1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Foreign group tours banned in some Japanese tourist spots

It's not about about individual tourists, but organized groups. Has nothing to do with "racism", but very rude manners. As a permanent resident in Japan, I have unpleasant observations about the huge number of tourists from a certain country. My advice to individual tourists would be: Stay away, or move away, if you see larger groups from said country are approaching.

onanist, firey4059 and Ronald Reagan like this.
  2. coolroy

coolroy Member

Chinese tourists especially the group tour variety spoil it for everyone unfortunately.

My next trip to Japan will be with ANA rather than Singapore airlines.

Mostly flying ANA due to the direct flights now available to us & secondly and just as important for my wife & I, less likely to encounter issues that we have witnessed/experienced from certain passengers.

Saying all of the above I was disgusted & ashamed to witness a loud mouthed English business man talking loudly on his mobile on the NeX between Nartita & Shinagawa on one of my trips recently.

He was bemoaning the fact that his sales pitch had failed miserably.

Wow just wow, how can you expect to do business with a country if you don't follow/respect the local rules & etiquette .......:rolleyes:

This will most probably be our last trip to Japan due to health restrictions however we will surely enjoy the experience & will definitely be seeking out some of the the less travelled spots to make the most of our holiday.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  3. Hater

Hater Member

When I used to live in Edinburgh, this was a large problem too. Especially the spitting.

chainbolt likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

5. Boneman

Boneman Member

What a loser. Graffiti is bad enough but hitting a train is even stupider.

firey4059 and chainbolt like this.
  6. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Dickhead doesn't deserve Consular assistance - instead let him spend some time in a Japanese prison, that will change his behavior.

7. Tinian

Tinian Member

To think he travelled all that way to draw on some trains.

8. Boneman

Boneman Member

Gotta represent bro.

9. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Hopefully the idiot never got anywhere near the Takamatsu to Okayama train - they had something very creative (almost freaky) running on that line (around 2014);
    P5282123.jpg P5282124.jpg P5282126.jpg

Takamatsu did have some fantastic art appreciation in their prefecture.
    http://takamatsulife.com/blog/2015/11/19/naoshima/

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    onanist, chainbolt and firey4059 like this.
  10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

11. coolroy

coolroy Member

Anyone here visited USJ during mid week days & found the park still too busy?
    Looking to possibly visit possibly the 4th december
    Have used crowd control calendars online for Tokyo Disney land & sea but did not find them all that accurate to be honest.
    Realistically only going for the Harry Potter world experience.

12. trop

trop Member

Harry Potter world is the busiest part of the park no matter what day apparently.

We went mid-week in a low-med crowd time (apparently) & most of the park was pretty good with reasonable lines but HP area was full with big lines for the attractions, shops & food. The fast pass is expensive (imo) for universal studios but worth it for getting through HP world rides.

13. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

as a tourist wheree can you eat whale meat in Japan (toyko) now they have resumed commercial whaling?

14. miicah

miicah Member

You'd think it would be in the most expensive restaurants and probably get poo pood being a gaijin anyway and not allowed in lol

15. coolroy

coolroy Member

Only once turned away from a Japanese club as a young man many many decades ago.

Did not offend me the slightest bit.

Have only had the best of experiences on my many stays here either for work or pleasure.

Not sure why anyone would be chasing whale meat to try, based on cases that sugest that the bigger the mammal/fish the more loaded they are with heavy metals.

16. coolroy

coolroy Member

Many thanks for feedback if we still go I guess the fast pass would be the go, however with my current medical state its doubtful i could use any of the rides at present.

Mostly interested in just going through HarryPotter world, butter beer, shops & Castle walk experience.

Is it worth paying to go to USJ just to walk around without using the rides?

17. trop

trop Member

I didn't get to do the actual Harry Potter castle ride (too big for the seat lock to close over my shoulders properly) and I just did the castle walk which was still awesome to see and there was next to no lineup for that so no point in paying for the fastpass if you won't be able to actually go on the rides.

My wife and kids went on the castle ride and I just enjoyed wondering around Hogsmeade village area, its extremely well done and if you're a HP fan its very cool to get to see it all. Also, frozen butterbeer is awesome.

As for the rest of USJ, its a nice enough place to wander around and some of the areas are pretty cool but its no disneyland / disney sea where the scenery is amazing. Without going on rides I think you would be done with USJ in half a day.

18. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Most Japanese have it at school lunches and it is a very average meat. As coolroy point's out the heavy-metal and toxic toxin build ups could be concerning. If you are really keen to try it, personally I wouldn't:
    https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Show...aya-Shibuya_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html
    https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Rest...aya-Shibuya_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Show...aya-Shibuya_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

19. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

interesting but Im not going to hang out at Japanese schools to get whale meat but yes im keen to try it I am planning a trip to Japan probably at xmas one or 2 meals wont kill me so I dont care about heavy metals

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!