Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. Tinian

Tinian Member

The big difference is Korea under Park Chung-hee didn't execute everyone with intellect or manners like Mao did. So it's not surprising that modern day Chinese behave the way they do when the cultural revolution venerated the ignorant farmer.

chainbolt likes this.
  2. G-Man

G-Man Member

Ended up with a suica because that' the first machine I saw. Got caught out because it either didn't tell me or I didn't pay enough attention:

1. Got the welcome suica pass. 28 day validity and no refunds on remaining balance. Managed to spend most of the remainder of my balance in the airport on snacks. I think I had 80y left on it by the end, was tempted to leave it at the machine for the next guy but didn't get around to it. (Still had ~20 days on it)

2. It doesn't cover the narita express. Didn't realise until ticket inspector came, but he was cool. Just lucky i had enough cash to cover the ticket (Only just, didn't have a whole lot on me yet).

3. I got the holiday pass without reading the fine print because it sounded good on paper. Unlimited trips on main lines. Bit I missed: Valid only for the day of purchase (So I didn't even use it at all). Also only valid on weekends/public holidays but if it's only for day of purchase you probably can't buy it on days you cant use it. That was a waste of nearly 2.7k yen.

I probably should have got a longer lasting card as I will be back in Feb anyway, but I thought this might be helpful information for someone. (If there's anyone as useless as me out there, at least)

3. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

It seems that Korean tourists are mainly visiting Kyushu - it's just a 50 minute flight from Seoul, or 30 minutes from Busan. Recently though the number of Koreans visiting Japan has significantly dropped:

S. Korean tourist numbers in Japan fall amid diplomatic feud

Will this "war time shit" ever end?

4. miicah

miicah Member

5. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

I was getting my numbers here:
    https://www.tourism.jp/en/tourism-database/stats/inbound/#country
    https://www.nippon.com/en/japan-data/h00375/overseas-visitors-to-japan-in-2018-top-31-million.html

6. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

7. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

Correct, as of 2018 close to a 50/50 ratio.
    Dropping or otherwise, I'm basing what I said of last years stats (A full year, which this is not)

8. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

True, despite the recent drop, Koreans are still one of the biggest tourist groups to Japan. No doubt.

According to your source, they are the 3 biggest visitor group:

Jan to Sept 2019:
    • China: 820,000
    • Taiwan: 370,000
    • Korea: 200,000
    • Hong Kong: 180,000
    • Australia 61,000
    And in 2018, they were the second biggest group even before Taiwan.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Arctic_Silver08 likes this.
  9. coolroy

coolroy Member

A fantastic day at Minoo falls just outside the city of Osaka.

The walk to the falls with the fall foliage was stunningly beautiful & highly recommend anyone to visit at this time of year.

Managed to drop my brand new Sony camera's lens cap down the hillsides....never was going to be able to retrieve it safely...sigh. :eek:

All good now though, after a quick stop on the way back at a Yodabashi building & just 1050 yen lighter in the pocket & i had a new Sony orriginal lens cap.:):thumbup:

10. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

How did you get there from Osaka? Is it possible to get off at Minoo station and walk there?

11. mtma

mtma Member

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Ronald Reagan likes this.
  12. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

Thanks! Any idea on where to hire cycles from? Does the park provide that as well?

I noticed it says "When visiting the park by bicycle, please park at the bicycle parking lot in front of the station or at the entrance of the park entrance and walk on foot."
    Do people still cycle through though, as you said?

13. mtma

mtma Member

Actually looking at it again they don't permit cycling, at first I thought that it was that they needed you to dismount on narrow paths. Sorry, bum steer.

14. coolroy

coolroy Member

Take Hankyu Takarazuka line bound for Takarazuka depart platform 4 or 5 get off at Ishibashi about 15mins ride

At Ishibashi change lines and take Hankyu Minoo line to Minoo about 6mins ride.

Then you have to walk, as others have said path does not allow bikes.

Nice walk though, allow one hour from train station to get to falls.

Ronald Reagan likes this.
  15. coolroy

coolroy Member

Noticed that Kobe prices on both clothes, shoes, boots, souveniers, even bags appear better priced than either Tokyo or Osaka.

Not only that but the shopping malls are fairly quite and the shop keepers seem to be even more friendly, if thats possible considering the service levels you find all over Japan.

Maybe they dont get as many tourists, although i noticed a large passenger ship in port the other day we visited Kobe.

For those that enjoy good coffee imho Excellsiors as a chain seems to be the best & Tully's the worst ( even double shot at Tully's was sooo weak).

Doutor make good hot cocoa drinks if anyone is chasing one in the cooler months here.

16. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Where in Tokyo can i go hire your avatar, herr chainbolt? :D

chainbolt likes this.
  17. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Any pics?

18. coolroy

coolroy Member

Will try posting a couple when i get back...my photography wont do the views justice though.

19. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I knew already, it would get your full attention. ;) I will pm you.

20. LayZ

LayZ Member

Well, booked another month long trip to Japan for all of Feb. I have now successfully completed my minor in Japanese at uni, keen to stretch my legs as I find every trip I learn far more and improve a lot compared to study at home. Plan is as follows:
    1. Tokyo - 2 days
    2. Shizuoka/Hakone area - 3 days
    3. Hamamatsu - 3 days
    4. Toyota - 3 days
    5. Gifu - 3 days
    6. Drive back to Tokyo
    7. Tokyo - 1 day
    8. Osaka - 7 days inc. Hiroshima, Kyoto, Kobe
    9. Tokyo - 2 days
    Very excited to attend a big time attack event at Tsukuba on the second last day, I attended 3ish years ago but the scene has exploded since.

Up for suggestions for as we drive between 2 to 5. Nippon rent a car has 40% off 4+ days rental so it ended up being real cheap.

Unfortunately we booked this a while ago via Hong Kong and after all the protests and dramas it looks like it isn't worth even leaving the airport for our 6 hour stop over. Hong Kong Airlines is also in the shit, hope they make it to Feb... I purposely booked travel insurance a few months ago that included defaulting etc but am still not looking forward to a possible claim and dealing with the movements. It was booked on points so I am hoping if worse comes to worst Virgin will help us and rebook us via Singapore Airlines....