1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

No immediate threat obviously, but I think with incidences like they have had, there needs to be research into the effects, and also future effects for the population. perhaps it will be nothing, but it's certainly not safe to just assume nothing will come of it : )

2. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Oh yes certainly there'll be aftermath. Infact the way they've dealt with it is very admirable. Very systematic and not just cowboy about and stick their heads in sand pretending there's no problem.

The ones that tell people the radiated waters flowing from fukushima is going to contaminate the entire world' oceans... now that's just rubbish. Had she said that to me in person i would've slapped her.

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Oh absolutely, rubbish like that can just be instantly dismissed.

4. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

That's even minor. Again, see what somebody posted in the C/E thread: Tokyo "uninhabitable" and contaminated more than Chernobyl. Not in 2011, the article was linked a few weeks ago.

Read by yourself:

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=16641643&postcount=4543

Somebody posted this in April 2015. Such a steaming pile of bullshit you read rarely, even by social media standards. It's close "flat earth", and "alien shape shifter" stories.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  5. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I can't believe there's someone that naive/stupid... i bet it's just a forum troll stirring you guys up.

Mr Chilled is trolling??:confused:

6. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Yep, it's a bit strange.

Actually, I was in Tokyo when Fukushima happened, and I was really scared, because for a couple of days the worst case scenario (breach of the reactor containment vessels like in Chernobyl) was a real possibility. Luckily they could prevent at "last minute" by venting and restoring cooling. In Tokyo only for 2 or 3 days contamination values stayed above the Japanese standards, which are anyway more stringent than in other countries, and that was only for water, and only for water for small children. The wind had changed from north east, to south west, and brought some particles into the water reservoirs located between Tokyo and Fukushima. By international standards there would have no alert.

For those who are visiting: Air, water, and soil radiation is daily measured at various points of the metropolitan area, not only by public health authorities but also private universities and research facilities. The air, water, and soil radiation in Tokyo is at the same level (or even lower) than in Paris, London, or Beijing.

Daily update (in English) here: http://monitoring.tokyo-eiken.go.jp/en/

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I think there may be legitimate concerns posed by this doctor for the health of residents ongoing. In years to comes it's possible there may be ramifications from the disaster. The title is obviously over the top but it's about the observations themselves.

8. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

It's true long terms effect is still unknown. But the sensationalized title just made me ignore it completely as we know it's not true. And if you want any credibility to your publication, sensationalizing title like this only makes them look like scare mongering media.

Then again, what else can they do? Evacuate the entire country? Shoot anyone that was in the contaminated zone? Quarantine everyone? Really there's not much they can do except to continue living their lives as they are. I'm sure the government is doing all they can to contain it as it is. So articles that just goes about scaring people into something they have absolutely no control over is kinda pointless. If you go live in tokyo, there's very little chance of you being contaminated by radiation and that's the truth. Otherwise if the radiation is really that strong, I'm sure they'll be lots of tourists feeling sick already. Long term wise, you're probably just as likely to die from being hit by a truck.

9. mtma

mtma Member

In Japan you are far more likely to suffer from heat stroke in facilities where air conditioning has been reduced in an inappropriate manner after the disaster.

10. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Depends I would say. Before they started to reduce power consumption, they wasted by keeping A/C in summer running full speed. In a usual Japanese company office you almost needed a winter coat. At the beginning of each years A/C season I regularly got a heavy cold.

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Not really much that can be done, but at least if there is an actual issue then the people can be made aware of it.

Well that I'm not entirely sure is true. As with the actual incident and subsequent coverups of how bad the situation actually was, I couldn't be positive that they are not hiding things now. There are people out there who live there that are thinking along similar lines.

12. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Let's not discuss this further, it's just too stupid. Anybody even remotely familiar with the situation knows that the claim that Tokyo is that much contaminated by radiation that it is "uninhabitable" and even "more contaminated than Chernobyl" was and is utter nonsense. It's just another example how social media spread absurdity. Only idiots or trolls (or a combination of them :D) would seriously discuss this.

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

It's not really about issues now but what might occur in later years. Also I don't think it's about scaring people but just making people aware there may indeed be issues as the problem might be bigger than first thought. Awareness rather than scaremongering. Everything comes out in the end anyways. And let us hope there are no serious issues for the country in decades to come.

14. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Exactly, but that's another question.

15. cam99

cam99 Member

The Sapporo Brewery. You get a tasting with the tour it's a bus trip from the station they have a lot of beers you don't see outside of the factory. One with a live culture.

The main shopping are is under the street to stay out of the weather when I was there the signs said "pole town" just a big mall but it's warm and I could walk all the way from my hotel to the train station

16. mtma

mtma Member

The issue is simply that the old facilities are inadequately designed from the start. One of the reason why offices would be set to extremely frigid would have been pockets where even when the AC is going mad it is only lukewarm. Now they may try to save energy by setting AC to 26 to 28 degrees, but now these areas that were lukewarm are either hot due to energy ingress (e.g uncoated windows) or too humid for the temperature (lack of ventilation). You will often come across these areas in some shops, sometimes in thoroughfare areas etc.

All I will say for tourists is not to underestimate the Japanese summer. Just because others around you might be wearing long pants and a jumper in summer and don't care doesn't mean you shouldn't go get water or think about moving onto somewhere cooler/drier if you're feeling uncomfortable.

17. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

True about the building quality of some older buildings. But honestly, I think in winter it's even worse.

Also true, the humidity in western and central Japan from June to August can be really extreme.

18. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

The critical point here is the individual's acclimatisation, that is someone from Tasmania (Temperate zone) that has grown up all their lives in this very low humidity environment will have starkly different reactions compared to someone who has grown up in a Tropical zone.

19. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

And the individual metabolism. Since my time in the military I know that I can stand heat w/o problems, but I am soon losing strength when it is getting cold. I observed from comrades that for some of them it is exactly the other way around.

20. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

I'm from Melbourne and I felt like I had a fever when I was in a workshop in our Japanese office building. The Europeans looked like they were going to die.

Also amusing to see a 20 megawatt data centre site with some of the lights in the hallway dimmed to 'save power'. Appearances matter though :)

Last edited: May 18, 2015