Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Little Raven Ridge Machiney (HTPC)

Discussion in 'PC Build Logs' started by Sgt Bilko, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Hi there boys and girls!

This is the first HTPC I've built and I wanted to share it with all of you :D

So lets start off with the parts list

[​IMG]
    AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics
    Noctua NH-L9a Cooler
    In Win Chopin Case with 150w PSU
    Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi Motherboard
    2 x 8GB Team Group T-Force Dark 3000 c16 DDR4 (Thanks to TeamGroup for supplying these)
    Samsung 860 Evo 1TB M.2
    2 x 2TB Seagate Firecuda 2.5" drives (Thanks to Seagate for supplying these)

So all in all it's looking to be a compact but decent gaming system with lots of storage but we'll get on with the build.

First thing I did was install the 2 x 2.5" Firecuda drives that'll be for mass storage and games, the Chopin can only take 2 x 2.5" drives and for this build the Firecudas were a good match
    [​IMG]
    There is also a single Sata power connector on the 150w PSU but In Win include a splitter for use with 2 drives.

Secondly came getting the motherboard setup, since this case is so tiny you really want to mount everything you can to the board before you put it into the case, my choice for this build was the awesome little AB350N-Gaming WIFI from Gigabyte
    [​IMG]
    On this board for Internal I/O we have 4 x SATA ports, 1 x USB 3.0 header, 2 x PWM Fan Headers, 1 x USB 2.0 Header, 1 x SPDIF header and a single M.2 slot which leads me to mounting it.

Mounting the M.2 drive on this board means flipping it over like so
    [​IMG]
    And that's all the drives done!

[​IMG]
    For rear I/O we have 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A ports (Red), 4 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports (Blue), 2 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports (Black), 1 x PS/2 ports (if that floats your boat), 1 x Displayport 1.2, 1 x HDMI 1.4a, 7.1 Channel Audio, 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi and a single Gigabit Ethernet port.

[​IMG]
    Next came mounting the CPU cooler, for this case there are 3 options that I currently know of, the Noctua NH-L9a like I have here, the Cryorig C7 and the Wraith Stealth cooler which comes in the box with both the Ryzen 3 2200G and Ryzen 5 2400G, it does require you to remove the shroud around the ring for it to fit (Thanks to Hardware Unboxed for that piece of info).

This cooler is small but has got some weight to it!
    [​IMG]
    First thing you'll want to do is remove the stock AMD brackets and backplate and then comes the tricky part...
    [​IMG]
    Processor goes in before this, I was paying attention! (also put in the I/O shield at this point as well)
    [​IMG]
    Hard to take photos while installing this but the instructions are very clear and precise, 1 step closer to completion!

Next came installing the memory
    [​IMG]
    I really like the look of these sticks and with Team Group having a QVL list for many different motherboards they are worth checking out.
    [​IMG]
    Memory Installed!
    This kit isn't any taller than the cooler used which is great news.
    [​IMG]
    No photo from when this was a spaghetti monster sadly, I think it's pretty clean but you guys tell me?
    [​IMG]
    Side Panel fits back on nice and snug
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And I'm done!

Next up will be some gaming benchmarks but I'd like to know what you all want to see from it?

kreegor, sskmercer and adamsleath like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

First round of gaming benchmarks!

At this point I've tested Warframe, Skyrim, Fallout 4, Dirt 3 and Borderlands 2 all on the 1080P High preset.

[​IMG]

I tested Warframe in 2 locations, one being Lua and again in Plains of Eidolon since the latter is more system intensive.
    [​IMG]

Skyrim was tested in Markarth
    [​IMG]

Dirt 3 was tested using the in game benchmark
    [​IMG]

Fallout 4 was tested on a run between Vault 111 to Sanctuary then past the Red Rocket Truck Stop then into the streets on Concord
    [​IMG]

Borderlands 2 runs pretty much the same all over the map but I tested in Tundra Express
    [​IMG]

If there are any others you'd like to see let me know, If I have the game and time to test it I'll take a look :)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    echineon likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Reserved

4. Jazper

Jazper Member

Wow that looks awesome

5. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Tidy build Sarge :thumbup:
    Game numbers are done to death imho.
    Some numbers of temps and apu usage while decoding a heap of different video codecs at 4k resolution please.
    Library build times in Kodi or similar other front end would be nice to look at too.
    Startup times etc
    General 'feel' as a 4k desktop machine too please

Zenskas likes this.
  6. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Very nice. I've been waiting for someone to do a build with the Raven APU's. Looking forward to your verdict on the chip, which should be one of the most versatile chips for the money on the planet I hope, because I plan on moving in the same direction with my next build (although I plan on going with a 2400G). I could have made my current custom case half the size if I'd been able to dispense with a GPU at the time.

