Jac's trip down memory lane

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by JaC, Jul 18, 2020.

1. rugger

rugger Member

Not sure if you still need to do this, but the ONLY way to clean RAM/PCI/PCI-e contacts worth a damn is with a big pencil eraser.

Like:
    https://www.faber-castell.com/products/709520eraserwhite/189520

This will clean and polish computer contacts without causing damage better than virtually any other way.

sean0118, hutts24 and adz like this.
  2. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

3. rugger

rugger Member

I remember trying to add extra cooling to slots with methods like this.

Largely to be abandoned soon after due to noise and inefficiency. Thankfully, card cooling has gotten much better now everyone had given up on single slot designs for high power graphics cards.

4. OP
    OP
    JaC

JaC Member

Oh wow, I have used this method for cleaning other electrical contacts but hadn't thought of it for edge connectors. I'll definitely be giving it a shot.

That's awesome. My old core 2 duo had an 8800GT on a GA-P35, but no clip on blower!

Arctic_Silver08 likes this.
  5. ozz

ozz Member

ive encountered dirty ram pci , pcie slots on boards ive bought over the years , ive just used already used 1200 wet and dry with wd40 , folded to not too tight a fit in the slots so as it doesnt catch the fingers, tear off and put them out of their place,a back and forward rub several times , spray with electrical cleaner, have a look , another go if needed, then sprayed again with electrical cleaner and a good air blow out, has worked every time, hasnt hurt an thing, done the same for ram and gpu contacts as well , works like a beauty

6. Vanne

Vanne Member

ive got few mac 8800GT's, also no clip on blower. also, i have one of those adapters, (no idea if its gonna work though) so cant really help with that, pretty sure its going to be a long shot as the p500 thats in my box is a katmai cpu, so probably not much joy with the talantuan.

Come on, you know you wanna solder the extra ram chips on :D

7. OP
    OP
    JaC

JaC Member

Tried this today and holy shit every stick came to life.

Plenty of soldering still queued up :)

Had a bit more of a play with the thunderbird today. Got some drivers installed. Looks like the PCI slots on that board aren't the most healthy. No luck at all with getting a sound card to work so onboard sound might have to do. Did have some success with a network card but it's far from reliable, even after trying the eraser on the contacts.

adz, rugger and Vanne like this.
  8. Vanne

Vanne Member

at least its progress :D

9. rugger

rugger Member

Yeah, I had the same reaction when I first tried it on memory modules ... watching the pins become clean like new without harsh abrasive action.

JaC likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    JaC

JaC Member

Well, the ebay seller basically told me to piss off, in not so many words. Actually in no words at all. Just closed the dispute with no reply. With the extra leg of shipping I was outside the time window where I had any rights. Awesome.

The backup soltek continues to be flaky as hell. Trying to run anything 3d accelerated either locks with a black screen or falls back to a software renderer in the case of UT. Pretty sure it's rooted as well so that's another win for me buying shit off ebay.

Anyway, another KT7A popped up on ebay in Russia so what do you think I did? Man I'm a slow learner.

The P3 coppermine 1ghz arrived this morning. Got it in the slot-t, jumpers set, dip switches on the motherboard set. Turns out the HSF that came with the busted KT7A is a good fit so that's something. Need to pull a power supply from something temporarily to test but time to do so midweek is hard to come by.

Vanne likes this.
  11. hutts24

hutts24 Member

Oh that sucks. Good luck with the Russian KT7A!

12. Vanne

Vanne Member

AWESOME!!!, i am not the only one who doesnt learn... lol.. All jokes aside, good luck with the new KT7A, hope that fares better.. I hear ya about the extra leg of shipping.. had the same shit happen to me with a pair of racing seat belts.. bastard knew I was in Dubai, and shipping address in LA, so bloke just goes, yeah no worries return them (after i told him i was in DXB).. shipping would cost me more than the bloody seat belt.. pricks...

Anyhow, back to the frey...

Really interested if that 1ghz coppermine will go.. do report back pls :)

13. OP
    OP
    JaC

JaC Member

KT7As for me are like Voodoo2s for you.

Russian KT7A has been posted. I wonder when it will arri....

upload_2020-10-10_19-27-27.png
    FFS.

No progress on the P3. Haven't touched anything for a few weeks. Work has been busy and all time at home has been spent with my little man.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    Vanne likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    JaC

JaC Member

The P3 continues to be troublesome. Back in April I thought this one would go together quickly and easily but oh how wrong I was.

Tried a couple of coppermine 1ghz cpus without luck. Tried running them at 100mhz fsb too because the board at least explicitly listed support for 750mhz (7.5x100) CPUs. I get nothing.

It still works with the slot 1 celly 266 so maybe the slot-t is the issue.

Bidding on a tusl2-c which definitely supports the coppermines and tualatin chips I have. The slot 1 board can be a spare for a low end P3 machine I'd like to put together.

Still haven't had the kt7a turn up.

Been picking up some other bits and pieces around the place and my strike rate for working stuff is under 50% which is starting to get very frustrating.

okclock123 and Vanne like this.
  15. hutts24

hutts24 Member

P3s are usually straight forward. The slot-t adapter may be at fault as you say, because your board runs the celeron 266, but that board uses a VIA chipset, doesn't it? Have you tried using a slot 1 board with an Intel chipset? VIA's chipsets for intel were never really much good. Their Athlon chipsets were better because AMD enforced their own quality control standards upon the manufacturing of the Athlon specific chipsets.

I have a tualeron 1000 working with a Gateway 440BX board no problems and a tualatin 1400 (modified by the famous Korean dude on Ebay) that works a real treat in an ASUS CUSL2-C. Tualatins should work fine with a CUSL2-C using a generic socket-t to 370 adapter if you have one already and that could be a cheaper option than a TUSL2-C.

okclock123 likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    JaC

JaC Member

Yeah it's a Via board. I think I've got at least one other slot 1 board somewhere, not sure if its intel or not.

Paid probably more than I should have for the TUSL2-C but it should be the easy way to get something working. Once I've got something working I can start to figure out whats dead and what's just incompatible.

Vanne and okclock123 like this.