itsmydamnations CCIE study journal

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by itsmydamnation, Sep 1, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

most of the time only when being used with the bandwidth, delay commandd and the ip bandwidth-percent command. Remember unequal cost LB routes must meet the FC.

2. Stasis

Stasis Member

Re: query about mpls, obviously there is the nda to consider, But the depth of knowledge required for the written exam is easily covered by any intro to mpls type book.

cisco's support section has become my best friend lately :).

Cheers.
    Josh

3. Whisper

Whisper Member

You mean FD, right? :leet:

4. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

remember you must meet the FC, which is FD being less then the AD of the feaisble route. if the route meets the FC then it can become a FS :p . Sooooooooo really they are the same thing.

i will get my ospf stuff up tomorrow, been a bit bizzy this last week and OSPF is a bit more complex then other IGP's and i dont use it at all so i have had to take my time with it.

cheers

5. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

I have updated with my notes for OSPF. it has taken me almost a week and around 600 pages of reading........ i am now totally sick of any TLA that starts with LS :wired:

6. fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

LSH? Link State Headache?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  7. Heywood

Heywood Member

It gets annoying when related protocols use the same TLAs, for example OSPF and MPLS - it can sometimes take a little while to recognise the context the thing called an LSP is referring to :)

8. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

to stasis: what are you using for your lab setup, are you just making up topologies as you go along or following something like internetwork expect labs etc.

cheers

9. Stasis

Stasis Member

I am using both ipexpert and internetwork.
    From ipexpert I am using their graded labs and workbook.
    From internetwork expert I'm using the dynamips specific workbooks.

My study routing for the next 15weeks is 3 labs a week.

Monday - Friday morning 5am - 7am : Dynamips lab1 ( @ home )

Monday, Tues, Thurs, Fri afternoon 2pm - 5pm Dynamip Lab2 ( @ work Depending on workload)

Wednesday afternoon 2pm - Late online rack rental from Proctorlabs, using ipexpert graded lab.

I could use actual hardware at work for practise but trying to organise to have it full time is a pita.....

10. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

Have updated with PBR and BGP.

the PBR config journal is carp because i know how to do all of that config like the bakc of my hand. the BGP one is incomplete because after going though a few hunderd pages of BGP configs i came to the relization that im doing the thory exam first not the LAB so i stopped :p .

I dont really ever touch BGP, but it is a lot friendlyer then i remember it.

cheers

11. Stasis

Stasis Member

Heya,

I just had a quick skim through a couple of the docs you have posted. In the ospf one you have this

"STUB networks
    If there are stub networks connected to a router, it is useful to issue the command
    redistribute connected subnets . This command is issued as part of the router process configuration, and it includes the connected subnets in OSPF advertisements without actually running OSPF on them. This is very useful for real OSPF configurations, particularly those that involve WAN pay-per-packet, low-bandwidth links."

I believe its a quote or something, But another way to achieve the goal is to use the passive interface statement, So Router1 has S1/0 and ip is 123.1.1.1/24
    !
    router ospf 1
    passive-interface Serial 1/0
    network 123.1.1.1 0.0.0.0 a 0
    !

12. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

wow some one is reading my notes :p

depending how lazy i am feeling i either write my own notes or just copy slabs sometimes.....lol

that said i wasn't aware that you could advertise an interfaces network while using the passive-interface command, i will have to give it a play with GNS3.

i will also update my notes with it.

how did you determine when you where ready for the written exam? i am hopefull that after i read all this material my notes will be enough to reinforce the theory.

the good new for me is that work is going to buy me 4 3560-24-TS switches, two 7 port usb hubs(with external power) and 14 usb to ethernet adapters. with this i will be able to emulate all 40 of internetworking expert technology labs as well as the 3 moc labs. All i will have to do is redo the frame switch config as needed in GNS3.

13. Stasis

Stasis Member

I honestly didn't do a focused study for the written, All my prep has been for the lab and obviously that still involves theory , I find i learn better if i can reinforce a block of text with some hands on work. So I got to the stage where I wanted to book the lab and had to do the written :)

With your lab setup in gns you won't have to reconfigure the frame switch itself each time, Just create a fully meshed frame cloud so you have dlci's pointing everywhere :), Then you only use the dlci's needed for that lab..

In regards to the passive interface statement, What it does is prevents the routing protocol from sending data on that interface, So you can still advertise the network on the interface without forming neighbors. If your using Internetwork Expert material you will become very familar with the command ;)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  14. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

i haven't started using it yet, thats what im going to use after i finish reading. its that that i didn't understand what the passive interface command does, it was a wasn't aware that you can advertise its net.

i do practise on routers/switches as well, but no where near as much or as much detail as i will when focuing on the lab. thats just because with things like OSPF you see very little of its compexity when you implement it.

15. Stasis

Stasis Member

The complexity is there with ospf, you just have to look for it and some of the scenarios you come across in the labs will hit you in the face with it :)

16. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

execpt with frame relay not really, maybe a little with NSSA looking at how the LSA's work. but i mean things like the process it goes though when deciding if a LSU is a valid update etc.

do you knwo what terminal client is used for the CCIE lab exam. i cant find the answer anywhere i figure it would be best to start using it 24/7.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  17. Stasis

Stasis Member

I attended a ccie bootcamp recently and was lucky enough to have the Sydney proctor sitting in the course. I'm pretty sure from memory he said it was securecrt.

18. OP
    OP
    itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

i have heard the same i just couldn't find it stated anywhere. thax for the info.

19. fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

Things I found interesting about ospf

-"omgwtfbbq my interface is stuck in 2-way"
    -Using tunnels as an alternative to virtual links
    -Use in hubnspoke NBMA, and the various modes you can use.
    -timer tweaks
    -Troubleshooting ospf
    -adjaceny failures
    -redistribution
    -using distribute lists (i was adamant at one stage that this only made sense for DV protocols)
    -CPU and memory limits, and recognizing overloads from SPF process.
    -ospfv3
    -debugging - wow all those damn LSAs and their types and knowing when they are out of place.

20. Whisper

Whisper Member

It is definitely SecureCRT

Learn it and love it. You,
    DO NOT WANT TO BE LEARNING A NEW TELNET PROGRAM IN YOUR CCIE LAB EXAM!!!