Iwaki Pumps performance curves

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Cathar, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Cathar

Cathar Storm Father

Hi All,

Paid a visit to Iwaki Pumps Australia a few days ago and picked up their brochure on the MD pumps. Thought you guys might be interested in the flow/pressure (PQ) curves for their various models. The sheets show both 50Hz and 60Hz versions, but remember Australia uses 50Hz so we get the lower performance. :(

[​IMG]

Will follow up this post with the size measurements.

2. OP
    OP
    Cathar

Cathar Storm Father

Pump sizes/dimensions:

[​IMG]

3. StopShootingMe

StopShootingMe Member

I want to see some tests. One thing I thought interesting, a while ago I read up some inforamtion on Iwaki pumps to see whether they might be better than Eheim for watercooling.

Anyway, one of the features that they boasted was that that particular model of pump was designed in such a fashion that operational heat was transferred directly to the fluid being pumped thus carried away.

Now this would be fine if used as say, a bilge pump on a boat, but for water cooling, needless to say, it would be less of a bonus. I dont know whether that feature would be standard across the range...

4. Volenti

Volenti Member

Nice work Cathar:D, they didn't happen to mention any australian distributers did they? or can you buy directly from them?

I believe that they we're refering to any heat that the internal (wet) impeller bearings produced, which would be minimal I assume, the motors are air cooled.

[edit]LOL, I can see my self getting one of the dual head models and running it in series with it's self:eek: :D

Last edited: Dec 30, 2002
  5. pippin88

pippin88 Member

The 40RX looks like a good pump for watercooling.

Any idea where we can get RRP's and good prices?

6. Nobes

Nobes Member

i was thinking the 40RZ was good
    max flow is about 1300L/h so slightly more than a 1250 Ehiem and dam it dont mind giving so head LOL
    could make some nice blocks with that sort of presure capacity

or a really high bong aswell LOL

Last edited: Dec 31, 2002
  7. Greedy Guido

Greedy Guido Member

8. TOX

TOX Member

Im just wondering weither it is worth getting in contact with the Melbourne branch to look at there pumps :) compare them to some of the others.

9. Volenti

Volenti Member

That's all well and good, but I've e-mailed them before about local distributers and got no response.

10. OP
    OP
    Cathar

Cathar Storm Father

Iwaki Australia isn't exactly a retailer from what I understand. Many Australian distributors are weird like that, in that if you're not a business looking to buy 100+ items, they don't want to know about you.

I just gave the Melbourne branch a call, and then rocked up at their door. They were very friendly and were most happy to show me their range.

Not that I had to with these guys, but for some companies it helps to invent a company name and say you're calling from that company to get a foot in the door so to speak.

11. Long Haired Git

Long Haired Git Member

How much head does a LRR and BA setup have?
    I'm throttled to 28k at the moment so can't suffer searching for eheim headloss curves....

12. OP
    OP
    Cathar

Cathar Storm Father

Eheim PQ curves:

[​IMG]

With the 1048, a WW + BA + 2m of tubing results in 5.0lpm flow rates. Looking at the graph, that's 1.1m head of back-pressure at 5.0lpm.

Back-pressure head goes up quadratically with respect to flow rates, so to double the flow to 10.0lpm would require 4.4m of head pressure, which happens to be what my Pondmaster 4200 can push.

Mind you, not that I could tell any significant performance difference (<0.5C) between 5lpm (Eheim 1048), 6.8lpm (Eheim 1250) and 10.0lpm (PM-4200).

If it were I, I'd be looking to optimise around the 6-8lpm range, but that's specific to the WW. For other blocks, it can be better to optimise around the 8-12lpm range.

13. OP
    OP
    Cathar

Cathar Storm Father

Hmmm, so looking at those Iwaki graphs, it looks to me like the 20-R is pretty much the pump that would suit most water-cooling needs, with the 20-RZ suitable for high head height applications (bongs, multiple restrictive blocks, etc)

14. pippin88

pippin88 Member

No prices as far as I can see, but atm Im stuck on 28.8 so digging is not so easy.

I was considering (depending on pricing) buying a 20R, until I looked at the dimensions. Not very small pumps.

15. Volenti

Volenti Member

Yea the 20-RZ is the one I'll be gunning for, if we can ever find a place to buy them from:rolleyes:

16. Volenti

Volenti Member

I've just quizzed my Computer supplier about the Iwaki pumps, he's looking into them. :D

[edit] Awsome, he can get them:cool: I'll post a link on thursday when he get's all the prices.

17. nikhsub1

nikhsub1 Member

I just picked up a brand new MD-15R - Much smaller than the 20 series and has 3.4M head. Should do better than my 1250 with a 2M head! Gotta love ebay! $70 and never been used...

18. OP
    OP
    Cathar

Cathar Storm Father

Yes, 3.4m head for you US lads on 60Hz. 2.4m head for the Aussies...

19. nikhsub1

nikhsub1 Member

I know... I ran the thing for 1/2 hour, man that thing gets warm! But, the top of the pump where the water goes stays nice and cool...

20. Since87

Since87 New Member

Yeah, the performance loss at 50 Hz sucks.

Can you get "inverters" for converting your power to 120V, 60Hz for running American devices pretty cheaply? For an MD-20, you'd only need one rated for 100Watts. (or 100VA)

It would be a fairly easy matter to add a transformer to get the voltage back up to 240V. (Probably wouldn't be hard to find something to cannibalize for the transformer.)

You'd need to make sure the inverter was designed to put out a sine wave. (Really cheap ones wont.) You'd probably need to add some filtering as well to clean up the somewhat "dirty" output of the inverter. The pump might not be happy with the harmonics that come out of even a fairly good inverter.

I would think that if you're investing the money in one of these pumps, powering it for better head would be worth it.

If someone wants to do this, I'd be happy to help, but you'd be better off finding an EE there who knows what's available and where.