Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. munka

munka Member

Have to go to Fukuoka for a visa run. Any tips on what to do?

Thanks

2. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

I wouldnt train it all the way here from there.. How long for?

3. munka

munka Member

Probably 3 nights 4 days. Where is here Tokyo?

Problem is i don't have a passport on me as it will be at the embassy.

4. redslert

redslert Member

Can you go to the Fukuoka Aquarium and let me know if it is any good :)

5. Boneman

Boneman Member

Whats a 'Visa Run' ?

6. munka

munka Member

I live in Korea, but recently changed company. So I have to leave the country, get a new visa, and run back in. Dropped the passport and application in this morning. Get it on the 12th and then back home. That leaves this afternoon and the next 2 days to make the most of.

As for the aquarium idea, thank you, but my son is obsessed with aquariums and isn't here. I'd love to take him if he was, but I've been to 3 in the last few months! (Busan, Jeju and Aqwa in Perth)

7. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

But that's the same in Japan. You can't apply for a working visa from within Japan. Happened to me as well 20 years ago. After changing my company and the existing visa becoming invalid, I went to Bangkok to apply at the Japanese embassy for a new working visa.

8. munka

munka Member

Ok so today got my visa application in then just wandered along the beach area, given it was 2 degrees, it was a fairly lonely affair. Used the gym, then went to hard rock cafe to ensure that good work was useless. There isn't much in the way of good local food to eat around here sadly, I like Japanese food.

Tomorrow I have a teleconference for work in the morning, then I've booked a tour in the Asahi Brewery for 2:30pm, which will no doubt take up most of the afternoon. Next plan is to hunt down some Ramen noodles in a milky broth (what this area is famous for). The 12th itself I have a trip to the embassy to get my Visa, and then off to the Aussie embassy to get something notarised...

That leaves me with the 11th, which I now find out is a public holiday (UGH). There are some big underground shopping centers around I might track down, or go for a walk in the hills around here. Other than that, still looking for suggestions for that day :)

9. nostorm

nostorm Member

I stopped over at Fukuoka on my trip over there, and I have to say there's not a huge amount of things to do. I recommend the Tonkotsu Ramen, it's quite nice. Apart from that theres not a lot going on in Fukuoka.

10. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Skytree? Forecast is blue sky, could be perfect. Needs reservation though, Wednesday will be crowded.

Edit: No way :D I did not not realize your are in Fukuoka.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  11. munka

munka Member

Yep a 1 day trip to Tokyo to visit Skytree with the crowds it kind of out of the question! :)

Nostorm - Had some Ramen noodles today so that is that bucket list item tickets, doesn't mean I can't again.

Asahi Brewery was "ok" but when they gave us some beers at the end they sat us in the groups we booked with, and enforced that we sat there, my group of 1 was kinda lonely, and the other groups were completely Japanese or Korean speaking, but the tour guide gave some sympathy and stood with me for a while so I didn't drink alone. All in all not a bad way to kill an afternoon, but another english speaker sure would make it easier.

12. click__head

click__head Member

13. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

That's a good alternative, free of charge and less crowded. But again: A one day trip to Tokyo just for this does not make sense.

14. Drunkmunky

Drunkmunky Member

My girlfriend are now living in Fukuoka city for the next year or so. This is my third time in Fukuoka so I know my way around and have gone through the arduous tasks of getting a mobile, getting an apartment, registering my address with the council (fuck that was a chore), etc. But I don't actually know anyone here... Are there any Overclockers in the south end of Japan?

15. munka

munka Member

me, for the next 24 hours anyway!

16. Drunkmunky

Drunkmunky Member

Damn, when are you leaving?

17. munka

munka Member

7pm tomorrow if my Korean visa gets approved. Tomorrow is kinda busy anyway with a few embassy visits. Ill post here if my visa gets delayed.

18. Drunkmunky

Drunkmunky Member

I'm guessing the Visa wasn't delayed then? More beer for me :)

19. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Embassy in Fukuoka?

20. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

Cool, so this thread which i've seen for quite some time now has relevance - I got onto the Jetstar 2 for 1 deal and myself and GF are headed to Tokyo on the 8th of June.

Excited as I never saw myself going for any reason other than the snow.. but I have a mate who hopefully will be there still who speaks the language..