Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I really love Lotteria for their burgers and shaker fires (Soy Salt). Never underestimate the 7/11 Sandwiches on the go (they are of a far higher standard than Australia as many Japanese will eat them). From the train stations if your catching the train the bento boxes are excellent.

Tokyo has one of the best French Restaurants we ever tried (we were taken by a local who took us to several places). It is really hard to make any recommendations as we were spoilt (has local friends) and Tokyo is a massive city which is far more complex and diverse than any city we have in Australia also I haven't been there in 4 years so many places may have changed in that time.

As far as things to do in Kyoto review the guide (including video) I had pasted previously covering the different zones and suggestions:
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=17649747&postcount=4070

It depends on where you are headed (and where you are from if your from Tassie everywhere will be warm, Cairns and it will all be spanner weather) - north will be bloody cold and you'll want thermals whereas south you may still wear shorts.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  2. trop

trop Member

25th-30th - Tokyo
    1st-2nd - Nagano
    3rd-5th - Osaka
    5th-9th - Nagoya (I'll be in Suzuka for 7th/8th but family staying in Nagoya)

So guessing we will need a bit of everything clothing wise.

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

4. mwil7034

mwil7034 Member

Mate its still hot here in Tokyo. In 10 days you should still be fine with shorts, shirt and thongs even at night. I go to work each day in jeans and a short sleeve shirt and sweat my guts out. So don't think its some kind of winter wonderland lol. Its currently 29 degrees atm and its 5pm but more telling is the 50%+ humidity, its the real killer.

5. mrthong

mrthong Member

Shorts and tee shirts everyday, since 7/9. It's humid weather, not the dry you out type of heat you get like in australia. Pack a jumper/sweater at most if you are sceptical.

6. trop

trop Member

Thanks for the weather advice guys :thumbup:

7. negatron

negatron Member

Hi Guys,

Hope you guys in country haven't been affected by that earthquake.

I was just about to pull the trigger on a 8 day trip on first of Dec to check out Tokyo and maybe Sapporo.

Now I'm not so sure about it... What with the earthquakes and firings over hakkaido

What do you fellas think?

8. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Japan is on the ring of fire and gets earthquakes frequently. The 6.1 didn't warrant a mention from the missus (who is Japanese) - review the outcomes of it and then satisfy your self how many earthquakes they have a year.

Here we go:
    https://earthquaketrack.com/p/japan/recent

We can live in a cotton wool and never go anywhere or we can take a critical view of the facts and then take an informed risk.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  9. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

still working on my Japanese with Mrs. Bold Eagle :D

10. clockwork

clockwork Member

Hi Guys,

Never been to Japan before. Looking for any suggestions of things to do. We normally spend a lot of time walking, but my better half rolled her ankle 8 weeks ago and is still somewhat compromised, so no huge walks.
    We are looking for local tours, food, cultural, landscape etc. The only thing we have booked so far is the robot restaurant in Tokyo thanks to our son who gave it to us for my wife's birthday.

Our itinerary is:

Friday, 13 October 2017 Morning Sydney
    Afternoon Tokyo
    Saturday, 14 October 2017 Morning Tokyo
    Afternoon Tokyo
    Sunday, 15 October 2017 Morning Tokyo
    Afternoon Tokyo
    Monday, 16 October 2017 Morning Tokyo
    Afternoon Tokyo
    Tuesday, 17 October 2017 Morning Tokyo
    Afternoon Hakone
    Wed, 18 October 2017 Morning Hakone
    Afternoon Kyoto
    Thursday, 19 October 2017 Morning Kyoto
    Afternoon Kyoto
    Friday, 20 October 2017 Morning Kyoto
    Afternoon Kyoto
    Saturday, 21 October 2017 Morning Kyoto
    Afternoon Kyoto
    Sunday, 22 October 2017 Morning Kyoto
    Afternoon Himeji
    Monday, 23 October 2017 Morning Himeji
    Afternoon Miyajima
    Tuesday, 24 October 2017 Morning Miyajima
    Afternoon Kanazawa
    Wed, 25 October 2017 Morning Kanazawa
    Afternoon Kanazawa
    Thursday, 26 October 2017 Morning Kanazawa
    Afternoon Takayama
    Friday, 27 October 2017 Morning Takayama
    Afternoon Takayama
    Saturday, 28 October 2017 Morning Takayama
    Afternoon Tokyo
    Sunday, 29 October 2017 Morning Tokyo
    Afternoon Tokyo

Willing to try almost anything, especially if there are good photo opportunities.

Thanks

11. Athiril

Athiril Member

Forgot to say Ive been in Japan for a year now.. didnt check in earlier

I would suggest looking up whatever is currently in full "bloom" for autumn. If you find a good place for autumn colours, it is even better than cherry blossom season.

This list will be updated as it goes
    https://www.japan-guide.com/blog/koyo17/

Here is a general timeline for different areas this year
    https://www.kyuhoshi.com/japan-autumn-foliage-forecast/

* Shinkansen
    If you're getting a JR pass to travel around, you can pretty much go anywhere in the country from Tokyo for day return trips, you don't have to stay in the Tokyo area. You can order food/drinks (including beer) or bring your own on it (including beer), the window seat normally has an AC outlet for charging devices etc.

* Himeji
    Given you're going to Himeji castle, Takeda "castle" is a bit further out in the same direction from Osaka that Himeji is. I did both in the same day, Himeji in the morning, Takeda early afternoon until sunset, then came back down in the dark. I think there is a car park on top or near the opposing view.

