Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

Ugh... if I wasnt trying to haul ass on a home deposit I'd have bought these already.

Kind of glad Japan sales are frequent though.

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah relatively frequently yep, and very well priced.

3. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

ATM usage in Japan is normally free. In case of 7 Eleven withdrawing is free from 07:00 to 19:00. Over night it's 108 JPY .I guess you use an Australian credit card, and in that case your credit company will charge you though a fee for overseas usage. If not, they will have their cut by applying a very unfavourable FX rate.

anagula likes this.
  4. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

Thanks I followed this advice, I passed up the opportunity to change some money while transiting in Singapore which was a slightly better rate despite the conversion AUD -> SGD -> THB, it was something like 23.15 vs 22.95 at the Superrich in the Airport. I of course didn't know it was a better rate at the time but it's something to be aware of, the money changers inside Singapore airport seem to be very good.

Thanks for the info, I use a Citibank Plus Debit card which doesn't have a fee for overseas withdrawals and has a pretty good exchange rate as far as I know.

Zee and anagula like this.
  5. miicah

miicah Member

AUD sucks atm, we were wondering why our recent trip felt so much more expensive.

6. Zee

Zee Member

Yup, the few days I'm in the US at the moment feel like spiked gloves up the rectum...

Z...

anagula likes this.
  7. Zee

Zee Member

Actually, I may do a quick comparison, I'm headed back to the US in a couple of weeks, and may be worth doing $AU-$SG-$US.

Z...

8. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

We are offering now a very attractive car rental program for longer staying tourists who want to explore the country by car. The best offer is 1 month with the new Discovery for 324,000 JPY, including insurances and tax. A Lexus RX (which is smaller) cost you almost twice as much. And even a lowly Toyota Harrier would cost you 450,000 JPY per month.

20181109131101_001.jpg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    TheWedgie likes this.
  9. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Yep. The Citibank daily rate is usually a poofteenth better than most of the standard travel cards. Obvious catch is if the ass continues to fall out of the AUD, you lose value.

I've recently opened up a HSBC Everyday Global Account as it has the best of both worlds - on the day rates from the AUD component, but if you transfer over to other currency "wallets" (like some stored value travel cards) then the value stays as it was on the day you transferred it.

Will probably not use Citibank for this next trip and ditch it if the HSBC one works well. I'm also able to get the other half as a joint account holder so we get a card each, which was a bit of a problem with the Citibank one.

10. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

Long shot perhaps, but anyone had any experiences with babysitting in Nagano area? Thinking specifically for half-days during ski season. Loads on google but looking for experiences, and wanting to know if they are commonly Japanese or western, before I start spamming them with info requests.