Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

Taking note of your advice guys, we've decided to spend one day in Kyoto instead just to tick it off the checklist. Probably will just explore the city and hit up some nearby shrines to say we've done it, and allocate the remainder of the time, supposed to be spent in Kyoto, to Kobe instead.

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I hope Nara and Nikko are on the checklist..........

3. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

Luckily not...i'm no fan of deers and that's probably the most touristy spot I can think of anyway. Nikko is a bit out of the way.
    Am going to Fuji though. Plan is to cycle around the lakes nice and early so we can avoid the crowd.

4. Tinian

Tinian Member

Bugger cycling around the lake. Spend a day at Fujikyu-Highland instead.

5. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

I think I've past the age to enjoy amusement rides haha
    But I did want to go there to take photos as I'm into photography. Is it possible to go there for free to spectate and not go on any of the rides? Or is there an entry fee seperate from ride fee?

6. Tinian

Tinian Member

Actually I think you can get in for free and then pay for each individual ride.

[edit] Yes, you can: http://www.fujiq.jp/ticket/attraction.html

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Ronald Reagan likes this.
  7. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

The city of Kyoto really isn't anything special though, if you've been to Tokyo or Osaka it'll just be underwhelming.

If ticking things off your list is a must, then at least see Fushimi Inari Shrine

Gion - You're going late in the year, so may not see Geiko/Maiko (Likely taking taxi than walking)

$27 AUD For some of the rides though! :O
    They'd be fun, but jesus...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Ronald Reagan likes this.
  8. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

Would 1 full day at Fuji be enough to see all/most of what's worth seeing or is that not enough?
    So far we've planned to check out Fuji-Q highland, lake yamankaka, lake shoji, lake kawaguchi. Anything else worth seeing?
    Was originally planning to stay 2 nights instead of 1 but accomodation around Fuji in December seems to be bloody expensive

9. Tinian

Tinian Member

I estimate I spent ~$150 on the day. That included a day pass and bypassing the regular lines for the rollercoasters. Worth every cent.
    YMMV but if it's a overcast day, then one lake is pretty much like any other. You could spend less than half a day at Fuji-Q taking happy snaps as the trainline is right next to it. One night should be enough IMO.

10. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

Trying to find some capsule hotels to slum it out for 1 night in Omiya (Saitama), but can't seem to reserve any of them online as they don't have any pages for booking. Thoughts on just rocking up on the day? I'm worried they'd not allow non-japanese there, as I've heard rumours of this happening before (http://www.debito.org/?p=12590)

11. mtma

mtma Member

I'd suggest not to try to gaijin smash it.

If you can't book it through the usual portals, I would probably give it a miss - all you're setting yourself up for is a bad experience.

Omiya is somewhat out of town, I would be surprised if you had more than novelty capsule hotels there. The one showing on booking etc. doesn't seem that cheap either.

Maybe you could shack up at a internet-manga cafe for 12 hours instead :lol:

12. sanjay

sanjay Member

ooh yeah excited - booked tickets for first 2 weeks of december in japan with the missus :D

i know it'll be cold then but it means my girlfriend can take one lump of leave and we only have to put the catties into the cattery once.

thinking of keeping it simple - tokyo - kyoto - hiroshima. should i be a bit more ambitious?

gonna start reading and planning this week :D

13. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

Hehe seems like we're on the same boat.
    Our plan is tokyo - fuji - nagano - kanazawa - kyoto - osaka - kobe. A lot for little over 2 weeks so it's going to be a blitz.

14. sanjay

sanjay Member

yeah i was thinking of doing mt fuji in a day trip. or is that a stupid idea?

is there any particular reason to go to osaka? most of what ive watched/read so far seems to suggest its just another big city - bit like what melbourne is to sydney. perhaps ive offended a whole city of people in that one sentence.

15. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

We did fuji as a day trip from Tokyo, but it was a guided trip which also included Hakone

for us Osaka was a good base for Day trips to Nara, Himeji Castle and Hiroshima

coolroy likes this.
  16. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

If going to Hiroshima (which can be depressing) make sure to check Miyajima
    https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3401.html
    Although the Tori gate maybe covered up in scaffolding there is a lot to see on the island.

17. sanjay

sanjay Member

Far out. that looks beautiful. might need to spend a bit more time in hiroshima than i was originally thinking.

Where along my simple itinterary would be the best place to experience an onsen and/or a ryokan?

18. Daveros

Daveros Member

I did the Fuji/Hakone day trip and I hated it. Bus full of twattish Americans (“is it SHE-BOO-YA or SHY-BOO-YAH?!?”), a mountain I didn’t even get to see (fog and shit), and not a generally pleasant tour.

I reckon you’ll have more luck actually seeing Fuji in winter (I think I’m right in saying that, fog clears in winter), and I’m not sure how much of the tour was actively bad as it was me in an actively bad mood. But if I was given the choice, I wouldn’t do it again - or, if nothing else, I’d avoid the big tour companies and try to find a smaller operator who takes fewer people.

19. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

We did the Hakone Ropeway and enjoyed it and your not crammed in with a mass of people;
    https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5223.html
    https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attr...igarashimo_gun_Kanagawa_Prefecture_Kanto.html
    https://www.hakoneropeway.co.jp/foreign/en/
    and then those mockup pirate ships on the lake. We also had poor visibility and the only ever decent shot of Mt Fuji was from the Shinkansen.

I am hearing you about Yank tourists they are worse than the Chinese, there I said it, they are extremely loud, arrogant and fucking obnoxious. They only reason they Chinese end up being worse is because of the sheer numbers.

20. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I had the same experience, similar to mount rokko.

Feels like a tourist trap and it really takes up time that could be spent elsewhere (My Japan Rail Pass was active at the time)

I did go on that mockup pirate ship so maybe I'm partly to blame as I should have known better.

I know Onsens are a big reason to go to Hakone but there are onsens all over Japan.

In my opinion you can tell you are in a genuine place to visit by the types and quality of food that is generally available.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019 at 12:47 PM