Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. nin82

nin82 Member

The missus and I are in Japan now and about halfway through our trip. Have done Tokyo, Tateyama-Kurobe alpine route and Kyoto. Still in Kyoto waiting whilst the missus gets a maiko photo shoot done. Travelling to Osaka later today. Still have Hiroshima & Miyajima and Yokohama before going home.

Highlights so far are driving go-karts down the streets of Tokyo, Robot restaurant in Tokyo, snow on the alpine route, ninja restaurant in kyoto, suntory whisky tour in kyoto and 2nd hand shopping. Found a backpack and a g-shock watch cheap.

My tip for tokyo would be to get the 3-day subway pass from the airport for 1500 yen, there was a link on ozbargain not long ago.

Does anyone know of any other live themed shows in Osaka, Hiroshima or Yokohama?

2. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

3. crazy_johno

crazy_johno Member

Just did 6 days in Kyoto and 4 days in Tokyo.
    Every time I saw a Porsche in Tokyo I tried to see the driver.... Chainy ?? :p
    Don't expect to see a whale shark in Osaka aquarium as sadly they have died :upset:

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Just finsihing my trip and will be heading off today at 14:30 (3 hours bus to KIX then 5 hour bloody wait till plane) to then finally land at Brisbane at 17:30 tomorrow.

Last Friday was one of the highlights with a day trip visit to:
    Matsuyama Castle,
    Dogo Onsen, and finshing off the day at
    Asahi Brewery tour (the wife and inlaws weren`t drinking and feed me there beers and managed to get 7 down in the 30mins).

Will do some updates when on a "real PC" at home and not trying to kneel all scrunched over the inlaws laptop.

5. Wizardx8

Wizardx8 Member

Hey all, wifey and I are starting to think about a trip to Japan next year and I was however I am a little lost on where to even begin. Hoping to get some inspiration from all of the knowledgeable folks here.

At this stage we are looking at 10-12 days in April 2015. We will be traveling with my two boys, ages 9 and 13, so need to consider a family-friendly itinerary. We will be doing two or three days at Disneyland/sea but other than that I don't have much of an idea of what must-do activities we should be considering. We would want to do at least another few days in Tokyo, want to visit Hiroshima and I'd love to see some of the old feudal castles. I'd want to avoid spending significant amount of time traveling from place to place as my wife and kids would likely kill me. Other than this I have absolutely no idea. :lol:

Anyone able to throw some suggestions at me please?

Thanks!

6. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

7. frizzl

frizzl Member

That is sad! I managed to see them this time last year. Such a shame, the aquarium is quite an impressive place.

8. click__head

click__head Member

All accommodation booked for my trip!

Just need to organize my 14 day JR pass and sumo ticket.

04th-09th November
    Tokyo
    K’s House Tokyo (Hostel)
    http://kshouse.jp/tokyo-e/
    - Hakone (Mount Fuji)
    - Nikko

10th-11th November
    Takayama
    K’s House Takayama (Hostel)
    http://kshouse.jp/takayama-e/
    - Shirakawago

12th November
    Kanazawa
    Holiday Inn ANA Kanazawa Sky (Hotel)

13th-16th November
    Kyoto
    K’s House Kyoto (Hostel)
    https://www.kshouse.jp/kyoto-e/
    - Osaka (Universal Studios)
    - Nara

17th November
    Fukuoka (Sumo tournament)
    Hotel Centraza Hakata (Hotel)
    http://www.centraza.com/english/

18th November
    Hiroshima
    Hotel Parkside Hiroshima Peace Park (Hotel)
    http://www.park-side.co.jp/

19th November
    Miyajima
    Ryoso Kawaguchi (Ryokan)
    http://ryoso-kawaguchi.jp/E.index.htm

9. ReKleSS

ReKleSS Member

Apparently they're not dead, just temporarily relocated.

10. Boneman

Boneman Member

Any locals know the best way for me to receive money from Australia? My mum wants to send me some cash as a present, about $2500 AUD. I have a Mizuho account and a Shinsei account. I know she can go down to her local Commonwealth branch and do it, just wondering how much is lost along the way.

11. Copie

Copie Member

western union.

12. Boneman

Boneman Member

Ive never used WU before, but seems to be pretty safe if you both know each other from what Ive just been reading. Will see how it goes I guess. :thumbup:

13. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Bob,
    I am in Tokyo again this coming Monday morning to Wednesday afternoon......we still have a coffee-date outstanding.....I can bring it over for you, if your Mom can EFT to my account.....

Let me know. Only if you have time to meet up, otherwise I will spent it at Akihabara :lol:

Cheers,
    Beano

14. Boneman

Boneman Member

Hey Beano, sounds good! Next Wednesday will work, let me figure out my schedule then I will PM you tomorrow to confirm. :thumbup:

15. frenzal

frenzal Member

Sigh... Leaving japan tomorrow after 4 weeks of holidays. It's been loads of fun. Though the weather while the missus and I were on Zamami was less than ideal we still enjoyed our time there. Last time we came to Japan it was blossom season so was a very different experience.

I had a great time in Okayama, Hiroshima and Tokyo but was really disappointed with Okinawa/Naha. Public transport is limited to buses/monorail and so many tacky shops! Wouldn't recommend staying there for long.

Now to go and throw away all the figure boxes as I can't fit them in my luggage!!! :-(

16. Copie

Copie Member

When I used to work over the counter at post it was used pretty regularly, probably one of the most secure and fastest ways to send money internationally. Like literally you will get the money within 1-2min of it being sent

17. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Finally back home after 5 weeks there but I have to say the pollution has gotten worse since my last visit in Dec 2012. I could stare at the setting sun without any concerns about eye damage or even "strain". Out of the roughly 35 days we had 3 clear days (Hokkaido - Hakodate and Kushiro) and one other, another 10-12 days were overcast due to wet season but the rest just had this continuous and persistent haze that impaired views over any distance.

It was reported numerous times that China was a major player (there are many articles on this) and while I find this is mostly true everyone still has back yard incinerators which would also contribute. Many Australian councils banned this practice 20 years ago due to pollution and other risks.

18. W0MB13

W0MB13 Member

I was also wondering about this. I remember walking around Shibuya, and my friend said "Is it always this smoggy here?", but honestly I didn't notice anything... however when we went to Odaiba, the visibility was very bad when looking through the distance from the train. I was there only last year in August and it was very clear, nothing like what I saw recently. Not sure if this is something seasonal or if that was 100% pollution?

19. doodz

doodz Member

Takeshitadori in Harajuku is very meh imo. Unless you are a teenage emo girl, it's just a sea of people (tourists) and those nigerians trying to get you into the shops to buy the clothes.

20. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Cheers Bones, my schedule is firm, drop me your email via PM and I will forward my itinerary - I am flying in to Narita early <Monday morning and out again onward to Bangkok on early Wed evening...I will confirm my hotel tomorrow arvo late...

Cheers,
    Beano