This is it here https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=t...UICigB&biw=1920&bih=974#imgrc=4DEN9TW2VPeNhM:

If you want the stunning castle in the sky view you need to climb the opposing mountain trail rather than Takeda itself

* Kyoto
    I assume you'll go to Nara for the friendly deer? Lots of good photo ops with a short tele lens for isolation.

Fushimi Inari Taisha is really close to the station, its a popular tourist place but it is actually top notch, good at night if you can take night photos.

Kyoto also has this which looks great - https://www.hozugawakudari.jp/en

It is the river here - https://www.google.com.au/maps/@35.0234273,135.6092886,13.75z
    If you look at the map there is a train line that criss crosses the main train line, that is this here - https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3965.html

Sagano Scenic Railway, and its inexpensive, again great for photo ops.

Near Osaka which is close to Kyoto, is Minoo Park, another temple area thats a bit of a hidden gem, it is a bit of a walk but nothing particularly draining, depending how much you can handle
    https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=m...V7wKHThDAwcQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=974#imgrc=_

There's a ridiculous amount of temples in Kyoto. There is a 500 yen day bus pass you'll want to buy and use for your trips to save money, there are several different buses, and usually a big line up for some of them, but that cant be helped. Different buses take different routes around different temples. You can use hyperdia or google maps to plan public transport (google maps connects to public transport in Japan and can plan out train, subway and bus connections including walking between them for you) - another word on google maps, open the compass app first (every time), you might need to calibrate the compass (itll ask you to if it needs it), once that is done the directional arrow on google maps will point you in the right direction - often it is completely wrong in Japan and needs to be recalibrated very often for some reason.

There is a "hidden" gem about 1.5-2 hours away from Kyoto called Kibune/Kifune - https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3967.html

The temple is a bit of a walk, but you can stop in the scenic street in the town there, which is very nice, the waterfall restaurant in the pic may have been 10,000 yen to eat there from memory last time I went, but there is a cafe across from it (not on the waterfall) that is normal prices like 500-600 yen etc.

* Tokyo
    If you want to go to Akihabara, any day is good, but sunday during the day time is particularly good because most of the roads in the main areas are closed off to traffic so you can walk all over the road and take pics until about 5 or 6pm iirc. Easier to get around.

Harajuku is good, its not really much of a walk but you may get caught at a busy time in shoulder to shoulder crowds down the famous Takeshita dori street, which is one of the main reasons people go there, the other is for the large temple ground next to the station on the other side (which despite crowds has a lot of personal space due to how massive it is).

If you're looking for a historic looking area, then Kawagoe is a short trip from Tokyo by train
    https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6500.html

Kamakura is usually worth a trip and has many things to do and see. There is a cavern dug out over a period of several hundred years by monks called Taya Cavern, its definitely worth checking out if heading in that direction. Other than that, there's beaches, bamboo grove, giant statues, quite a lot to see - https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2166.html

* Others
    If you have a JR pass then your options are quite open.

For example, if you want somewhere to go that is out of this world, no one else really goes that much (I've been but it is usually quiet), and you don't have to walk/hike to get to it - but it will take you all day on public transport to get there from Tokyo - Osorezan Bodai-Ji temple (Shinkansen to Hachinohoe, then the Aomori Tetsudo to Shimokita station, then the local bus up to the temple).

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  12. clockwork

clockwork Member

Thanks Athiril, that's a lot of really great info. Love the idea of the Sagano Scenic Railway. Turns out we can get the train up and a boat ride back through the ravine according to the website.

Just bought a Fuji X-T20 (couldn't get the X-T2 past the finance committee) with a 18-55mm lens and I am really keen to put it through its paces. Your suggestions will really help.

13. Athiril

Athiril Member

No worries, there is honestly a lot more for all those areas, but you only have so much time.

If you can get a polariser, it can help out on your scenery (not just the sky), just gotta rotate it to the right angle.

The baby deer in Nara are a bit skittish but you can get quite close if you are patient and stand very still near where they are sitting and edge closer when they are not paying attention.

There are some areas in Nara where the deer are kinda 'enclosed' up on a hill with some kind of temple like thing, so you can shoot upwards, and without any people or modern construction in the background, if you can find that area, its great for pics.

edit: tokyocheapo.com is also a site to keep an eye on, interesting things can pop up at the time.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  14. cam99

cam99 Member

Yoyogi park on the Sunday, its near Harajuku.

It's Tokyo out at play so
    -Cosplay practising there musical numbers
    -rockabilly guys near the entrance
    -usually someone practising martial arts of some kind
    -Dogs being walked at the back of the park.

15. miicah

miicah Member

I'm still salty I missed out on the free return flights :(

16. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

I'LL BE IN JAPAN ON TUESDAYYY AHHHHHHH SUPER KEEEENNNN SUGOIIIIIIIIIII ^____^!!!!!!

17. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Have you got your JR Pass - no point going if you can't ride the Shinkansen..........

P.s. we always get ours from HIS:
    https://www.traveljapan.com.au/our-branches

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  18. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

すごいですね。日本はどのぐらいにいきますか。

ahh....my sessions with Mrs. Bold Eagle are starting to pay off LOL

19. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Done done done!

Only 15 days unfortunately. I wanted ideally 3 weeks but misses couldn't get leave long enough

20. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

ざんねんですね。

interesting, the min character count doesn't like japanese characters LOL