Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. mtma

mtma Member

I actually meant moreso on a relative scale, there's things to do there but if it's not necessarily your interest it can leave you with a bit of 'seen it before' kind of feeling if you have visited some of the other more glitzed up famous places. (kind of stuffed just refers to how planning to do the tour in Aichi leads one typically to stay in Nagoya for practical reasons)

For example I could probably do the SCMAGLEV and Railway Park in Nagoya and Omiya Rail Museum in Tokyo on the same trip and not find one or the other boring, but someone less interested could feel that it is a double up where one is less impressive than the other (In this case the factor would be on whether the person found steam trains or fast modern trains more interesting).

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    miicah likes this.
  2. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Missed the last train out of Ginza last night by 6min (one last drink / famous last words), had to catch a Shinkansen back to Kobe today so staying out for the night wasn't an option. I'm a tightarse and didn't want to pay for an uber/taxi as Google was saying it was a 3hr stroll back to the hotel.

At a decent pace/jog I thought I could knock that down to 2hrs so decided to give it a go, ended up taking 4hrs at said pace! It was bloody tempting not to "borrow" one of the hundreds of unchained bikes along the way, but I didn't want to be that kind of tourist. It was mostly a nice route, would have made a good dawn bike ride.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    firey4059 likes this.
  3. Boneman

Boneman Member

Do you know how to break a bicycle lock? ;)

4. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Wouldn't have needed to, only about 50% appeared to be locked.

5. Boneman

Boneman Member

You can easily take off the ring lock anyways, just need a screwdriver. People also use the handle of umbrellas to bust it open.

fredhoon likes this.
  6. mtma

mtma Member

I think the ring lock is more used to stop the 'oh I thought that one was mine' moments at the local supermarket.

7. Boneman

Boneman Member

It also stops drunk people stealing my bike. ;) But seriously, the last thing you want is getting caught with a bike not registered in your name/family member.

fredhoon likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I just read that after 10 years they completed the restoration of a major part of the castle. The castle is located quite central in the city, easy to get there, and it's impressive.

Nagoya Castle’s Honmaru Palace set to reopen June 1

Nobunaga likes this.
  9. LayZ

LayZ Member

For D1GP @ Tsukuba I am thinking of renting a bike and riding it from Sodo (hour walk). Last time I was at Tsukuba I walked there and took the taxi back. The hour walk doesn't bother me too much but having a bike wold be better.

Taking a bike on the train I assume is a big nono, would it be possible to rent one in Moriya? The train from Soda > Moriya is extremely quiet and single carriage from memory but if it's really against the rules I'll walk it.

Alternatively we could rent a car for a day and drive it up there, both will likely end up costing similar.

Nobunaga likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

11. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

It was in the high 4's where we are near Kobe, the kids were a bit scared as I gave them a crash course on where to take shelter. It's my first experience of a proper earthquake, I was surprised at how loud the low frequency rumbling was.

12. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Love this place... Suntory Yamazaki Distillery, Whisky Library

IMG_20180621_144538__01_1529561288242.jpg IMG_20180621_144804_1529561358206.jpg IMG_20180621_144830_1529561461440.jpg

Zee, miicah, firey4059 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Winterheart

Winterheart Member

Damn, love those pictures! Making me very jealous :p :D

14. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

FYI for anyone who flies Jetstar. We've had our carry on baggage weighed and tagged at KIX, first time in 10years traveling Bris or GC to Osaka. That said they didn't bat an eyelid at my 8.7kg laptop bag (limit is 7kg).

We are usually the party that has a little too much carry-on so I've always wondered when such a crackdown will start.

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

16. cmi83

cmi83 Member

MR CHILLED likes this.
  17. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Almost tempting to send the missus home so I get a break............they are direct flights to (from BNE to Tokyo(NRT)).............................

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

No probs, actually probably the best I've ever seen.

firey4059 likes this.
  19. cmi83

cmi83 Member

Yeah its unreal, considering I almost bought at $1300 last week for 9 ppl !

20. Tinian

Tinian Member

:shock: I'd almost sit in economy class for 9-10 hours for that price.

No I wouldn't.