I've been recommending the components in your build for some time, despite not actually having used one of the APU's yet. The whole platform looks like incredible value for money to me.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  7. Satriani

Satriani Member

Awesome little build i like it a lot
    I'd like to see some gaming benches please.

8. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

So the only fan in the case is the HSF? I'd be worried about dust I guess, through that non-filtered mesh. As long as the fan on the HSF is easily removable from the top and you can just blast it out with a blower vac, it'd be alright.

9. tunksy

tunksy Member

wana see some 1080p pubg benchies hehe!

edit: maybe some skyrim runs too?

10. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I ran an ISK-110 with a 4790 and stock heatsink for years. Used to take the cover off (just an open mesh, no filters) about every 6 months and blow the cooler clean. It never took much, just a light buildup, and of course removing the fan on the Intel HSF is dead easy. I think that little bit of mesh actually makes a big difference.

I'm currently running my Ryzen rig in a completely open temporary 'case' while I finish my Jukebox custom case, it seems to pull in considerably more dust than the stock HSF on the intel/ISK-110 setup did.

At the moment I just have the Ryzen rig sitting horizontally with a square demsi filter just sitting on top of the Wraith Spire cooler, no sign of dust anywhere else. Not even in the GPU fan (1050Ti LP) which is completely open. Even the very fine demsi filter only gets a quick wipe with a dry rag every couple of weeks, not that it actually needs it, but being open, dust is very visible.

I haven't cleaned this filter for about a fortnight. (The toggle switch is an ON/ON switch for the CMOS.. CLR/RUN. I wish this thing just had a CLR CMOS button..)

I suspect the speed and power of the fans have an effect too, the Spire is obviously moving a lot more air than the Intel HSF did, and the 1050Ti fan is barely spinning at all given its doing very little work.

Neither rigs had/have any case fans at all.

11. OP
    OP
    Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Thanks mate :)

Could you give me a few examples of decoding?

As for General feel I've already been using this for about a week and it's a zippy little machine, never gets loud and tbh I may even start taking it away with me when I travel :D

Cheers Ratzz, The enthusiast in me really wanted the 2400G just because I could but I decided to settle on the 2200G as most of what it'll be used for is video playback and some light gaming, for anything heavier I'd be wanting those extra threads and CUs.

Sure thing :)

As Ratzz said I don't expect it to get really dusty but that said the fan comes off with 4 screws so not hard to give it a good clean when needed.

PUBG isn't possible I'm afraid as I don't have the game for one and secondly my internet isn't so great for most MP games, Skyrim I can do though :)

tunksy likes this.
  12. echineon

echineon Member

Can you do warframe or divinity -original sin 1/2 and shadow tactic blade of shogun games? Warframe is free to play but the other 3 are not but I'm tossing up between 2200 and 2400 for those games. Thanks.

13. OP
    OP
    Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Warframe I can do, I play it quite a bit on my main rig and I am curious to see how the 2200G can handle it as well :)

Amazingly I don't have either Divinity games or Blades of the Shogun :(

14. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

I'm going to be very interested in the next iteration (2300G and 2500G, or 3200G and 3400G) as I'd love something that just does enough for gaming at 1440P. I don't play much , but 40-60fps with freesync would be enough.

15. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

16. BistecConBigote

BistecConBigote Member

Funny that you can get away with just a 150W PSU just by dropping the GPU. Historically anything less than 300W wasn't really viable for a HTPC/gaming machine.

17. echineon

echineon Member

Also is there anyway for you to monitor temp near the vrm for soc when overclocking? I'm planning to use my current b350m (mATX) for 2x00g and use the next ATX x470 for my 1700 so keen to hear thermal performance on those apus.

18. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm kinda moving in the same direction. I plan on using my B350 Asrock ITX board for a Raven APU, and moving my 1700 to one of the new boards. I may even go with mATX, for the extra PCIE slots, when I do so.

If thermal performance is good with the APU's, then a very low profile cooler will allow me to make a super tiny machine.

19. echineon

echineon Member

Same here mate, I slapped 2 alu fin on the SOC VRM on my mATX so I think I'm not in too much trouble overclocking APU but only time will tell. I bought this Antec HTPC case in anticipation of the Raven Ridge ages ago and I think the original Wraith cooler from 1700 will fit with a TFX PSU. Makes a nice HTPC and multipurpose machine for my wife with her Korean dramas. :D

/edit: To OP, if you want to make some comparison of 2200G performance between 3000 and 2133 RAM I got a pair to loan if you're in SYD. Gonna use them on the HTPC when I get it together so keen to hear how they performs.

20. OP
    OP
    Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Can manually downclock the memory and timings if people want to see some scaling tests?

echineon and sammy_b0i like this.