Jack Russell with dry skin

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Madengineer, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Hey guys,

Little pupper had a check up the other day, and while she's in great condition post op, she's got a problem with dry skin which is leading her to scratch. A LOT. So much so that I believed she had fleas.

They suggested giving her fish oil (apparently squirting some onto her dry food every day).

What are other methods people suggest?

They also strongly recommended a Fido brand dog shampoo and conditioner that was all natural (in order to 'revitalise' the skin.

Does anybody have some suggestions on this as well?

Anybody got suggestions for online stores selling this stuff?

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Do you have an Aloe vera plant growing?

If not get one of these exceptional plants - strip the outer leave covering and grab that gel and smear it at the localised place (and around).

Aloe vera......Aloe vera.......Aloe vera.

Stop trying to buy into some crap and use a very well known herb! I use it for burns and skin irritations.

https://www.aloecure.com/blog/aloe-vera-rashes-itching/
    http://www.naturesfoodpatch.com/com...0841&storeID=A5PJLP3ME3S92N5800AKHLBD34WS3RL1

Also - STOP USING SOAP!!! On a dog!

3. broccoli

broccoli Member

Did the vet mention anti-histamines? One of my previous dogs was "itchy" and when he'd start up, I'd give him half a cetirizine (prescribed by the vet, but it's over-the-counter people medicine). He was also prescribed prednisone a few times.
    My other little dog had dry skin (although she didn't scratch) and on her I used oatmeal shampoo. The Fido Everyday shampoo is very good too, but the oatmeal is supposed to be soothing. There's another one called Episoothe. Don't wash her often, only when she's really grotty or rolls in something. Let her natural oils take care of her skin and coat. I hardly ever washed my dry skin dog, she didn't smell and she didn't get grotty (unlike my little grey westie).