.

1. nimmers

nimmers Member

Kinda on that topic I'm gonna build me a box to run SP labs on and use 4 port NICs to break out to my switches. Does anyone know of a good source for these? Not willing to pay $250 each like they seem to be in the usual places.

Need 12 ports to do INE's topology.

2. Heywood

Heywood Member

What about USB based Ethernet NICs? Probably low throughput but enough to give connectivity?

3. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

just get a "break out" switch that can do Q-in-Q tunneling and then you cna us just one port with each vlan being a interface on a router, if you cna get a 3550 cheap it might be a fair bit cheaper then 4X 4 port nics.

this issue i have is my break out switch is only a 2948 no Q-in-Q

4. nimmers

nimmers Member

5. Heywood

Heywood Member

http://6200networks.com/2007/12/23/need-additional-in-your-lab/

Looks like a couple of handfuls of Linksys USB200Ms on some USB hubs may do the job.

I'm in negotiations with the missus at the moment about whether chasing a CCIE will be on the cards. At the moment it feels like I'm putting together a business case :( I'm tracking the expected hardware, materials and labour outlay right now.

I'm thinking simulated routers and physical switches will be the way to go myself. My crusty rack of 2500s and non-XM 2600s will be not up to scratch (though I guess the 2509 will have a job as termserv still)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  6. dragokahn

dragokahn Member

has anyone setup a Cisco Nexus 1000V in vmware?

would be good having your virtual routers plug into a virtual switch.

7. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

You can only virtualize some routers 3600 and 7200 mostly, there is no switch emulation at all. You can use the switch modules in the 3600 apparently but its not as full featured as a full 3550 or 3560 switch let alone a nexus.

8. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

cisco have a virtual switch for VMware, ltd could tell us more i guess. basicly VMware have opened up there ESX/v sphere networking stack and cisco have a nexus virtual router you can use for it.

edit: you can run v sphere in VMware workstation , maybe in 40 days time i might give it all a try :p

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  9. dragokahn

dragokahn Member

Cisco Nexus 1000V is a virtual switch made by cisco to run on vShpere or ESX

you can get a 60-day trial.

10. Stasis

Stasis Member

The breakout switch also doesn't have to be cisco, i picked up one of these http://www.extremenetworks.com/products/alpine-3800.aspx smaller model with 32xgig ports on it. So I use a single Gig port on my pc and trunk from the dynamips switch.

Only *issue* was that it has its own QinQ method where the customer/ingress frame ethertype needs to be different to what it is configured to use, It calls them Metrovlans or something like that. Seems like a poor implementation of .1ad. So my cisco switches/virtual routers use 0x8100 as the ethertype for .1q and the extreme switch/dynamips switch use 0x9100 for .1q This also negates the need for cdp forwarding etc. I managed to get it off aus ebay for 250.

11. Stasis

Stasis Member

Hrm seems like a very basic switch, ie no spanning-tree which would make study a bit interesting.

12. nimmers

nimmers Member

You reckon this is a better way to go? Actually sounds like it is. I still have all my physical R&S lab so maybe I should hang on to all 4 of my switches for now and just sell the routers.

13. Stasis

Stasis Member

Thats effectively what I did :) and I cant be happier to be honest, I don't have to worry about term servers/frame cloud etc. The only hurdle can be sourcing the breakout switch for a cheap enough price.

14. nimmers

nimmers Member

Even then on ebay 3550s are going for $450 and 3x 4 port nic cards is $600

Some people say CDP fully works using the breakout switch and others say it breaks CDP, what has your experience been?

Also I skimmed a couple of lab workbooks and they mention theres some limitations with ATM on dynamips, these were old workbooks though. Is there any issues you are aware of?

I was thinking of ordering parts for a new server this weekend with 3x 4 port nics but the beauty of this is that I can run it as a workstation at work and patch to the lab downstairs with 1 cable to access my switches so its nice and quiet.

15. Stasis

Stasis Member

CDP has been fine due to the different ethertypes I'm using( 0x8100 for inner , 0x9100 for outer ) my setup is basically operating as layer2 tunnels. My only concern with cdp would be when using a cisco switch, but aslong as it support cdp l2forwarding it shouldn't be a problem.

In regards to atm there are some limitations, I have mentioned them where found in the labs i wrote ( http://joshatterbury.com/labs/sp-workbook/ ) check the Fratm one for examples. Unless you have access to a LS1010 or similar the full range of atm stuff might be a bit difficult. But apart from that everything else seems fully capable.

16. nimmers

nimmers Member

Thanks for that advice. :thumbup:

I got all this set up over the weekend, CDP works fine using a 3560 as the breakout switch. The only small thing is the virtual routers can't auto detect the duplex settings so you need to set it.

Yet to do a full blown lab and see if it dies with BGP running on everything but Its all there.

17. nimmers

nimmers Member

So how did you go?

18. fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

Was yesterday the big day?

19. nimmers

nimmers Member

Not sure if it was, hes dropped off the planet.

20. Whisper

Whisper Member

I've been reliably informed that the test is on the 22nd of September, so you have jumped the gun a little.