Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Good Lord.

Last week I visited Korea, they served beer with honey. What do these people think? :D

2. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

The better question is why is there non alcoholic beer in Japan? That's something that you wouldn't see in Australia for sure.

3. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Many Asian suffer from Alcohol flush reaction and thus the Zero Alcohol may give them an option to "participate" without going the "full Lobster" (like my wife does).

But in Australia who the hell would drink that crap, I tried almost every Asahi whilst I was over there excepting their "Zero" line (Strong was one of my favorites) - it's like "Claytons" only pretentious wankers would even drink it.

Light beer gets a poor running over here as it is.

4. kelthegeek

kelthegeek Member

Coopers do a non alcoholic beer..

5. Boneman

Boneman Member

Drink-driving laws in Japan are pretty brutal too, so people can still join in with the drinking at a party but wont go to jail if they get caught.

6. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Does it sell?

Anyway the back to the future ride is a bit dumb cos the story asks for audience participation but the story resolves itself without audience interaction. So having a story doesn't make sense in the case of how the ride is mechanically designed and functions.

I don't get much loot when I travel so i only got:

Attack on titan PS4 game
    Yakuza kiwami ps4 game
    10-16 attack on keyrings and figurines
    A plush totoro from the Ghibli museum
    2 Japanese style spoons
    A harry Potter beer mug
    A harry Potter wand
    Dumbledore's wand

7. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

Without wanting to beat a dead horse, a video was taken of chinese tourists at a seafood buffet in Thailand :

8. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Not to jail, but your licence gets automatically suspended for at least 4 weeks - unless you join a 1 day safety seminar. And in case you are involved in an accident while DUI, you are by default guilty.

Really? Even in Germany you have quite a few offers for non alcoholic beer. Given that Australia is one of the world's leading nations for alcohol abuse, I would not take Australian alcohol habits as benchmark. :p :D

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  9. coolroy

coolroy Member

Unfortunately the video you have posted did not surprise me:shock:

Mainland Chinese tourists that I have come across in the last couple of years found visiting Hong Kong,Singapore,Japan have behaved very poorly (I am trying to be polite here).

Japan is my favourite overseas destination & will remain so irrespective of the increasing number of Chinese tourists.

It may mean I have to take my wife to less popular known tourist areas of Japan to avoid the issues faced on my most recent visit this year.

Thinking of basing my next trip in Kyoto as it has been awhile since our last stay here.:D

10. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

Hey guys, anyone recommend any specific scenic areas with bicycle hire nearby? I'd like to spend just one day exploring some countryside, snapping some pics. Maybe with a nice town nearby. Broad question but I'd like to get some leads please.

11. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Man, it's like they have never been out of the country like EVER. even though I am ethnically Chinese I also find this quite disappointing and I don't want to associate myself with these savages...that's why i prefer to travel either alone or with my white friends :p

You might try Beppu if you're into the hot springs.

The funny thing about Kyoto is that I saw a lot of westerners walking around the streets in rented kimonos. There's a weird cultural disconnect that I find makes it funny to see even though I am not Japanese.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  12. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Really need more info like which island at least and general area you might want to be in.

Hiring bikes in Japan is a lot more common than in Australia and is available at a lot of the tourists locations:
    http://www.att-japan.net/en/culture/guide/EC000080

For example riding around Nikko would be awesome:
    http://spacestation.earth/bikes/
    http://www.exploringtokyo.com/menu-nikko.php

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  13. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I agree. I always find it strange seeing westerners in kimonos.

14. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

If done right though it can look totally hot and sexy in my opinion but for the most part i just laugh on the inside and go "what the fuck?". Kimonos are pretty and cute but not hot and sexy since it is not designed to accentuate the body shape.

Like if you got your woman into one of those chinese one piece body hugging dresses that would work better. I've seen a few white chicks in them and they look great because of the form fit.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  15. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

Yeah all I know at this stage is that I'll be landing in Tokyo 9 Sep and flying out 23rd. Rest needs to be filled in haha.
    This looks amazing though, thank you so much!

16. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

Hey guys. We're putting together an itinerary (Tokyo > Gunma > Tokyo to drop car > Kyoto (and Nara) > Tokyo) but have a few questions!

- We plan on hiring a car to drive to SPACE riverhouse (for a day or two of bicycle touring) and then to Gunma to visit a Ryokan/Onsen (Takaragawa Onsen Ousenkaku). Any tips/tricks/things to note about hiring a car in Tokyo and driving in Japan? Also recommended places to stay/eat in the area.

- We're planning on catching a train from Tokyo to Kyoto. Is there one main line and we have to take that one? Will tickets that work for Tokyo also work to get us to Kyoto and within Kyoto?

- Favourite methods of transport in Kyoto? Walking/bicycle/train?

- Favourite eateries of any type/description in Kyoto?

17. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Tokyo to Kyoto is 450+KM so the bullet train is the best way to get there.
    https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Show...9709-r140085234-Tokaido_Shinkansen-Japan.html

The second post in this thread also discusses options:
    https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Show...to_by_train-Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html
    but 7 hours overnight on a bus to get to Kyoto exhausted from lack of sleep can really spoil a day's sightseeing and make it to easy to lose interest.

Getting around Kyoto we would catch the local bus to the main tourist zones and then walk.

Ironically a Japanese family member took us to an fancy Italian restaurant at Kyoto station (buffet) and it was very good.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  18. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Waling Tokyo to Kyoto is not the best thing to do LOL

19. BluBoy

BluBoy Member

Has anyone gone to the 'Tokyo Islands' (Izu-shotō) and want to share their experience?

I'm thinking about taking a few days break from Tokyo and heading to Izu Ōshima or Kozushima for a beach holiday during my summer trip (August).

I want to make use of my JR East-South Hokkaido Rail Pass to get there. Atami, Ito or Shimoda appear to be the closest ports to take the jet ferry. Although I'm struggling to read the timetable.

20. mtma

mtma Member

The ferries you're looking at appear to be run by Tokai Kisen and they happen to have an English page.

EDIT- also, the published English timetable only seems to get to reach April, so I'm guessing they change it by seasonal demand.

ED2- Ah there's another one that reaches June, looking at the Japanese page. Not that it helps. It seems that for now you'll have to assume one early morning service and one early afternoon service departing to Kozushima.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016