1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. sanjay

sanjay Member

ah ok, yeah i wont be trying anything unique like that on this trip...maybe next time! (already have a list of things for trip #2 that we cant fit into this one...)

2. coolroy

coolroy Member

There is an online form for jr train travel,single page form, i print out and tick the appropriate boxes, place dates and times and train number.
    Its in english and japanese
    JR staff seem happy when i provide my bookings with it.

http://www.sol.dti.ne.jp/~sasaki-y/a006/b0005/c0003.html
    Hope this helps.

Ronald Reagan and [KEi]SoVeReIgN like this.
  3. sanjay

sanjay Member

thanks coolroy, that looks like it could be very helpful.

4. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

It makes things so much easier for day to day interactions in Japanese - compared to 20 years ago. But it still won't help you, if you go into more complex situations, like a physician explaining a diagnosis or lab results, or a real estate agent explaining the small print in a sales contract. 100% failure with Google translate.

coolroy likes this.
  5. coolroy

coolroy Member

Yep google translate didnt cut the mustard for me today...sigh.
    Did make my wife smile heaps whilst i struggled to explain.

Still with so many friendly Japanese trying to help eventually all was achieved.

6. sanjay

sanjay Member

Just encountering a new problem with my prepping for japan - ive got a korjo japan adaptor but it only has two prongs, which means it only has two holes on the australian side. totally useless for any australian three pronged device (including the powercube that i travel with).

ive got a US adaptor too, which has a round earth pin. however, i understand most power outlets in japan are ungrounded (which seems totally safe...). whats the solution? break the earth pin off of my adaptor? i might be heading to a don quijote sooner after i land than i expected...

7. miicah

miicah Member

Yep, we only ever had adapters with no ground pin. And made sure we had ones with the full aussie 3 prong on the other side.

8. Daveros

Daveros Member

If you have the time before you go, some of those multi-adapters can take the three in but spit out only two on the other side.

I bought one last year (which I can’t find on amazon now, but this seems similar) and it does me. I was always tempted to just snap off the ground, though, on the few US adapters I had kicking about. Can’t see it being an issue.

hippyhippy likes this.
  9. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Thanks.. got it

Hotel booked.. now just need to figure out what to do for a week in Tokyo.. decided against travelling around... just want to relax.

Daveros likes this.
  10. sanjay

sanjay Member

oh god, i had one of those in hong kong and it sparked and turned to smoke. wont be trying that again.

looks like reddit is suggesting going straight for a daiso to get an adaptor once we hit tokyo. theres one in asakusa near where we're staying. :D

Daveros likes this.
  11. coolroy

coolroy Member

Just a heads up, just visited Kyoto (from Osaka) for a day trip.

I know it is a sunday & would be busier than normal but our experience was poor due to large number of tourists coming from just one country...

Noisy, pushy, queue jumping..what more can i say.

The saving grace was the beauty of the places we visited & the helpfullnes of the locals.

Would not suggest visiting Kyoto whilst these hordes of poorly behaved tourists are runing around...maybe in the cooler months it becomes quieter and more enjoyable?

12. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

Are there any retro gaming bars/cafes in Osaka that use old TVs (e.g. Sony PVM) for playing the games? I know of some cafes that use newer TVs but the input lag would drive me nuts.

13. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

You really seem to have a grudge against a certain demographic, don't you?

I'm an Aussie, who visited Kyoto last year during Spring and it wasn't that bad...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  14. miicah

miicah Member

There's a Daiso everywhere lol

chainbolt likes this.
  15. Tinian

Tinian Member

Any demographic that is largely noisy, pushy and queue jumping is irritating. They simply lack the manners to participate in civilised society. That's not to say they're all like that - just there's a billion of them...

Arctic_Silver08 likes this.
  16. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

That is also my experience with mainlanders... they are amongst the worst...

chainbolt, coolroy and Ronald Reagan like this.
  17. bart5986

bart5986 Member

If you look at literally any Japan travel forum, reddit, trip advisor etc you will all see them complaining about disrespectful chinese in Japan.

Its very common and easy to spot.

Having said that when I was in Japan it wasn't that bad, but I also didn't go in peak travel season so that makes sense.

chainbolt, coolroy and Ronald Reagan like this.
  18. coolroy

coolroy Member

Nope just honest with my posts.

For example, today spent a highly enjoyable day at Nagoya.

No crowds at all,as this is probably not on most tourists agenda to visit.

Certainly noticed only a handfull of tourists whilst walking around and they were either aussie or europeans in the main.

Please dont expect me to ignore poor behaviour & not call it out irrespective of which group is responsible for it.

Ronald Reagan likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Exactly THIS. They are standing out in Japan maybe more than elsewhere, because Japan is a very "silent" country, people do not yell, push, and are trained to cooperate with others. Queuing for example is somehow mentally ingrained. :D. It does not mean at all they are "better" human beings, it's just more pleasant to have them around than mainland Chinese.

20. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

It's not that I don't expect you to call it out, but calling them out on a forum they won't even visit is a bit pointless - unless it is purely to vent?
    It'd be a shame for someone to not visit Kyoto out of fear of hordes of Chinese.

Personally I don't let this sort of thing affect me because at the end of the day, it just ruins your mood and doesn't really achieve anything.

I was doing a bit of reading yesterday on stats and apparently Koreans can be right up there with Chinese in terms of visits to Japan.