1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. swatson

swatson Member

yer its funny there are HUGE signs and audio warning to take sufficient gear (layers, shoes, etc...), my wife and I also ignored them, got the the top and froze given i had a thermal top on, a hoodie, jeans, street shoes, she had similar stuff. Sun rise is great and its very odd doing a decent activity with so many other people around, very happy we did it.

2. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Climbing Mt. Fuji and watching the sunrise is for sure something you won't forget for the rest of your life.

3. enzo_450

enzo_450 Member

:) Was great.

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Lovely shots Enzo :thumbup:

5. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Tokyo retains gourmet crown in global Michelin rankings

I have been to #2 Esaki in Aoyama, reasonable prices for such a 5 star restaurant. A kaiseki style lunch course with 4 servings, desert and coffee is around 60 AUD. Very recommended for somebody interested in high end Japanese cuisine and does not want to spent a fortune for the experience.

http://www.aoyamaesaki.net/menu.html

#12 Yoshitake (Sushi) is just around the corner for me, at Ginza, I know it only from outside. Dinner courses start at 250 AUD. :weirdo:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  6. coolroy

coolroy Member

Many thanks for your detailed & helpful posts here.

Will see if I can get a chance to try Esaki in Aoyama as per your suggestion on my next trip in February, as the pricing is very reasonable for such an experience.

7. skazclaw

skazclaw Member

Beautiful pics.

8. mrthong

mrthong Member

Just double checking, I don't need to apply for visa If I'm staying in Japan for less than 90 days and just sightseeing with an Australian passport?

9. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

correct.

:)

10. GreasyBear

GreasyBear Member

Booked flights with ANA for Feb (~$929). Hopefully their planes stack up better than JAL's. JAL is fine with the Dreamliners, but when they're in "Off-Peak Dreamliner" season the planes are too cramp.

11. mtma

mtma Member

The 3-3-3 spacing on the dreamliner isn't good for crampedness if the cabin is fully filled. Although my experience was probably worsened by flying United.

JAL runs all 2-4-2 though - wonder which arrangement ANA fly into Australia.

12. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Just a warning: All Nippon Airways 787 have fixed shell seats. The economy class seats do not decline. When I realized the seat did not recline, I initially thought the mechanism of my seat did not work. It's horrible for any longer flight. I can only warn. I will never book ANA Dreamliner Economy class again. It might be ok for smaller build Japanese/east Asian customers, but not for standard western size.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  13. Renza

Renza Member

Have a trip booked to Hakuba for jan/feb. Anyone hired a car there? Will be needing racks for skis so I assume the normal car rental places are out. Found a few on google, but want to see if anyone has experience in Hakuba before we book cars.

As for sim cards, I found these Yokoso sims on eBay. Good value compared to all other offerings I could find:

• 8 days/3gb $35
    • 15 days/3.5gb $40
    • 31 days/4gb $45
    • 91 days/5gb $55

On DoCoMo with 4G. Shaped to 256k after quota is exhausted.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191745417640

14. GreasyBear

GreasyBear Member

Normal rental places in those "skiing" areas can provide racks as optional extra (Be sure to confirm this before booking).

If you need unlimited data use Travelsim Direct. I used them on my last trip and ate through around 10gb in the week I was there, again this depends on how much you plan to use there.

15. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

last time i went to Japan in 2005, no one spoke english....is that the case still?

16. gmphoto

gmphoto Member

If you have no criminal record. :Paranoid: :Paranoid:

17. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I was there at the beginning of the year and it's still very much the case. However most restaurant has an English menu of some sort or they will attempt to use phone app to translate. They are very accommodating I find.

18. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

ok good to know: last time it was kinda frustrating really and hoping this time it will be less so.

19. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

These days everyone has a smart phone, just take yours out and pull up some translation app if you absolutely have to.

20. LayZ

LayZ Member

Came here looking for SIM card deals. I am going for 3 weeks and will use approx 1.5GB, anyone know of any good deals?

Our AirBNB place has pocket wifi so perhaps IO will need even less data...