1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

iView without antenna?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by maldotcom2, Aug 10, 2020.

1. maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

I have a situation where my TV is located in a room without an antenna connection. Running a cable through the house or installing a new connection in the wall aren't options.

I want to watch ABC iView, but it seems as though it won't work without an antenna connection. I don't see a way to cast from the iView phone app either.

What are my options?

2. sickbunny

sickbunny Member

Apple TV or similar with the iview app?

3. nico6

nico6 Member

I run the iView app on my LG TV and the TV doesn't have an antennae connected (that's connected to Foxtel iQ4)

That is, the iView app only needs the internet

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    Dilbery likes this.
  4. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

5. Chris McGimpsey-Jones

Chris McGimpsey-Jones New Member

iView has on demand services in addition to their broadcasts. You do not need an antenna. Also, the Android app has Chromecast ability if that helps.

6. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

If you want to watch ABC in HD you do... iview is max 720p.

JSmith

7. Chris McGimpsey-Jones

Chris McGimpsey-Jones New Member

Your post is a little confusing in relation to what the OP asked. Are you talking about the ABC HD broadcast through FTA? In that case, yes you are correct. As I understand it ABC HD is only available through FTA as the live stream of ABC through iView is 720p. However, this is not what the OP asked.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  8. power

power Member

to further crap up the thread 720p IS HD, 1080P is FullHD and 2160p is UltraHD.

that said i don't know what the ABC OTA broadcast is.

OP, can you tell us more about your tele (if you can cast to it it must be a smart tv).

9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

All Australian Free-To-Air broadcast channels must either be 576i @25Hz (Standard Defintion), or 1080i @25Hz (High Definition).

ABC HD ("channel 20" where I live) is 1080i25.

All other ABC channels (Me, Kids, News, etc) are 576i25.

-----------------------------------------------------

Outside of that, this thread is an absolute mess. (No reference to you power , I'm changing topic here).

iView is ABC's Internet-based service. It has nothing to do with Free-To-Air broadcast television. You can view it on anything with an Internet connection including your computer, phone, tablet, etc. If you have a "Smart" TV with Internet access, you can watch it via the app. Don't confuse this with broadcast television, just because it's coming out of a TV screen.

All other ABC channels on a standard TV use regular television broadcast signals, which have nothing to do with the Internet.

These are two very separate things.

To be very blunt:

ABC iView has nothing to do with broadcast or "antenna connections". It's Internet based, and your device requires Internet access. If your TV is a "smart TV", then connect it to the Internet, and iView will be available, no TV antenna required.

Here's the URL if you want to watch iView on your computer:
    https://iview.abc.net.au/

Alternatively, download the app on any iOS or Android device from the respective stores.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    CAPT-Irrelevant and Stooge007 like this.
  10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Anything wrong with grabbing an indoor bunny ears antenna or similar?

11. MELso76

MELso76 Member

Just as a thought, OP are you trying to watch iView through the built in Freeview app which only shows up when tuned to an ABC channel? If so, you'll need both an antenna connection and internet.

If not, internet will suffice...

12. OP
    OP
    maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

Ok so the TV in question is a Samsung. Only bought it last year.

The way I used to launch iView is to be watching an ABC channel, and then hit the red button on the remote. Now that doesn't work obviously.

I found the iView app manually in the TV apps and tried to launch it, but it just says "Error, unable to connect to the Samsung server. Check your network settings or try again". The same situation with any of the TV related apps, 10, 9, SBS. Youtube works fine though. The connection isn't getting Pihole'd so I dunno what's going on.

13. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

See this is the main reason I never use onboard apps with these "dumb" TV's... just plug in a PC or an open media streamer and forget about this problem. I hate with a passion trying to navigate "smart" functions with a remote control only anyway... give me a keyboard and mouse any day.

JSmith

14. OP
    OP
    maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

Agreed. It's a bastard.

Ok so I did a little digging and the word on the grapevine is that I need to "reset my smart hub". So I did that, and up pops a new set of T&C's that I need to agree to in order to be allowed back into apps. Bumbow...can't connect to server. Now I don't have access to any apps. The situation is worsening.

15. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

16. OP
    OP
    maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

Ok I'm happy to report - mission successful.

Combination of resetting the smart hub, and then a soft TV reset by holding the power button down on the remote until the TV powers off, and then back on. THEN I could accept the new T&C's, login to my Samsung account for some reason, then reinstall iView.

The soft reset alone didn't work in isolation. But combined with a smart hub reset really must have tickled it in the right places. Well done Samsung.

Thanks all for the support.