1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. Raraku

Raraku Member

A brief update - I am having a terrible terrible awful time.

[​IMG]

:D

The roads up to and around Hakone are a lot of fun, back to Tokyo to return this and then off to Osaka !

2. Plastik8

Plastik8 Member

Hey SCwerTA - that is a great find. Do you have an idea of the cost? I searched on Bic Camera website and found something which appears similar, for about 3800 yen. Does that sound right? Also, when purchasing, is there any special rig-moral you need to go through, or just buy and use?

http://www.biccamera.com/bicbic/jsp/w/catalog/detail.jsp?JAN_CODE=4545904001716

[Update:] Found an English product listing: http://www.biccamera.com/bicbic/jsp/w/catalog/detail.jsp?JAN_CODE=4545904001532 . Looks the goods! I had previously been spending about 600 yen / day hiring a SIM card, which is quite expensive after one month.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  3. click__head

click__head Member

Haha, whilst travelling by bus from Moto-Hakone to Hakone-Yumoto I could only imagine how much fun the twisties would be in a nice car!

4. Orphan

Orphan Member

Was that a rental? I wouldn't mind a little driving but anything remotely fun seems to be quite expensive. I think I saw an R35 for nearly $1k/day.

5. Raraku

Raraku Member

Yep a rental and very reasonably priced. All up it cost me $400 Aus for 48 hours rental. Pick up at midday on a Friday and return at midday on Sunday. Keep in mind the tolls add up a lot - probably another $70 added there.

The company was called omoren and I cannot recommend them enough - they were amazing.

6. Orphan

Orphan Member

The prices don't seem too bad, I would definitely take out an R34 for that money. Grab an IS-F and FD the following two days haha. Is there much around that area making it worth going for a drive? How do you pay for tolls, guessing a little toll unit that has credit?

7. Raraku

Raraku Member

It would be pretty boring to crack laps around Chiba all day - I drove to mt Fuji and hakone so I got some nice highway and some twisties

Tolls were cash - you can get an ETC card but I think you need a Japanese credit card - chainbolt can probably explain more but I always went for the "green" toll booth and either picked up a ticket or spoke to a person for my tolls. Then hit the gas on the way out! There were probably about 10 toll stops all up for me including the ticket pickup and payment ones.

I originally booked an r33 because it was a bit cheaper but it was written off 2 weeks before I arrived so I got upgraded. They have some amazing cars there.

8. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

The only way to pay cashless and get a small discount is with an ETC card. But such card is only issued by Japanese credit cards companies as add on to a regular credit card.

9. GreasyBear

GreasyBear Member

yes, cash is the way to go. The Tomei Expressway at almost $30 each way was a bit much. But so nice to drive though.

10. azn2k

azn2k Member

Going to Japan in October. Subscribed to this thread!

11. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

From where to where? Did you use the new "Shin-Tōmei Expressway" running parallel to the old Tomei Expressway between Nagoya and Fuji. That's really fun to drive, like Autobahn in Germany.

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

For a holiday or work or...?

13. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

For initial information have a look at the OP. Most interesting point for travelling around towards the end of October, beginning of November is viewing the autumn leaf season / colours. It's spectacular, for example around Kyoto. 70% of Japan is forest area.

14. GreasyBear

GreasyBear Member

I did Tokyo to the Gotemba Premium Outlets. I will keep the new road in mind for next time though. Also must hire something faster than a WagonR.

15. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

well, a Wagon R does the max allowed speed of 100km/h + the "allowed credit" of around 25 km/h. :leet:

16. Qtr_Mile_Stud

Qtr_Mile_Stud Member

ME too High5 !

17. click__head

click__head Member

I went there in early November last year. Definitely a great time to visit!

18. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Japan's maglev train breaks world speed record with 600km/h test run

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

20. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

The thing is their technology is just so far advanced in comparison to Australia that when traveling at 300KMh (in the current Shikansen) the ride is far more "comfortable and stable" than any Australian trains attempting to go at 1/3 the speeds. This was also noticeable in elevators and many other modes of transport.

This latest technology “magnetic levitation” will be even more comfortable again than any Australian train even when traveling at 500KMh.