Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Thanks for all the great info

As for Osaka, We are planing on doing day trips from Osaka to Nara and Hiroshima

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Nara is closer to Kyoto.

For Hiroshima (this place can be a bit depressing to be honest) I would normally say Miyajima is a must see (and probably still is) but they have restoration works on the 'floating torii gate';
    https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3401.html

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Most if not all shinkansen stations will have food vendors geared for train travel/consumption. I would be very surprised if you struggled to find food (unless it is some very late hour) and think you might be a bit overwhelmed for choice in some locations.

Stations like Hakodate will have a very wide assortment of food retailers at the platform from donuts to Bento to Bakery to Fruit to anything you could imagine and they are geared towards train travel consumption which will be similar at many of the bigger train stations.

As noted by Z above the 7/11 are a lot different from what you find in Australia with lot's of fresh sandwiches, rice balls, some limited selection of Bento Boxes and a massive array of drink selections (including alcohol). It would be quite easy to live out of a 7/11 for three meals a day for a limited period if needed.

Also if your ever really tired and don't want to eat out many supermarkets cater for the Japanese 'workaholic' and have many meals ready to go. From sushi to sashimi to tempura (you get a tray and then select from a wide variety of choices) to Bento to curry.

4. warrenr

warrenr Member

I'm going to Japan for 10 days and figured instead of sim cards for 4 (2A + 2C), I'd go 2 wireless hotspots and pair and adult with a kid at all times
    Staying in Tokyo and so far leaning towards https://www.japan-wireless.com/en/product/order
    premium wifi (187Mbs) 16560Y or 220AU with 75% insurance. The ones with 100% insurance are obviously more (makes me wonder why they dont just sell them outright given customers are paying for 100% loss/damage anyway? Or am I missing something?

Also whats the cheapest way to just see Mount Fuji (not climb it or anything :p or even base - just see it from a distance)

5. mtma

mtma Member

It is possible to day trip around the five lakes at Mt. Fuji (although for a day trip it will be more likely be two lakes). One of the more time efficient options for day-tripping, and least expensive (JR pass usage notwithstanding) is to book a bus from Tokyo. The train takes a little bit longer than the coach if you are shacked up somewhere in central Tokyo.

You will have to plan well to really make the most of your time if you are using the Mt. Fuji sightseeing bus and not staying within the Mt. Fuji area. When I went the first coach up to the area actually arrives around an hour before the sightseeing buses start. I sort of winged it (being that I was going to spend time at the shibasakura flower bloom that ended up passing early) but after checking out the sightseeing map quickly worked out that there was only one way to realistically be able to get as far as Motosu-ko (the furthest lake from the lake Kawaguchi, where the train and coach will terminate) using the sightseeing bus ticket within a day and be able to see other attractions on the way back.

Given that kids are often a bit of an issue to juggle a day tour might be another option for you?

It's possible to see Mt Fuji from a number of areas in favourable weather (such as on the Shinkansen) but going right up to the base really gets you a much higher likelihood.

Fuji-Q-highland might be a choice, if you and your kids are that way inclined.

ED- pretty much has all the info of options to consider:
    https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6933.html

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Bold Eagle likes this.
  6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

My only ever decent picture was from the bullet train, days later going to Haknoe and the Skyrail, etc, etc we had low cloud and poor visibility. At least I got a good view this day; P5181873.jpg

7. Zee

Zee Member

So, seeing a lot of talk about Hakodate... IS it somewhere that I can keep an 8yo amused?

So far we've got Universal and Disney worlds planned for theme parks, then a few temples and castles that she seems interested in in Kyoto, Osaka and Tokyo. We've got 5 full days (plus a day either side for arrival, departure).

I figure we've got a day left in our itinerary... May be pushing it, though.

Z...

8. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

That depends on the 8yo and time of year. It takes a decent train ride to get there (the Shinakansen wasn't there last time I was). When I was there, to get there and back to anywhere on Honshu would take a day just in train rides and would not allow anytime in Hakodate. It was at least 2 hours from the most northerly point of Honshu to Hakodate. So unless your willing to overnight or 'drive' it would be futile.

