Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. Boneman

Boneman Member

Something happened in NK? :o

2. trop

trop Member

I'm going in 3 weeks. The amount of people who are freaking out that we haven't cancelled our trip is starting to shit me!

We'll go and enjoy our trip and hopefully get less lines at things we visit because stupid people have stayed home ;)

3. doodz

doodz Member

yeah personally i dont give a shit, but it's the father inlaw.. he said it's dangerous and not safe. thus i should respect his concerns and not go on our honeymoon.

hmmmmm

4. miicah

miicah Member

What does the MIL think? And your wife? Honestly I don't think anything will happen, but are you really willing to lose all that invested money if you cancel so close?

5. doodz

doodz Member

MIL has no say, FIL is the driving force. FIL is nagging fiance every day.
    Saying it is dangerous to go to Japan, because of the North Korean war.

:mad: :sick:

6. Boneman

Boneman Member

Driving to the airport probably more dangerous. :p

7. squashedfrog

squashedfrog Member

most, if not all insurances will not cover war related cancellations...

I am also heading to japan and sth korea in 3 weeks with wife and young daughter. i am slightly concerned, however will still go as the travel advisories still give the green light. Everything is booked and paid for, looking forward to it.

8. Zee

Zee Member

There is a specific "cancellation" insurance, from memory. Also, check your tickets, different classes, even within economy, allow for different cancellations/changes.

I, for example, will usually buy one of the mid-tier economy tickets, as it allows changes, and can save a fair bit of hassle. In Bangkok last year, I misread my flight email, and turned up to BKK at about the time the plane pushed back. Went to ticket counter, and they got me sorted for another flight within 5 minutes. Not so easy if you have the cheapest fare, but again, always read the fine print.

May be worth investigating some additional insurance, but honestly, it'll be more to keep your mind at ease.

Make sure you work out all the costs, as insurance will have a fee per claim, and if your airline will issue even a partial refund, it may work out be cheaper to not bother with additional insurance. again though, I stress, read the WHOLE policy, especially the bits specific to your situation. It's annoying, and painful, but worth doing.

Z...

9. Zee

Zee Member

Everyone always wants to butt in.

I live in SE Asia about 5-6 months/year, mainly Manila, and the amount of shit I get form my dad drives me mental. The news would make you think you can't stop off an aircraft without something untoward going down.

The reality is, it has never been cleaner and safer in regions where I am - which is literally thousands of miles from where the trouble are. You're best off getting information from people on the ground in the place you're going. :thumbup:

I'd b leaving any cancellations for the last minute if things really do go South, but this situation has been like this for decades, it's just that Trump likes to posture as much as Kim.

Z...

10. Tinian

Tinian Member

Perhaps the FIL should respect your wishes?

11. trop

trop Member

We were in Thailand a couple of years ago during one of their coups. Our family was going apeshit over it and we knew nothing about the coup until I was checking emails in the airport on our way home!

12. mrthong

mrthong Member

cheers mate!

i don't think NK will be nuking/missiling Japan anytime soon, the amount of Chinese tourist here is bonkers. I see people watch it on the news etc, they dont care.

Otherwise, so far the trip is good. Lost my wallet, and got it back by arvo. :thumbup::thumbup:

13. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

you'll be fine. i went to japan and south korea when south korea and the US had their military exercise going on....and nothing happened then.

but, that being said, it would suck to be caught up in a war because of a bunch of fucktards and their saber rattling.

14. Chayum

Chayum New Member

Hey guys,

I will be traveling to Tokyo and Osaka/Kyoto with a group of friends later this year. We were looking for private onsens in/around these cities for privacy and tattoos.

From what I could find online, private onsens are generally only available to specific hotels.

Are there any onsens which offer private rooms?

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

16. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Does anyone have any personal recommendations on places to eat at?

I'll be going over for the first time from October 10-23rd.

Already booked accommodation in Tokyo (Shibuya), Osaka (Near Dotonbori), and Kyoto I am still trying to figure out where's the best location that has a lot of Kyoto-things to do. I want to do as much as I can within reasonable travel distance without wasting much time.

17. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i suggest trying the robot restuarant.

18. proffesso

proffesso Member

personal recommendations -

https://auxamis.com/tokyo

http://www.robuchon.jp/latelier-en

https://www.hiramatsurestaurant.jp/eng/aubergedelill-tokyo/

very good places to eat

19. trop

trop Member

I saw a post on another forum about the current weather in Japan being far colder than usual for this time of year. We head over in 10 days, so can anyone over there currently comment on the temps? Is it going to be jeans and jumpers or shorts and t-shirts?

20. Boneman

Boneman Member

Tokyo is normal for me, jeans and t-shirts. Maybe at night you might need and extra layer at most.