1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

My Japanese wife states that if it is only 1-2 children with a parent then it is free but if it is more than two per adult (under 6) then you have to start paying - that is for JR Pass. That is the same for Keisei.

If the child was by themselves they would need a ticket.

So 2 kids per adult under 6 is free - more than 2 and you start paying.

2. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

sweet. thanks!

also... should i be bringing lots of cash or does everyone take CC over there now?

3. Boneman

Boneman Member

Just walk them through the ticket gate with you if they are under 6, but technically they cant sit in reserved seats without a ticket.

Cash is easiest and most convenient in my experience.

4. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

I'd take 1/2 and 1/2 - depends how much cash your are talking about, where you are traveling to, etc. you need the CC as back up. I would keep 1-2K cash at least and there are options for ATM's over there for topping up. Japan is a very safe country IMHO but if you flash wads of cash around you can make yourself a target so always be discrete with any large amounts.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  5. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

If you got a room with a safe it's probably a good idea to use that.

6. mrthong

mrthong Member

whats Japan like in September? Mate and myself booked cheap tickets. We're planning to start from Tokyo and work our way down to Osaka. I have read that tis still hot and humid, but rainy and typhoon season?

7. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

booked during the jetstar sale?

8. Boneman

Boneman Member

Rainy season is starting right now, usually lasts until the middle of July. Big typhoons start hitting after rainy season ends for a couple of months or so, but usually September has a lot of rain and may be a little gloomy.

9. mrthong

mrthong Member

JAL sale on oz bargain :lol: $700 return

cheers mate, was deciding on the proper attire to bring, read that its still T-shirt season but might bring a jacket with me?

10. Boneman

Boneman Member

Maybe a light jacket at the most, but its still mostly gonna be hot and humid if theres no typhoon overhead.

11. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i better keep practising japanese for next time i go to japan :p

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Sales to japan sort of come up a bit more often on OzB in the last year, some of the prices are amazing.

13. skymist

skymist Member

Booked MEL-NRT-MEL for cup weekend in business on points. Guess I'll leave the wife home :D

NFI what I'm going to do yet.. accommodation isn't cheap, capsule hotel it is!

14. Sciby

Sciby How long have you had these droids?

It's still warm at that stage, but starting to cool a bit. Humid, but won't be as bad as... well, as right now. May-July are wretchedly humid (mushi atsui if you want to complain about it to the locals there), still a chance of typhoons but it really only affects flights. They seem to be less intense than the cyclones we get here in Aus. (Disclaimer: not a weather guy)

15. zerosoma

zerosoma Member

I wouldn't take a jacket for September, I did last year mid-September and it was a waste of time. Take plenty of t-shirts and shorts, and before long you will be fanning your face with a Hello Kitty fan and not giving one hoot. Plenty of shirts are good. Think of shoulder season Gold Coast weather, maybe even more humid. Didn't even cool down much at night.

16. zerosoma

zerosoma Member

also - user airbnb if you want cheap + good. they are great in japan and some will even give you free pocket wifi.

17. mtw

mtw Member

I'm going to be in Tokyo for a few days early Feb (probably 1st to 5th) and trying to decide where to stay in Tokyo. I've stayed in Shinjuku previously and found it really easy to get around from there.

We are just going to be bumming around, shopping, enjoying Tokyo basically. Thoughts?

EDIT: I'm fairly certain it was just a Best Western in Shinjuku, which was reasonable enough.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  18. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

I stayed near Uguisudani and Ueno stations back in May. Both had access to the green and blue subway lines and made getting around super easy (for a first timer).

Uguisudani was at a hostel, and Ueno a hotel, which I picked for the proximity to the Narita express line... which wasn't helpful as I got lost trying to find the actual station for Narita in the rain. Fun times. :)

My next trip I don't think I'll care where I stay, as long as it's near a subway.

In Nagoya, the hotel I stayed at had basement access to an underground mall, that went into the station... was the greatest thing ever on the days it rained. :)

Copie likes this.
  19. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I want to try the capsule hotels there.

20. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

hey do any of you remember what the price of yamazaki 12 is at narita?

got a colleague heading over shortly with a slot avail in his duty free