Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Ok, but it really depends on how much you use the pass, and how tall you are. :D

2. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

The 2-week heat wave still continues. Many cities got temperature well above 40C. In Saitama, next prefecture to Tokyo, they got an all time high for Japan of 42C.

3. Boneman

Boneman Member

I was hiking in Saitama last week, felt a little hotter than last season. Its the damn humidity though not so much the temperature (as a lot of Aussies are used to 45c heat).

4. XAJIM

XAJIM Member

Climbed Mt Fuji on the weekend and got utterly roasted! It's damn humid in Kyoto and the sun has some sting in it during the day.

chainbolt likes this.
  5. dutto

dutto Member

Any accomodation recommendations for Rusutsu? 3 people (couple + 1), close to the resort and conference centre as we are doing a conference there. Going in Feb next year.

6. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Great. I guess you got to the summit to watch the sun rising? I have also been up and I found it really spectacular. How many hours did you need to go up?

7. Tazor

Tazor Member

Going to Japan in September (Tokyo>Kyoto>Negano>Sendai>Tokyo) so if people have any suggestions throw em my way! There for a little over 2 weeks.

Going to Sendai almost entirely to stock up on Miyagikyo and Coffey Grain whisky (I have $2000 and 8L of liquor allocation, aiming to bag me an 18yo Single Malt xD)

firey4059 likes this.
  8. zeropluszero

zeropluszero Member

Are you prepared to be disappointed?

9. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

About what? Sendai or the Whisky?

10. zeropluszero

zeropluszero Member

the availability of said whisky.

firey4059 likes this.
  11. zeropluszero

zeropluszero Member

Wife allowed me about $500 and I'll have a 4.5lt allowance.
    Figure worst case I stock up on Y900 Suntory Kakubin and drink that all summer long.

12. Tazor

Tazor Member

Oh I'm well aware there is like no age statement single malts, doesn't mean I ain't gonna try hard to find some xD Either way, I will have more luck finding it in Japan than here and at a much cheaper prince (My Nikka 12Yo was $70 there and is over $300 here)

13. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

EMS Conference?

I went last year, stayed at the resort in the main building. Was stupid expensive but tax deduction so took the sting out a little bit. Food selections were average from within the building, and we struggled to get into any of the (tiny) restaurants within walking distance.

Some from our group stayed at the 'Travel Lodge' part of it, said aside from being old and the lack of wifi it was fine. The walk over the road isn't that far, maybe 20m across a carpark.

There isn't much more else there (yet), the few rental houses/lodges I found were a good 800m+ walk away from the main building, and we weren't keen to lug gear back and forth again.

anagula likes this.
  14. XAJIM

XAJIM Member

I didn't climb for the sunrise/sunset, just went up at around 9am, and was at the summit by 1230. Stayed at the summit for about 2hrs, walked the crater then descended in about 2hrs. Was on the 1630 bus back to Kawaguchiko.

15. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

16. zeropluszero

zeropluszero Member

please feel free to flick me a PM if you find any good stores & their locations.
    I'll be there 25/8-29-9

17. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Now, this was really fast. But a pity that you missed the sun rise.

18. XAJIM

XAJIM Member

Some of the runners going up went past me like I was standing still. I maintained a decent pace, but didn't run at all on the way up and kept breaks disciplined and to a minimum. Next time I might go for a sunrise/sunset, but that will be a few years from now.

chainbolt likes this.
  19. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

would anyone be able to get me some photo books from japan? they're near impossible to find online (apart from the ones by famous photographers). i'd like ones taken on film cameras by local photographers. i've heard they can be found at Manadrake in Nakano, as well as in more common stores like Yodobashi Camera. Also, some photo galleries in Shijuku Sanchome should have some for sale or to take.
    would be happy to toss you a commission for the help or pay for post if you aren't coming down to AUS anytime soon.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  20. Tinian

Tinian Member

Those people can thank their lucky stars they weren't in Ishigaki - the humidity makes a big difference. Of course, the ability to drink beer and wander into the ocean made it easier to deal with. :cool:

firey4059, fredhoon and chainbolt like this.