1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. mtma

mtma Member

Yeah ING is pretty damned good value. Also the ING Orange Everyday is a debit card if you can't get their credit card, and it also has the international transaction benefits that the credit card product has.

I have BW Zero Platinum for the international transactions (no annual fees, no intl fees plus platinum benefits), but if I were to change/consolidate providers it would probably be ING.

TBH what we get here in Aus is pretty good when it comes to what we pay for everyday banking. Our banks have the 'extract money from investors and borrowers' down pat.

P.S: A comment relating to the video, if you relocate to Japan and need to open a bank account, I would suggest considering Shinsei bank. The guy in the video probably went to a traditional big bank where they're pretty hardcore on the 'things = money' way of doing things.

2. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

Yep, it was about 300m from the station so I suspect he got a lot of practice!

3. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

4. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Did you see it?

5. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

We (wife and I) are up to eps.04........wife seems to get a bit horny from watching it as well.

But the censorship comment is from any DATA-base scraping websites, Japan always has the highest number of categories covering everything to anything you could imagine and yet has those weird censorship laws?!? For goodness sake they have girls 'farting' as a fetish............
    ixxx.com would be such an example.
    Aussies are weird a mob but the Japanese are far more sophisticated and take it to whole new levels?!?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    chainbolt likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

In case you don't know, check out eel girl. :D

7. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Sounds scary.........

chainbolt likes this.
  8. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

9. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

According to the article, it should be possible with a JLR pass, but only Osaka to Tokyo, not the opposite direction.

Ronald Reagan likes this.
  10. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

Yeah, seems like have to book in advance as well (which I will try to do). Cannot do so online apparently, has to be at a Midori no Madoguchi office. Here's hoping they can speak English and understand my request :Paranoid:

11. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Uphill battle :D

But they are always polite - customer is king - this helps.

12. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

i just requested a replcement card and they gave me a mastercard ... which is supposedly no fee... so i should be all good to go.

chainbolt likes this.
  13. Tinian

Tinian Member

Not your salary, just $1000 a month.
    ING cover the ATM withdrawal fees and exchange fees. It's why I use them.

chainbolt likes this.
  14. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

Booked in my 5th trip to Okinawa. Getting there can be expensive but it's my preferred beach/relaxing place in all of Asia, now that I have a kid. Clean, safe, organised like Japan, friendly people and great food like Japan, and beaches clean as you can imagine. Okinawan cultural touch makes it interesting, too. Hire a car, and drive around smooth roads with good scenery.

Flying from Australia is at least a stop somewhere but it's direct for me so comparable to distance to places like Phuket.

chainbolt likes this.
  15. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Make sure to partake of their purple sweet potato as much as possible as it is a super-food.

chainbolt likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Just a sweet potatoe. :D

17. Daveros

Daveros Member

Thanks guys. We looked at SK but we settled on Taiwan.

At ~¥11000 each way, it wasn’t terrible at all - out of HND too, which is even better. Stupid time of day, but whatever.

18. G-Man

G-Man Member

Does anybody know if you can get a JR rail pass once in japan? say in the airport or something?

I'm on a job across the way and need to a) renew my visa and b) kill a week of time so i'm ducking into Japan last minute (Decided today to book a ticket for sat morning), but obviously this does not give me the time to organise a rail pass.
    Can I still buy individual tickets from the machines at every stop instead if need be?

19. Boneman

Boneman Member

You can purchase the JR Pass from the airport now within Japan.

Or just purchase a blank Pasmo/Suica for 500 yen from a ticket machine and charge it with your own cash, might be cheaper than the Pass in the long run.

(also you can buy individual tickets but its a pain in the ass)

G-Man likes this.
  20. Daveros

Daveros Member

I like the Pasmo* tbh, easier as you can use on the municipal subway lines that aren’t JR. Plus you can use Pasmo* to tap and go at a variety of places, including 7/11 and SEGA arcades, if you’re like me and overcharge it.

*Suica is probably the same, but I grabbed Pasmo so that’s all I know