Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. Hooti3

Hooti3 Member

Back to Japan in the beginning of April to hopefully catch some Cherry Blossom season before heading to Europe.

Won't know too much about what time the Cherry Blossoms with start, but going on last year, the end of March to Start of April around Tokyo was about accurate.

Fingers crossed.

2. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

The time is about right for Tokyo, end of March, beginning of April. But it can vary. Full bloom is only 1 week, and the period can vary for climate reason by 1 week.

3. mental_empathy

mental_empathy Member

Is it still possible use an ING direct card and withdraw cash from 7/11 , Japan post offices?

4. MorgzMods

MorgzMods Member

If it's a Visa compatible(?) card, 7/11 and the Japanese post office ATMs work.
    If you want something other than 10,000yen notes the post offices kick ass :thumbup:

Edit:
    I head up to Hakuba on the 10th of December to kick off my season. I think my work load will be pretty crazy. But if there's anybody that wants a conditions report before their trip post in here or PM and I'll post it in here

5. mental_empathy

mental_empathy Member

If you were to choose one city to stay in would it be better to stay in Osaka or Kyoto?
    I'v also searched for some Ryokans in Miyajima and came up with the following
    (IWASO). It looks nice, any opinions?

●SHINKAN-Momijidani valley side corner suite-
    The view: Mt.Misen
    Rate: 30,390JPY
    Toilet --YES *Private shower / bathtub --YES
    *SHINKAN means ‘Annex’ in Japanese which is not made by woods.

Here's an updated itinerary. Im thinking it's probably cheaper or equivalent to fly than to get a 7 day JR pass.
    EDIT:costs of flying are equivalent to the train. Ill probably end up flying.

24/12 WED: Arrive NRT 8PM. Overnight at Narita View hotel
    25/12 THU: Flight NRT to CTS in 6AM. Bus to Niseko. Arrive Noon (hopefully). Overnight Niseko.
    26/12: AM: Niseko Ski. Overnight niseko
    27/12: AM: Niseko Ski. Bus to Otaru @night. Overnight Otaru
    28/12: AM: AM: Explore Otaru/ daytrip somewhere? . Overnight Otaru
    29/12: AM: Otaru to Sapporo. Sapporo Day. Night flight CTS- HND (9PM land). Overnight Tokyo (roppongi). $100 flight
    30/12: Tokyo
    31/12: Tokyo
    1/12: Tokyo. Visit a shrine
    2/12:AM Tokyo. Afternoon flight HND - Hiroshima ($100) [should I get a morning flight instead to spend more time in Hiroshima?] . Have dinner and overnight in Hiroshima close to the Peace Park.
    3/12: AM Hiroshima. Leave for Miyajima in the afternoon . Overnight Miyajima (IWASO)
    4/12: AM Miyajima. Leave for Osaka before dinner. ($approx Shinkansen)
    5/12: Osaka AM Osaka PM. Overnight Osaka
    6/12: Kyoto day trip. Osaka night.
    7/12: Osaka AM. Osaka to KIX in the afternnon. KIX-NRT (90$ Jetstar). NRT - SYD

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  6. nostorm

nostorm Member

I'll be heading to Hakuba on the 19th - would definitely appreciate a conditions report. :thumbup:

7. coolroy

coolroy Member

If you prefer especially night time, glamour & glitz Osaka, if you prefer lots of natural beauty such as kinkaku-j paviliion & its beautiful gardens, the bamboo gardens,the interesting Nishiki markets along with the huge nearby outdoor covered shopping street...Kyoto

Lastly even try the shopping centres attached & below Kyoto main station & checkout the unusual waterfall feature, you will now it when you find it!!

8. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

Go to Hakuba instead, Niseko is Snow Bali.

Edit: Otaru is lovely though.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  9. Tinian

Tinian Member

I prefer Kyoto.

If you're only going to Hokkaido to ski a day or two at Niseko, just stay on Honshu. Otaru is nice, but it's best during the Lantern Festival in February. Same for Sapporo's Snow Festival tbh.

10. gmphoto

gmphoto Member

Hiroshima to Miyajima only takes about an 1.5 hours on the street car and ferry.

Pretty trip too.

11. gmphoto

gmphoto Member

12. mental_empathy

mental_empathy Member

I'm looking to stay at a ryokan overnight.

Hopefully I'll get to see hiroshima the night when I land (2.30pm) and overnight there. The next day I can see the peace park or Mazda museum, then depart to miyajima to spend the aftemoon and night there. I'll probably spend the next morning there too before I depart for osaka or himeji

How long does one need to spend at miyajima?

13. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

Not sure if anyone can help but do any Japan residents have some guidance on average salaries for salarymen in Tokyo? Say with 7 years experience in a fairly traditional large Japanese firm. There a lots of salary surveys but they don't focus on corporate and all the expat forums are full of eikaiwa folk who are not really comparable.

Seems like about 550000 yen gross per month?

There is an exchange program at work and I'm trying to work out how much it is worth pushing to stay on my Australian salary :)

14. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

I really enjoyed all the walks there, I think it is worth a full afternoon if you like some light hiking.

15. gmphoto

gmphoto Member

The peace park is well worth spending time. There is a very sobering museum only ruined for us by people of a certain nationality saying very audibly "The bombs are a LOT bigger now." Sigh.

There is also the Hiroshima National Peace Memorial Hall for the Atomic Bomb Victims.

Never went to the Mazda museum.

Miyajima? We spent an afternoon doing the tourist thing in the small village near the torii and the cable car. There is a very interesting unfinished temple which is a great exploration of the engineering that goes into these timber structures.

16. mtma

mtma Member

Kyoto over Osaka, if you're going to be visiting either for the first time. Tourism wise Kyoto is probably more of the Japan you are led to expect.

Osaka is hectic if you are self touring. However there is only about 40 minutes and 400 yen by train between the cities. You could do a daytime of selected sights in Osaka (e.g. USJ or around the city) from Kyoto. Just don't miss the last train back.

17. mental_empathy

mental_empathy Member

When I went to Osaka 3 years ago I enjoyed it more than Kyoto. I found that I got shrined out in Kyoto and preferred to just go and find places to eat in Osaka.
    I'm thinking this time Kyoto would be better off as a day trip

18. mtma

mtma Member

That being the case, you should probably go with your heart, but keep in mind Kobe, wakayama and Nara are all within day trip distance - you're not locked into Kyoto unless you really want to see it. Wakayama and Nara require some planning though as 'the best of' is a bit countryside in those areas.

19. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Wakayama. I haven't been there, but it seem to be a very popular destination to enjoy autumn foliage.

20. MorgzMods

MorgzMods Member

Woop Woop!

Happo-one in Hakuba is opening their higher section tomorrow. Town staff are pretty stoked.

More rain incoming, and some photos from me mid-next week