1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. miicah

miicah Member

I really need to stop reading this thread, makes me depressed. Poor financial planning means a ton of cc debt, means no Japan until we get that sorted :(

2. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Most are completely clueless about traveling and do things like standing in the middle of walkways and I am like "keep moving you idiot"

3. Stonewall

Stonewall Member

Wow I am going to China next week it is hardly inspiring to hear all these complaints about mainland Chinese. Though do have a Japan trip to look forward to later in the year.

4. coolroy

coolroy Member

Even in Hong Kong the Chinese locals complain about the mainlanders behaviour :eek:

Stick to Japan if you can :D

5. Stonewall

Stonewall Member

Work trip to hk and across the border. So not much choice both are work trips this time.

It's not generating much excitement here :)

6. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

That's true too because HK has better facilities than in the mainland and the HK locals complain about them taking all the hospital beds to have their babies. Plus it was the mainlanders that started the whole buying of the baby milk formula thing to where they started to do the same thing in Australia to where there's purchasing limits.

Culturally HK is totally different to the mainland this is due to in part that HK was a British colony for a long time. As a result you have the occupy central protest in 2014 which was about the locals not being able to pick candidates for government elections but have to go through the chinese government to be vetted. If cos had their way it would collapse the entire HK economy and it would lose its status a being the financial gateway into Asia for Western companies s they would be bailing out.

7. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

8. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Trying to find some attack on Titan knick knacks

9. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

I got a private message from a member asking for some travel advice around a specific region, northern Honshu (they noted I had been there but no-one else had discussed it).

I asked them to post the query in this thread in case anyone might benefit from it and they said they would but must have forgotten.

Here it is:
    Shaetano;
    My response:
    22: Hirosaki - we arrived at dusk and dropped the bags at hotel and had dinner, woke early in the morning and raced to the Castle and it's grounds for about an hour power walk, then raced back for our next train - it is worth the visit - http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3701.html - and we got some great pics.
    23: Morioka - I don't recall to much (thus not overly memorable) excepting the Wanko Soba - http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5050.html
    24: Sendai - I don't recall to much (thus not overly memorable) but we headed out to Yamadera temple tiring with all the climbing but awesome place - http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7940.html

Utsunomiya - Utsunomiya Minmin - good for Gyoza

We also traveled down the western coast line catching a slow sight-seeing train. From Hirosaki to Akita with the "A Tsugaru-style shamisen performance":
    http://www.japan-guide.com/tour/2015/e/north/day8.html

Then caught the train over to Morioka.

Kakunodate - is definitely worth a visit between Akita and Morioka!
    https://www.google.com.au/maps/place...32d067e1dde801

Click to view full size!

--------------------------------------
    In Hoikkaido (their Sakura season comes later than Honshu):
    - Hakodate is awesome, (night view from Mountain and the Fort plus many of the old "western style" buildings are good and the seafood is to die for),
    - Asahiyama Zoo is really awesome, and
    - Utoro (World Heritage area)
    those places would keep you very busy and you would see some awesome things.

Kushiro is crap and just an industralised hole and "just keep on traveling through" or go to it's Airport.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  10. Shaetano

Shaetano Member

Thanks Bold Eagle!

We land in Narita on the 20th for 2 weeks so I've just been trying to work out the maximum amount of cherry blossoms for my partner to see and the Sakura guide has been updated recently so it means northen Japan....however my other problem is that she wants to see the usual tourist places Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima/Miyajima. She has been to Tokyo so I was thinking;

20/4 - Fly in afternoon, catch the Narita Express to Tokyo, stay the night
    21/4 - Shinkansen down to Kyoto
    22/4 - Kyoto
    23/4 - Kyoto / Osaka day trip
    25/4 - Hiroshima
    26/4 - Hiroshima / Miyajima
    27/4 to 4/5 - (still working this out)
    1) Japan Explorer Pass to go Hiroshima -> Tokyo -> Sendai. Do a day trip out to Yamadera (so this might be 2 days)
    2) Shinkansen to Kakunodate. From here go to Akita
    3) Akita take the Resort Shirakami to Hirosaki
    4) After seeing Hirosaki go up to Aomori/Shin-Aomori for a shinkansen up to Hakodate and travel to Sapporo. From Sapporo catch a flight down to Narita and home.....

Has anyone done the Resort Shirakami? timetables seem difficult to work out :)

11. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I am just putting together a travel itinerary for a friend vising Japan from 22 March to 5 April. One major idea was travelling to Hiroshima and Kyoto at the peak of Sakura. I found it very difficult to book reasonable priced rooms during this time, in particular in Kyoto.

12. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Hiroshima is all about the ww2 bombing mostly. It feels like they left out a lot of the reasons as to why it was bombed mainly to force the Japanese to surrender, show the might of the military giant that is the US and retribution for the Japanese attack on pearl Harbor... That's just me.

Miyajima Island is ok. The ferry ride is about 10 minutes and is very walkable. There's a lot of deer running around as soon as you get off the ferry and they'll try to scope you out for food, so keep any passes you have away from them.

Yokohama has a museum dedicated to the invention of instant noodles. Plus you can make your own custom flavor of cup noodles. It's well under ¥1000 for admission and to make your own cup noodles.

I find other places like Beppu to be boring as I dislike the hot springs resort life. Plus they also block people with tattoos from entering the hot springs so i just resort to exploring Beppu and there's bugger all to see.

The ninjas style of shoes do look cool though. May see if a pair can be had.

13. Shaetano

Shaetano Member

Yes, being late April I hope accomodation isn't too bad as the season would be over in those regions. If all else fails I will try Airbnb.

I'm not too fussed on Hiroshima (I've seen it before and apart from the war memorial we couldn't work out what else to do haha). Really enjoyed Miyajima though so I'll see if we can compress this or something but I remember needing a full day at Miyajima if you planned on climbing the mountain etc.)

14. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Hiroshima has a tourist loop bus. They also have a place called okonomi-mura which is like two floors where you can eat okonomiyaki from different vendors. Some of them have English menus.

15. miicah

miicah Member

Half day is all I needed in Hiroshima. Bit depressing, but something you need to do.

Instead of staying the whole day in Hiroshima, look into Iwaso; it's a Ryokan on Miyajima Island. We stayed there for a night and it was amazing. Certainly close to the best experience I had going to Japan.

16. GreasyBear

GreasyBear Member

Kanamara Matsuri is on April 3 if anyone is keen.

17. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I also found it depressing, very depressing. When I stood in front of the iconic burnt out "dome" (I think it was a hospital), I had a lot of "dark" thoughts.

18. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I'm in Osaka at the moment and will probably spend my only full day at Universal studios Japan.

After this I'm heading back to HK to dump of my souvenirs and head of to south Korea for five days.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  19. mrthong

mrthong Member

Attack on Titan galore!!!!!

20. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Man universal studios Japan had pretty much all the parts to do a full attack on titan cosplay. They had capes, jackets, and the 3d maneuver gear straps. Pretty much every Japanese teen was wearing the green survey corps cape or the jacket. The only bits missing is the pants, boots, and undershirt.

I wanted to grab the cape but it was ¥6500 and I didn't have enough to grab it plus 2 Harry Potter wands which were ¥3800 each so I got the wands instead [emoji14]

I did manage to get into the Harry potter land thing and it's pretty cool. I tried the butterbeer that was mentioned in the books and movies and it's pretty much a soda spider aka flavoured soda drink with a vanilla ice cream "head". It tasted ok but I think it could do without the ice cream.