There are things to do;
    https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5350.html

For me it is like Hobart - exceptional seafood, air quality, water etc. and scenery if the weather is favorable.

Considering the distance and time limits I would suggest Nara and or the three monkeys (Nikko);
    https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3800.html

Nikko (the three monkeys) should blow an 8yo's brain and stop them looking at devices for a while!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Zee likes this.
  9. Zee

Zee Member

This sounds rather interesting - could be just the ticket. We're going in about 2 weeks (and we'll be in Hokkaido in January, anyway). It's basically an "introduction to Japan" for the little girl. Going to ban her devices for the duration of the trip...

Z...

10. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Don't get me started on Hokkaido......Asahikawa Zoo.......Utoro yes we saw bears and an Eagle Owl (both very obscured but you cannot be mistaken) so many deer and foxes in a world Heritage zone. A 'Lake Akan' bus trip had us see sulfur vents from active vents in a volcano, a local squirrel at another location and then the lake which has 'hot springs' (some being 800-1000C) around the outside of it as the bubble mud up (literally liquefied rock). Furano...........wetlands near Kushiro.....

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  11. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I personally like Nikko very much, history and all this. But I doubt it will be interesting for an 8 year old kid. And the 3 monkeys, they are so small ....

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

13. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Does anyone have any experience with streaming?

I was hoping to stream Netflix/Plex in my airbnb's and on my long train rides, but I'm thinking there might be some issues.

1. I heard the wifi on the train is very slow, maybe not enough for streaming?
    2. I heard that most airbnb free wifi has a very small limit, or is just slow in general.

Thats why I was thinking of getting an unlimited sim that has 3GB per day which then might be speed limited.

This would allow me to stream quite a lot as I can easily limit the quality to 480p.

Has anyone had any experiences? Being in Japan for 22 days I'm expecting to get worn out and want to watch some movies/TV at times.

14. Tinian

Tinian Member

Agreed. Small and old. After you've pointed them out, then what for kids?
    I've only watched movies when travelling (plane/ train) when not sleeping. Simply too much to do and see. I download onto my device using wifi and then watch.

15. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I think some if it was already mentioned, but here again:
    The current hit (even before Trump visited it) for tourists (in particular for kids) in Tokyo is "Digital Art Museum", a digital world, in Odaiba. It is NOT a "museum". The Japanese use this word, unlike in English, for any kind of exhibition or display. The digital visualizations there are truly outstanding and unique.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  16. Tinian

Tinian Member

I mean specific to Nikkō, although kids would probably like Nikko Edomura.

17. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I think other than Edomura, there isn't anything of particular interest for kids in NIkko, or in this region. There is lot of nature around, I am quite often there for skiing, but I think for kids it's a rather boring place.

18. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

In Australia when we go traveling we take our HTPC NUC and have a series or two DL on it and some movies so if we get bored we plug that in via HDMI into a TV and just watch that. The WiFi even at Australian hotels is for email and forums speed.

19. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

That very much depends, where you are, and how your host's place is equipped for wireless. If it is Tokyo, we have fiber optical here for a good 20 years, now up to 10 GB/sec. I don't think this is slower than in Australia. Maybe you can check out before you come, what kind of Wifi speed is available at your place.

Free Wifi is available at both metropolitan subway systems ("Metro" and "Toei"), but while the trains are moving it is frequently interrupted, no good for streaming.

20. warrenr

warrenr Member

well I scrolled back a bit and decided to go with this plan. I am assuming I can just rock up on the day with no prebooking etc required (landing sunday 9AM)

Planning to use citibank for cash - no need to inform them of travel prior BUT if they did plan to block it due to suspicious activity they will only call a mobile or sms
    https://www.citibank.com.au/aus/banking/travelling-overseas.htm
    Just confirmed this with them via chat as well :( and if it was by chance disabled, I cant get it re-enabled via chat either, it has to be via phone
    soooooooo I need a voice sim just in case! doh......