1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. mtma

mtma Member

Nice catch!

It's not easy to get away from those slanting poles and buildings without a proper shutter with the speed the Shinkansen moves along at.

coolroy likes this.
  2. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

Thanks Chainy!

Last time we were in Roppongi we went to Inazuma, can't recommend it enough - we actually stayed in the same building
    http://inazumabeer.com/

chainbolt likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Another good place in Roppongi, adjacent to the Roppongi Hills complex is "Cafe 8". It's serving actually Chinese food, in good quality and large quantities, and it has some very unique interior decoration.

[​IMG]

4. jackdaw

jackdaw Member

Hope someone can help.. Chainbolt?
    Osaka Sumo - March
    I know the tickets go on sale February 2.
    Do online sales start at 12am or at open of business? i.e 8am or 9am
    I'll be booking through the official Oosumo site.
    I know they sell out fast (I missed out on Tokyo tickets earlier this year)

5. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

Just got back from Japan, thought I’d share some of my highlights:

- Shot over 30 rolls of film, which is a lot for me. I’m going to have to start a gofundme to be able to afford to develop them

- Tried puffer fish, horse, sea urchin all raw for the first time. T’was was very nice

- Saw a guy buy a $60,000 Esoteric CD player and pay for it with a briefcase of yen. Really shows how cash based this society is

- Kissaten (cafe) hopping for the best aesthetic, coffee and cream sodas. The cream sodas really are to die for

- Got into a restaurant next to Mt. Fuji after midnight..it was closed but the workers thought it’d be fun to have me in. Lot of banter and drinks that night. Definitely had a lot of fun. It’s called High Spirits in Fujikawaguchiko and is an Izakaya style restaurant.

- Had executives from Panasonic corporation sit next to me on the Thunderbird to Osaka and down convenience store beers one after another

- Ran into a bar full of pilots who thought I was a pilot as well, and the youngest pilot they’d seen at that. I went with it but it only lasted so long. Ended up getting kisses from Cathay Pacific air hostesses and locals taking photos with me. Legit such a lively bar - it’s called JetLag in Narita (near the airport).

- And of course, met the nicest, most talented people whom I got to learn so much about.

FYI: I travelled all by myself which I’d never done before. I was not looking forward to that at first but now I’m glad I did though as I don’t think I’d have had this much fun if I had a girlfriend or friend around to worry about their needs and wants. I’m sure I’ve forgot about some more memorable moments so will update once more come to mind :thumbup:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    LayZ, coolroy and Daveros like this.
  6. ztorma

ztorma Member

Hi

I need help

Can you recommend accommodation for 2 adults and 2 children (4 and 8 yr old) early May 2020?
    The following areas would be preferred; Shinjuku or Ginza (also we are open for ideas)

Our likes: food, technology and a trip to Dizney Land

7. jackdaw

jackdaw Member

I like Ueno area.
    15 mins by train to Ginza
    30 mins to Disneyland
    Great food at Ameyoko
    2 stops to Nippori for easy Skyliner Narita access.
    Stayed here http://www.tougane-h.com/e/ 3 times before.
    Great location/price/staff

chainbolt and ztorma like this.
  8. ztorma

ztorma Member

May I also ask what is the best solution for having our phones work over there? International roaming or just buy a local SIM?

9. Gunna

Gunna Member

Depends on roaming costs and duration of stay. Work or personal? Need to be contacted at all time?

I sign off on the phone bill for work and have a work phone so opt for roaming.

ztorma likes this.
  10. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

You can get sim from klook.. pickup at the airport.. I also got train tickets from them.. pretty easy top do.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    ztorma likes this.
  11. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

Order a SIM card online before you arrive and pick it up at the airport. Alternatively some providers ship to your Australian address so you can insert the SIM in before you depart and have it ready to use once you land.
    I used these guys and found it to be good value: https://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/
    It was the only SIM I could find that didn't throttle the speed. A lot of the 'Unlimited data' plans actually throttle your speed to something quite slow (~100kbps) after you hit a few gb of use per day.

ztorma likes this.
  12. sanjay

sanjay Member

When I was recently in Japan I used Optus prepaid $20 roaming pack https://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/international-roaming/prepaid

It was an absolute mess setting them up though because I already have services with Optus and couldn't activate the SIMs normally. Ended up only having one activated a couple of days into the trip. However, it worked well and gave us 10gb at full 4G speeds to use over 14 days.

We stayed in Asakusa while in Tokyo which I found to be pretty much perfect. We could check out the old temples in the area in the early morning and at night when they weren't too busy.

The JR Rail Pass is also absolutely phenomenal - we used ours to go to Kyoto, Hiroshima and Fukuoka before riding a shinkansen all the way back to Tokyo Station and the JR Narita Express to Narita (town), where we stayed overnight before our flight home the following morning.

chainbolt and ztorma like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

And they have a lot of budget hotels in this area. And for what it matters: The "Tokyo National Museum" is also in Ueno.

14. sanjay

sanjay Member

I didn't love the national Museum or the national science museum. Real lack of English signage meant it was mostly aimless looking around (and a nasty experience in what it would feel like to be illiterate).

Miraikan, in odaiba Bay, however, was fantastic. We caught the ferry (more like a space ship) from Asakusa port which was a really picturesque way to get there (if a bit pricey).

(that said, the subway lines that go to odaiba Bay are also pretty expensive).

15. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Well, Miraikan, (I have not been there yet), seems to be a very different sort of museum than the National Art Museum. The later is certainly more for "Japan geeks". :D

16. Gunna

Gunna Member

So I leave on Monday, any good restaurants or must visit places for food\entertainment\sight seeing in Shinjuku?

17. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

Heading over in Feb though the snows not looking too crash hot at the moment. Hope it picks up!

18. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

I went to a nice pub in Shinjuku called Sasuke..had a unique seating area where you can essentially sit inside the roof.

https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/bars-and-pubs/sasuke

Another great bar near Shinjuku, in Akasaka, is this one: https://g.co/kgs/g7Wc79
    Probably the most surreal bar I've been to in my life. If you're lucky you might be there on a night when Geishas perform. I think they have one on the 25th of Jan from 5-8pm. Otherwise this place is only open to the public on weds to fri.

I wrote an in depth review of my experience at music bars across Japan here if anyone's interested: https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/298991-my-experience-at-music-bars-in-japan

Oh, and defs go here for morning coffee/breakfast in Shinjuku: https://en.goodcoffee.me/coffeeshop/coffee-seibu/

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    chainbolt likes this.
  19. Zee

Zee Member

Off to Japan on Wednesday morning, assuming Taal doesn't blow it's top between now and then and stops air traffic in its tracks.

Anyone been to Hakuba? I've heard it's pretty easy to get around the town, from what I've researched, anyway. Just want to make sure this is the case, as the little lady seems to be concerned that we may need a car (too much time int he US, I think).

Z...

20. Gunna

Gunna Member

Got back on Saturday, what a place I loved it.

Can't wait to go back