1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. Boneman

Boneman Member

Yes no difference between the cards and usage, just different companies.

Daveros likes this.
  2. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

would someone be able to check my Japanese on this text?

こんにちは。 JRパスを12月16日に開始したいと思います。 また、JRパスを使用して、12月22日00:32に大阪を出発する大阪から東京への日の出出雲でののびの席を予約します。 ありがとうございました

I basically want to book the sunrise izumo train and get my JR pass activated on a set date. Does any of it sound awkward or have the potential to be misunderstood when I present it to the staff at the JR office?

3. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

Any tips for NYE in Tokyo? Would love somewhere with a bit of a party atmosphere!

Flying into Osaka on the 26th to make my way to Tokyo for the 31st then out to Nagano on the 2nd.

Osaka - 5 days (+ day trips to Kyoto etc)
    Tokyo - 2 days (31st Dec - 2nd Jan)
    Hakuba - 7 days
    Tokyo - 3 days (Hoping to do Tokyo Autosalon!)

Also any tips on renting something sporty for a day trip out to Hakone Turnpike?

4. Hater

Hater Member

Rental819 were easy to deal with if by sporty you mean motorcycle

5. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

ha. if only. I'll be with the missus so it'll need to be a 2 seater.
    It's hard enough to get her on the back of the bike during spring in Sydney, no chance of winter in Japan.

6. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

https://fun2drive-japan.com/

Rent an NSX or something :leet:

7. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

"New Year" is a different thing in Japan. Very silent and private, no fireworks at all, people stay with their families. But maybe in places like Roppongi or Shibuya the bars catering to the foreign community have parties running.

8. Tinian

Tinian Member

chainbolt has a sporty two seater - borrow that.

9. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

4-seater ;)

10. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

Yep, not expecting a Times Square NYC style celebration but given I don’t have family in Japan to quietly reflect with I’m looking for something to do! :D

Looks like as cliche as it is Shibuya crossing countdown is a thing? Then maybe a local bar? Any idea if you need tickets for such events?

Sold. Where do I pick it up? ;)

11. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Where to Be on New Year’s Eve: Tokyo Countdown Parties

Mostly Shibuya.

12. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

My Japanese wife has reviewed the above and commented below:

Sunrise izumo is called as it is, not 日の出出雲, and the seat is called nobinobi zaseki. Thus,it should be like ➡ JRパスを利用して12月22日の0:32、大阪発東京行きのサンライズ出雲のノビノビ座席を予約したいです。

coolroy and Ronald Reagan like this.
  13. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

Thanks for that mate, really appreciate it :)

14. Speaker4TheDead

Speaker4TheDead Member

For new years celebrations there are also Hotel bars/parties.
    Hilton at Shinjuku always have some whacky band playing.. one year was a Kiss Tribute band.. so weird and awesome.

You can always do the fully Japanese thing and go to a temple. If you like crowds and don't mind a long shuffle go to Senso-ji in Asakusa. Its a pretty unique experience if you don't have young children with you.

[KEi]SoVeReIgN likes this.
  15. Boneman

Boneman Member

Find any Hub British Pub and they do the countdown thing too. Shinjuku, Takadanobaba good places rather than boring Shibuya.

16. sanjay

sanjay Member

is this really necessary? im off to japan next friday and will be activating my JR pass to start on 12 december (and will want to reserve some seats to kyoto, hiroshima and back to narita)...hoping that the JR rail staff will at least have someone on hand who speaks english?

17. Boneman

Boneman Member

Google Translate/Siri will do the job these days, all good.

18. Tinian

Tinian Member

I've always managed to have someone with enough English to assist. They know their job and see enough foreigners in travel service centers. Although if i'm with my wife, she does all the talking anyway.

19. Daveros

Daveros Member

Haven’t always had much luck with full English, but there’s always a bit of English kicking about. I screwed up my Pasmo card once at a JR station in Sakuragicho (it was my fault, I’d tapped on at the station, realised I’d made a mistake and wanted to leave again) and it took quite a while for them to work out what was going on. He didn’t speak English but we hit on the word “mistake” and he did actually click to what the frig I was on about. So there’s always some somewhere.

You can make do, especially in the big tourist spots, but if you want to be 100% sure, nowt wrong with a translation in your back pocket.

That said, all the computers for tickets that I’ve used have had an English language option, so it’s easy enough. Ive spent half a year over the last little while in Japan, with literally the barest of Japanese possible, and you can usually get by.

20. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

I don't think it's necessary just to exchange JR pass as so many others do that anyway - i'm sure they'd understand what you want.
    But mine is regarding the Sunrise Izumo reservation which not many foreigners know about using their JR pass for. A friend of mine who's rode it before suggested having the request written down so they know exactly what you're after as that train has different routes and timings far and few apart.