1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. GreasyBear

GreasyBear Member

Just came back from a week staying in Higashi-Shibuya, highly recommended area. 10min to Shibuya, Ebisu, Daikanyama, ~Omotesando. The area allows you to experience urban Tokyo without all the noise pollution.

Heaps of trendy cafes and hipster joints if you're into that stuff.

2. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I very much agree! See my comment/recommendation above.

3. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Excellent, cheers guys. I'm personally not at all into the hipster scene, but I'm also not a hipster hater and recognise places like that are good place to find urban culture and meet some interesting people. :thumbup:

4. GreasyBear

GreasyBear Member

Ahh I missed that comment.

I thought you were living in Tsukishima?

5. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Harumi (next to Tsukishima) now, but before that I was living for more than 10 years in Nakameguro..

6. francis87

francis87 Member

Hey Guys,
    Have some questions about JR passes, specially if i should buy a 21 days pass or segmented passes, OR if i should get Green or ordinary.. from my readings it looks like Green would is good for longs trips? Here is my going abouts

JAN 27 - 28 Tokyo
    JAN 29 Tokyo to Nagano
    JAN 30-31 Nagano
    FEB 1 Nagano to Kyoto
    FEB 2 Kyoto
    FEB 3 Kyoto to Osaka
    FEB 4 Kyoto to Osaka
    FEB 5 Kyoto to Nara
    FEB 6 Kyoto to Hiroshima
    FEB 7 Kyoto to Tokyo
    FEB 8 Tokyo Bus to FujiKyu
    FEB 9 Tokyo to Nikko
    FEB 10 Tokyo to Odaiba
    FEB 11-15 Tokyo (site seeing around Tokyo)

Any help much appreciated !!!

7. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I cannot really comment on the type of pass, but my feeling is with a 21 day pass you are more flexible. For green: You don't need it unless you are some 200 cm guy who needs the additional legroom. The time you travel isn't vacation time in Japan, trains shouldn't be too crowded, except Sunday afternoon/evening.

8. minime88

minime88 Member

Regarding size, Even then, in the couple of shinkansens I have been on its still like 30cm to the chair in front from the end of my knees. It's very easy to book reserved seating on a pass as well and doesn't cost anything. So even if it is busy you aren't crowded. I should be on another in a couple of days, I'll snap a photo if you'd like Francis?

9. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Price difference for the Green Pass?

Have done the JR Pass twice and for the extra ~$200 for 14 days the Green Pass was well worth it for us and there is a significant difference - seats are a lot more comfy - service is nicer and when you do a cost breakdown the $15-20 per day for a 14 day pass is well worth it IMHO if your spending 2-3 hours on the trains.

After our first JR Pass and walking through the different class carriages it really became a no-brainer - just spewing I never got to try the Gran Class (only avail on 1-2 shinkansen).

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  10. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Actually if the difference is only 200$ for 14 days, I would go for green. I did not know that 14 days for green is only AUD $731. That's really an unbelievable bargain.

For regular customers a Tokyo-Osaka return ticket in green car is already around 400 AUD.

11. francis87

francis87 Member

@ minime88, a photo would be great

Hey Thanks for the info guys, its a $250ish difference for 21 days.. which becomes $500 for the two of us... which i rather put in to a nicer accommodation, if its just a case of comfier seats..

Any 1 ever look into buses from Tokyo to FujiQ.. i need to get on them roller coasters

12. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Basically "green" comes down to the more comfortable seats and the bigger legroom. It makes sense if you are travelling really a lot with Shinkansen during these 14 days, otherwise not. I have been occasionally travelling between Tokyo and Osaka, it's around 3 hours. I never used it.

13. mtma

mtma Member

I have only used it when I've had to change my ticket times but the regular cars were fully reserved in the time slot.

If I were to make a comparison to air travel, the regular Shinkansen seats are premium economy size, and Green class is just even larger than premium economy. There are no other notable differences really, the quietness of the cabin, quality of associated services are about the same. You get some complimentary stuff in Green but it doesn't make up for the upgrade fee (for regular tickets) by itself.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  14. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

I'd find the $500 and have both ;)

https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/common-questions/advantages-green-japan-rail-pass

At least you don't have to worry about the smoking carriages anymore in any of the classes - gag time extreme.

15. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Last year I climbed Mt. Fuji and after that we went to the amusement park. That's really something if you like roller coaster. :D I went by car there. The buses to Fuji Q leave at Shinjuku station.

https://www.fujiq.jp/en/qpack/

Round ticket seems to be around 6,000 JPY, and as usual in Japan you need a reservation.

16. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

I did the same thing, so did you bullet climb over night?

For places like Fuji which isn't far away, you can catch a train somewhere like Yokohama then hire a car at an hourly rate (12 or 24 hours could be enough) for not much money (like $60-$70 for a little Toyota) which can be a bit of fun. It's a nice area to drive around and quite easy, and you get little added benefits, like the road toward Mt Fuji that plays the music!!

17. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Yes, I arrived at around 10 pm. Went up in around 4 hours - arrived at a little after 2 am. Too fast and a very big mistake, because when we arrived at the peak, overtaking basically everybody on the way up, we were soaked in sweat. Despite advice to to so, we did not have new stuff to change with us. And then we had to wait for 2 hours in almost freezing temperature for the sun rise. The waiting time at this temperature in wet clothes was horrible. I thought I have to die.

But the sunrise is something you won't forget:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  18. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Great photo, we did the same thing except instead of sweat it was rain, and because we were leaving the next day we did it the day before the mountain opened (so none of the stations were open).

Absolutely worth it though.

19. enzo_450

enzo_450 Member

Got back on Saturday, we had a great time :thumbup:

Nice being a head taller than everyone on the subway. Train system is great, with the help of the Hyperdia app we didn't have any trouble.

Not sure if I have a favourite place. Mt Takeo was great. Universal Studios was good, no point going without a skip the line pass. Memorials and museum at Hiroshima were something else.

Missus is the photographer. Sorry for the giant size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Very nice pictures. It seems you got the right time to watch the "autumn colors".