itsmydamnations CCIE study journal

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by itsmydamnation, Sep 1, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

nope, only got 1 of 4. basiclly know every and anything on any of the R&S related config guides, i got questions about stuff i have never seen even mentioned to do with CCIE, switch clustering, aaa accounting.

yay :sick::thumbdn: .

the proctor said that if all goes well they will hopefully remove the OEQ's in 6 months or so, i guess i will be waiting until then for my next attempt.

2. nimmers

nimmers Member

Did you pass the lab?

3. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

yep, i finished in 4 1/2 hours, went over it twice, picked up a few little things i missed, asked the proctor about a million questions.

someone one during the lab was cheating and tried to dump the stuff in the toilet and claim innocents.

4. nimmers

nimmers Member

This was my worst nightmare scenario. Its completely unfair. You should raise a case if you feel the questions weren't in the blueprint and you're confident you passed the practical.

Glad the a#$hole cheating got caught, people like that are the reason these questions exist and why you failed today :(

5. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

i went and looked up the OEQ answers just now, i wasn't close for some of them. :upset: . im not feeling too bad at the moment i kind of knew it was comming.

6. Whisper

Whisper Member

So you aced the lab, but got smashed on the other thing that they sort of just introduced, sort of recently? :)

7. fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

bad luck dude. If its any consolation, one of my colleagues attempted it recently, failed, and more or less described the same thing as you.

Before it was the lab that marked the difference between boys and men. Looks like its now the OEQ's. In wonder if this is Cisco's response to the people who can memorize a config from the bootcamp style training organizations?

8. nimmers

nimmers Member

Switch stacking question.... The official hardware blueprint is:

There aren't any stackable switches there!

9. MrvNDMrtN

MrvNDMrtN Member

So the open ended stuff is pretty hardcore... :sick: I wonder what the scope is on these questions..

I guess this is to slow down the lab rats..

10. Stasis

Stasis Member

Unrelated to the blueprint but Switch stacking != Switch clustering.

11. nimmers

nimmers Member

12. Heywood

Heywood Member

It must be frustrating as hell to have been able to pass the lab and get boned on the OEQs. Thanks for letting us know of your experiences though, it's appreciated - I suppose the good thing is you know that your lab preparation has been well founded and that when you attempt again if you've got the level of depth across the topics you should do well again.

I'm glad that the cheater got caught - they should bring him/her to networkers so everyone can throw 2500s at them.

13. tonycfc

tonycfc Member

bad luck mate :( im studying my CCIE RS too... and whats OEQ?

14. MrvNDMrtN

MrvNDMrtN Member

Open Ended Questions.

Makes it hard for the lab rats and mega memory guys to pass.

Basically you have to use experience and logic to tie in all your knowledge to get an answer.

edit: I've been reading on what kind of questions can be on the OEQs and it seems they're supposed to be CCNP level... maybe its the interpretation of the questions that is the problem..

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  15. nimmers

nimmers Member

Its just luck, my questions were pretty much from books in the recommended reading list and I thought they were fair and on topic. But if he got asked a few questions about stuff not in the recommended reading list on features that are EOL and not even configurable in the lab hardware then its just revenue raising on Ciscos part.

It's really unfair because if people get asked stupid questions they can't challenge them publically because they can't break NDA - it's between you and Cisco. They can throw you some off topic questions and you pretty much have to just suck it up :(

16. fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  17. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

the oeq's aren't about real world experence, the one that i got right you wouldn't really see in real life because you would design a much more scailible solution, it was only from my lab studies that i knew the answer.

the switch cluster question i had nothing,
    the aaa accounting question i did actually know the answer when i looked it up i just didn't know what they where exaclty asking. So unless you know cisco termonology for all syntax of all commands then you can easily get an OEQ know exactly what it does, how to implement it in real life but still get the oeq wrong.

the 4th question is one i should have known the answer to and its something i know very very well but i never use the exact show commands they had the output for and the name of the show command no way relates to the output.

the proctor said if all goes well OEQ's will be gone in 6months, i think im just gonna wait.

18. tonycfc

tonycfc Member

are the OEQs part of the written or lab exam? i never heard about you have to do OEQ for CCIE? :confused:

19. fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

Its all on the CCIE site:-

https://cisco.hosted.jivesoftware.com/docs/DOC-3854

20. nimmers

nimmers Member