Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Awesome work there......has me itching to go back.........

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  2. Juggs

Juggs Member

i got a special on a flight so going for a week in august,im just going to tokyo to eat drink sleep and wander around.
    was either that or sit at home for a week as our leave is mandatory

any must dos in tokyo regarding steak type meals and whiskey ?
    all ive planed to see is any aquarium i can find and some fishing tackle mega stores

3. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Nice. And I thought I know all race circuits in Japan. :) Nikko Circuit? Never heard. I like the pics from the country side most. And I recognize Lake Ashinoko.

4. LayZ

LayZ Member

We actually didn't go there, they would be photos from Lake Haruna!

I pretty much just went here and looked at the schedules of each track we were close too, glad we got two "grass roots" drift events in. Even managed to make friends with an Italian bloke who was with a team over there on holiday, took some pics for him and he was super appreciative. Australian drift and car scene in general has a lot to learn from Japan...

5. LayZ

LayZ Member

I would recommend doing Tokyo Kart if you get a chance, they are on AirBNB and offer a much safer setup than other "Mario Kart" places.

Odaiba and the general area is pretty cool and always worth a look imo, especially at night, Rainbow Bridge and the surrounding areas look really good.

Akihabara even if you aren't in to Otaku stuff is still prettycool, very full on and you can't really find anything else like it.

If you are in to old toys, miniature cars and other random hobbies Nakano Broadway is pretty cool, great Vietnamese place near it called Bia Hoi Chop.

6. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Salty

How so? Had a failed attempt (due to weather) to do MariCar Tokyo, and had a great time in Osaka with them...

7. LayZ

LayZ Member

The one in Tokyo doesn't have a lead or trailing car/motorbike, they also had an accident recently last month I'm told. I really liked Tokyo Kart as they had a motorbike leading and a van at the back to make lane changes a lot smoother, not that there was many.

I have had friends do the Mario Kart one and their experiences didn't seem as good as ours overall too. They are likely much the same but worth thinking about.

8. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Salty

Interesting, we had a lead kart and trailing car for Osaka earlier this year. Will keep it in mind for next years trip, cheers!

EDIT: I should add that it was fantastic in Osaka, the guide I believe was off to Kyoto to start up a franchise there.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  9. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

We did Maricar and it was the best thing we ever did, couldn't rate them highly enough. Tokyo's an extroadinarily safe place to drive.

You'll get a lead KART in Maricar, not a Car/Motorbike - but IMO this isn't necessary.

Looking at the reviews of Maricar compared to TokyoKart there's a big difference, perhaps it's just newer and hasn't really gained traction yet.

10. Juggs

Juggs Member

thanks for that will give it all ago

11. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

If whisky is your thing, we went to Sky Lounge “Stellar Garden” - would recommend...

Couple of pics we took: https://imgur.com/a/1oASsGf

TheWedgie likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

LOL about the price list, it would be slightly beyond my budget. :D And interesting to see a "service charge" added (in Japan).

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018 at 2:47 PM
  13. LayZ

LayZ Member

We had it done to us at a TJI Friday's 2 years ago and we were pretty taken back, especially given there was no service beyond them taking our order...

14. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Ok, you learn something new every day. In more than 30 years living in Japan, I was never charged a "service charge". "Tipping" and "services charges" are a very bad practice.

15. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

Yeah we definitely didn't fit in :lol::lol: lots of business men and then us 3 Aussies rock up in shirts and jeans.