1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. francis87

francis87 Member

Subscribed!

Im going to go in January,

Need to go to india for a wedding so will be flying

Syd - Sg - Ind - Sg - Jap - Sg - Syd

want go ski in japan i believe feb is the right time for it. will do 20 days in japan (is that enough??)

any one with experience flying from sg to jap, who did u fly with..
    booked syd to ind via sg with Singapore air with 4weekish transit on the return leg in sg.. ...

2. click__head

click__head Member

Which can be a little disappointing the first time you ride one because it doesn't feel like you're going fast at all!

3. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

I totally agree and it is not until you either:
    - look into the guards room and see the display panel,
    - note oncoming bullet trains going past, or best yet,
    - are on a platform when an express bullet train goes past, this is awesome and when you get a "true" indication of the speeds they are going at.

4. gmphoto

gmphoto Member

320KMh actually

[​IMG]

5. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Depends on which Shinkansen - just bought our 2 weeks Green JR Pass today......less than 2 months to go......

6. click__head

click__head Member

Let us know if the green pass is worth the extra coin.

7. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

It certainly was last year as we spent So many hours on the differing services....the best advice is to walk between the carriages - on any Shinkansen rides you take so you can view the difference, but there is an even higher class and it looked SOOO awesome:

Click to view full size!

The photo is crap but if you look at the hand console "alone" you can see 8-10 buttons to control the "aspects of the" chair - this is "above the green class", I assume it must be Platinum - but only on that specific Shinkansen:

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  8. mtma

mtma Member

'Granclass', only available on some lines.

9. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

True, you lose the feeling for speed after a while. It's the same when driving with a car at a race circuit. The difference is that the scenery when travelling in Japan by train is constantly changing, and for most parts lovely. For example the 400 km from Tokyo to Osaka go through mountains, you pass Mt. Fuji, several lakes, and there is a stretch along the ocean, it goes along rice paddies, and through many villages and towns. It's getting even more scenic if you go further south towards Hiroshima, Hakata, or Kagoshima. Tohoku is a bit boring though.

10. Raraku

Raraku Member

I'm back from Japan - just as awesome as I remembered it - wish I could work over there but unfortunately speak 0 Japanese.

I had a PM about the car hire place - it was these guys http://omoren.com/en/map.html - they're reasonably priced and they have an excellent range - a bit of a trip to get out there (three trains from Shinjuku) but it was well worth it.

This place was also awesome - https://plus.google.com/105149690234234069985/about?gl=au&hl=en Dublin Bay Irish Pub in Osaka - run by a guy called Shinji

Now back to the depressing life of $9+ beers and bland food and no service :(

11. W0MB13

W0MB13 Member

Do flight prices tend to increase on a somewhat predictable date cycle? I've got my eye on the ~$400 each way Sydney > Tokyo flights JAL have for August. Waiting on a friend, but thinking I should just grab mine now.

12. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

School holidays are "peek" times else you will get price variance relative to AUD or global oil prices.

13. GreasyBear

GreasyBear Member

JAL @ $960 return with 46kg of luggage is a sweet deal.

14. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Just back from a 1-week vacation at Amami Oshima.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amami_Ōshima

It's a sub-tropic island group located between Kyushu and Okinawa. Fantastic, excellent for diving, and zero tourists.

15. GreasyBear

GreasyBear Member

Sounds pretty good, do people not know about it? Or is Okinawa just really famous?

16. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

For some reason Okinawa is indeed much more "famous" and popular as tourist destination, in particular among foreigners. It has more beaches though and many more hotels. Maybe one reason is that Okinawa is from a cultural point somehow more interesting. It was until 1879 a formally independent Kingdom with quite a different culture from Japan, and some strong influence from China. Amami Oshima and the smaller islands around it became already in the 16th century part of Japan. They also have their own traditions, but appear much more "Japanese".

17. W0MB13

W0MB13 Member

Booked everything today. Unfortunately my friend is going to have to do his stuff separately at this point which is a bit of a bummer.

Ended up with a smoking room at Remm Shin-Osaka as the dates I wanted for non-smoking were not all vacant.

Anyone have any experience with smoking rooms? I've been on a smoking car in the shinkansen before. Not particularly sensitive to the smell or anything like that, I guess I'm just curious what to expect. :lol:

18. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

You never know of course. But in general you don't need to worry about the "hygienic quality" of even cheap Japanese hotel rooms.

19. breech

breech Member

It's a non issue. the rooms are very well enclosed with tons of ventilation and auto doors. they are inside another compartment between carriages that has toilets and luggage storage and another set of auto doors.

line up 10 minutes early and sit at the opposite end of the carriage if concerned.

20. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Smoking room - just do one quick circuit of any "Pachinko" parlor and you will have passive smoked about 20 cigarettes.......