1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. mtma

mtma Member

As you have probably noticed, Mt. Fuji is pretty far away from Tokyo.

Also one item the guides don't really say much about is that the sightseeing bus loops start at 9am. If you take any of the ~6am buses from Tokyo up there, you will be too early for the sightseeing bus routes. Also if you are planning to go all the way out to Motosu-ko using the sightseeing bus then you'll want to work this part out ahead of time.

If you are keen on the various sightseeing places (aside from climbing the mountain) without driving, then 2 days one night is probably about the right amount of time.

2. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Exactly my thoughts. I would not rush this. Climbing Fuji is a once in a life time experience. Why doing it under time duress?

3. miicah

miicah Member

We are going outside climbing season anyway, so I can't do it :(

4. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

You can go up any time. It is just so that during the official climbing season, the stations/cottages on the way up and on the summit are operating. You don't need them though.

5. mtma

mtma Member

Err are you sure? The trails seem to be declared officially off limits outside season.

Travel insurance won't cover your evac if you go up when an official advisory is up saying it's off limits, and of course it's actually more difficult to rescue or help you during that time.

6. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Yes, I am sure, 100%.

You can go up there any time, and people do so. I would not go up between October and April, because it's full of snow and ice. But some people with the right equipment do. I friend of mine ( a climber) went up in April, and he said there were many Japanese snowboarder there.

"Evac"?

7. mtma

mtma Member

Evacuation.

OK so you got me curious, I found this document (in Japanese)
    http://www.fujisan-climb.jp/m3oati0000005me4-att/guideline_jp_rev201512.pdf
    It's a bit of an odd one!

In summary it says that it is possible to climb the mountain out of season but at all times when the situation is considered unsafe for the general public, the access trails themselves are closed by force of Article 46 of the roads act (i.e only open during the official climbing season, as it were)

In the last part of the section that covers it, it goes onto say that climbing the mountain at these times is at your own risk, and to expedite possible rescue you should submit a climbing plan to the climbing association, however the submitted plan does not grant you permission to climb the mountain.

ED-
    They do have a prettier English copy, says the same thing:
    http://www.fujisan-climb.jp/en/m3oati0000003huj-att/guideline_en_201604.pdf

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  8. Fraggle

Fraggle Member

Can confirm, have done the climb out of season (September, 2011) and trail was both open and a surprising number of others doing the same (even many elderly). Was within a week or two of the season close tho, so no ice or snow but it was very, very cold over-night (two jackets) and hot (shirt) during the day (also very windy at the peak). Most of the huts were closed but a couple had food/water etc. available (although take your own unless prepared to pay the escalated prices).

Definitely something to tick off the bucket-list, however for me at least it's probably not something I'd specifically attempt again :lol: If you're fit enough to climb several flights of stairs without collapsing it should be fine. Didn't find it a difficult climb, even at night, just lengthy so take your time. The trail is well signed and there were enough other climbers to have others always within sight. The descent is probably more difficult due to the very lose rocks (different path for descent than ascent) and added exhaustion. Luckily we had relatively favourable weather conditions, I would also strongly recommend keeping an eye on the weather forecasts regardless of in- or out-of season before setting off.

Attached Files:

fredhoon likes this.
  9. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

anagula likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Right, in case of heavy snow fall, the roads that lead up to highest (last) station from where you start climbing would be closed. That of course would mean you cannot climb up. But that does never happen, in let's say May, June, October or November. Officially Fuji is open for climbing July, August and I think first week in September. But there is no problem to access by car or bus one of the highest stations in May, June or September, October or November. I can tell you that climbing up in let's say June or October, is certainly more fun than in July or August, because during the official climbing season you move up within thousands of noisy Chinese tourists.

anagula likes this.
  11. zeropluszero

zeropluszero Member

Dont leave for another 6 weeks, hopefully a little recovered by then.

12. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

The way Japanese recover from disasters is absolutely amazing - in 6 weeks you will be lucky to see any sign of any disaster. They are so organised, highly efficient and regimental in their responses to adverse situations it is truly amazing to see. Japan is the most manual documented (methodology clearly and concisely captured in a book) society in the world. They have manuals for everything.

13. zeropluszero

zeropluszero Member

Yeh tbh that's more or less what im expecting, so long as they dont have any other disasters between then and now hopefully.
    So fucking excited for 5 weeks in Japan.

anagula, cmi83 and fredhoon like this.
  14. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  15. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Jealous! 2nd full week back at work for me and I wish I was still over there.

16. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

You have a JR Pass "green class" I hope...............................

17. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

All true, it's also due to the "attitude" they have developed in this disaster prone country. Even after Fukushima you could see it. The hysteria that would have befallen a country like Germany after such a historic disaster was totally absent.

On the other hand, fixing the damage to the infrastructure takes a very long time. If you visit Kumamoto you will find that certain key bridges in this mountainous prefecture have not been restored, even 2 years after a major quake hit them.

anagula likes this.
  18. zeropluszero

zeropluszero Member

Nah, but we managed to get 5 weeks down to 3weeks with rail passes for our itinerary.

19. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Nice to have, but I think the green car seat is too expensive, after all its just more legroom and a wet towel :D

20. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

It's cheap if your a tourist and use it frequently........